“Great weekend away”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Great weekend away”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel is in a spectacular position overlooking the loch, even though we had a first floor room we looked over the Ballachulish Bridge. The food , the staff and rooms were fantastic. This was on a deal and it was worth every penny of it at full price.

Room Tip: Chose a room on the ground floor and with views down the loch from the Velux type windows it is spec...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay with us in November. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and felt that everything was good for you. I have passed your comments over to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Tracy Mackintosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Polish first
Strathaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the hotel at the beginning of December, almost a year after our first visit.

Yes, maybe the hotel needs some upgrading, but not enough to stop us from going back. We had a voucher which included breakfast, evening meal & bottle of wine in room.

First thing we did was to secure a second night there so we could relax & explore the area. We were given a similar room rate, not including dinner, but still saved about £30.

Staff were very attentive, specifically Ian, Stella & Dorothy, in fact, you'd think they ran the place themselves!! Ian was there last thing at night manning the bar and again serving breakfast in the morning. Stella was very friendly and went out her way to make sure you were happy with everything in the restaurant. Dorothy, well, she was a fantastic lady who made us feel very welcome.

We will be going back to this hotel next year and would highly recommend it to anyone who wishes a relaxing stay.

I've read the negative reviews and can't really understand where some people are coming from!!

Stayed December 2012
1 Thank AlisonD1905
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay again and stayed an extra night. I have passed on your thanks to Stella, Ian and Dorothy for a job well done.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles again next year.

Selby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel is situated fabulously, but we truly believe that this has allowed the hotel to become complacent. Most of the staff work hard, but the general feeling we got was that we were lucky that they accepted our booking. Breakfast was average. Our starters for our evening meal were OK. We both ordered roast leg of lamb with a red wine jus, for main course, but got what looked like sliced beef in Bisto gravy! Desserts were lovely though. Pool facilities were poor. Radiator in bedroom moaned all night, even made more noise than my snoring!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Keith F
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am sorry and disappointed that it was not as you had hoped. I am surprised that you felt that the staff made you feel the way that you did and I have passed your comments onto the team. We all work very hard to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us and encourage feedback from our guests whether good or bad. I can assure you that our meat products are cooked on site and our sauces are made fresh every day. We would not serve beef and advertise it as lamb. I would ask if you brought the issue with your main course to the attention on the F&B Manager or Head Chef at all.
I am sorry that you felt that the Pool facilities were poor. Many of our guests book the Isles for the Leisure facilities and many of them use the facilities. Although it is a relatively small pool it is also very popular with the locals and we do have quite a substantial membership base.
I apologise that your radiator was making a noise throughout the night. I would ask again if you brought this to our attention so that our maintenance team could attend to this as I am not aware of any problems with our radiators in our rooms.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I attended a wedding held here. The general consensus was that while the location was stunning, we paid through the nose for mediocre food and disinterested service.
Particularly concerning the food. It was over priced for what we got. I think the general public have got better when it comes to expected standard and this hotel has been left behind.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Dibblydowcus
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us to attend a wedding. I am obviously disappointed that it was not as you had hoped. We have hosted 15 weddings this year and each one has been a great success with very positive comments being given to the staff in relation to the food and service. We all work very hard to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay and had we known that there was a problem, then we would have done our utmost to rectify the situation for you.

Many thanks again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Friendly, helpful staff woefully let down by a hotel suffering from no investment. Shoogly dinner tables and very tired furniture and decor throughout the hotel. Average food but decent value if on an inclusive deal. Perfect location that deserves a lot better.

• Stayed November 2012
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. We do recognise that the Hotel is in need of some refurbishment and I am hoping that this will start to happen in 2013.
I appreciate your comments and hope that it won't deter you from returning to stay again.
I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We first came to this hotel a number of years ago (pre kids and marriage) and were breath taken by its setting.
Our circumstances have changed somewhat, having four children in tow, the youngest of which is not yet 9 months as I type. Our normal weekend away with the kids usually involves a cottage with nearby long walks, wood burning stove, nature/ farmland; essentially peace and complete isolation - a stark contrast!
We decided to return with the kids for their first stay in a hotel.

To cut to the chase, here's the Pros and Cons:

PROS:
LOCATION. Outstanding natural beauty, something money can't buy, makes you proud to be Scottish!
SWIMMING POOL Small, warm, fun pool. Great fun was had by our kids in the pool. Note pool is unsupervised.
FRIENDLY STAFF: Very accommodating and personable staff. From front reception to waiting staff, all were exceptionally friendly, professional and polite.
BUNK ROOMS: A simple partition wall separates the bunk bed area from the rest of the room creating a den like space for the kids to play and sleep.
FOOD: Breakfast was served buffet style and was good. Early dinner with kids was both accommodating and very tasty!

CONS:
ROOMS. Whilst clean and presentable, there are some things that seem tired and out of date. Old TVs with poor reception / signal. Lamp fixtures that didn't work. Dated bathrooms with partition separating bath from toilet (assume for pipe work?) with door swing making it very awkward to get to the WC. Carpets may have outlived their lifespan.
NOISE: I will admit that as a young family who are susceptible to noise at earlyish bedtimes we may be a bit harsh on this point. (And of course no hotel can legislate for the noise caused by other guests) I would nonetheless note the following : the noise billowing from the restaurant was excessive. The noise between rooms was excessive, particularly the noise from the room above- seemed like floors were paper thin. The banging of doors in the corridor made for an uneasy night with a young baby. We had 'I'm a celebrity' in mulitiroom stero ( and we didn't even have our old telly on!)
As I type (we're still here) there's a guy hanging out the window next door with a cigarette murdering some god awful song at the top of his voice and I think the room upstairs are having a piano delivered. :(
DINING ROOM: well presented in the evening, tablecloths off for breakfast, revealing some tatty old tabletops.

In conclusion, it's probably a victim of accumulating several too many costly maintenance issues over these austere times. A beautiful setting with so much more potential.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank dunstable78
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Leisure facilities and that your children had a good time. I have passed on your comments to my staff who all work hard to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable experience at the Hotel. I am also pleased that our Family Deck Den room suited your needs, with the bunks in a separate partition to the main room. I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast and that accommodating you early for dinner was beneficial to you.
With regards to the room that you occupied, we are aware that a number of our rooms are in need of updating. The partition in the bathroom separating the bath from the toilet is a deliberate design feature in all of the rooms in the South Wing. I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from the Restaurant and from other rooms. Unfortunately, the soundproofing is not as good as it used to be, but as we work through the rooms, I have asked that the soundproofing throughout be addressed at the same time.
I am obviously disappointed too that some guests have chosen to smoke in their rooms, when we are a totally non-smoking hotel. We do charge guests for smoking in their rooms as it is an offence, so I thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Thank you overall for your comments both positive and negative and I hope that I can welcome you back to the Isles again in the future.

Largs
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a Saturday night using a voucher which gave us dinner BnB, and a bottle of wine in the room - what a deal.

Firstly, your in Glencoe! Glencoe, I say!

The hotel appears modern, but is just seems wee bit tired. Can't quite put my finger on why. Could do with a separate bar area (not the reception) and the lounge seems very 'stuck in the middle' of the restaurant.

The staff were all very polite and pleasant. They were very attentive, from the young girl at check in to all the staff at meal times.

The view from our room was magical (Rm 314), looking over the loch and the iconic mountain 'Pap of Glencoe'. We had patio doors from the room out onto the loch side. The room is bigger than your other average hotels with a seating area, a double bed and a single, and a good size bathroom. TV, tea / coffee, etc all provided.

Tip: if you get a room down at 314 end you can park your car at the side of the hotel, use a fire escape and carry your bags a few meters to your room - dawdle.

What I was most impressed with, and have never had before, was the attention to the fact we had out wee dog with us. Small supplement to pay for taking your dog, and a wee list of 3 or 4 rules on arrival re your precious pet, however it was printed on a wee laminated paper bone (nice touch) which was left in the room. A blanket was provided, and a bowl with some dried doggy food - first time any hotel has provided any form of service over and above the 'extra cleaning cost' crap. Top marks Isles of Glencoe.

Nice bottle of red in the room also.

Food was okay, but a bit coach partyish. Not a huge selection, but enough to keep you happy. Breakfast was good. I know folk moan about a buffet breakfast, but it was very warm, tasty, and plenty of choice. Fresh coffee also.

Didn't use the pool as we were out in the Glen walking.

Overall, I was very happy with our cracking deal via 5pm.com.

Some great touches with the dog hospitality, bottle of wine, and the staff are a credit to the hotel.

Room Tip: Tip: if you get a room down at 314 end you can park your car at the side of the hotel, use a fire es...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that your dog enjoyed it too. We are a "doggy destination" and have been for as long as the Hotel has been open and we all enjoy meeting and petting all dogs that come through our doors. We are also open to other pets, should people wish to bring them with them.
I do recognise, as do my Managers, that the Hotel is in need of a bit of TLC and investment and I am hoping that this move forward in the new year.
I have passed on your comments to my team who are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope that I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Isles again in the future and that you might have the chance to sample the Leisure facilities next time.

Tracy Mackintosh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
Onich Hotel
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!