“excellent holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
edinburgh
“excellent holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Came up on a coach holiday, staff were always friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for you. Food was great with a good choice, room was good with a view of the loch, would reccomend to anyone, I will be back to stay again.

Room Tip: Any room is good as rooms have either a view of loch or hills.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the food and have passed on your comments to my staff.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles again, be it by coach or by car.

Tracy Mackintosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Polish first
Paisley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Isles of Glencoe Hotel is located in a stunning location and we found it to be well run but needing a bit of TLC, We had a great room with patio doors onto the grassed area between the hotel and the Loch. The staff were very friendly and helpful but the hotel fals just short of being brilliant. There is a nice enough little pool and sauna which is great for relaxing after a day out in the country. The restaurant is ok but lacks a bit of atmosphere. Nice in the conservatory for breakfast but loses the heat quickly at night. the buffet style breakfast was ok but why the long walk to it? Not the best black pudding I've tasted either. The food was ok but really needs to be better. The house keeping needs to be looked at too-mould on grout in showers is just not acceptable these days. Furniture and decor is generally well past the sell by date-creaky dining room chairs and worn fabric not good enough. But oh what potential. We enjoyed our break and will go back b ut we hope for better.

Room Tip: Rooms 1.6 and 1.7 are large rooms with patio doors onto a lovely all day view - see the photo
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and would return. I do recognise as do my Managers that the fabric of the Hotel is in need of an uplift and we are currently decorating a number of rooms and looking at new fabric for our restaurant chairs.
I have passed your comments in regards to the breakfast buffet over to my Kitchen and Restaurant team. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the black pudding. It is a very popular choice at breakfast and we cook lots of it for our guests.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future and hope that you will enjoy your breakfast more next time.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I always enjoy coming upto the Glencoe area and the Isles of Glencoe was a great place to stay. We stayed during the October holidays, the hotel has a very relaxed feel and this certainly contributed to our break. The food was good, the service was attentive and the staff were always helpful. A refurb is required in the lounge area, especially the sofas but the rooms were fine. Will be back next year!

Room Tip: A table in the conservatory for lunch/dinner is a must
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your break with us again at the Isles and I have passed on your feedback to my team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles again next year.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here a few weeks ago - September 2012.
Gorgeous location and a poor hotel.
No distinction in the layout with a children's area, lounge area and bar area all rolled into one.
The food was poor and numerous guests around us complained about the same issue - i.e. cold food.
The room was OK in a very standard 3 star way and we finished our two day break feeling a bit disgruntled and disappointed. The staff were all trying very hard but they were lacking direction and it was a regular occurrence to see doors left open to storage areas with cleaning equipment lying about etc.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere the place is without character
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in September. I am disappointed that your stay was not as you had hoped and that you had not brought this to the attention of myself or my team.
We are a family orientated hotel and the design of it is very open plan. We are child and pet friendly hence why we have a table for children in the Lounge, as well as under the stairs in Reception and a Kids Den on the ground floor of the South wing of the Hotel.
I have passed your comments onto my Kitchen team in regards to "cold food", but unfortunately cannot comment as I am not aware of any issues having been raised. I will however, investigate this further with my Restaurant team.
I have passed your comments over to my Housekeeping department in regards to cupboards being left open as I know from regularly walking around the Hotel that our cupboards are kept closed and locked when not in use, so I apologise if there were some cupboards open, though I am sure that it would have been for a reason.
Should you wish to discuss your stay further then please do contact me direct on 01855 812220 or e-mail me at gm.glencoe@akkeronhotels.com.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Isles of Glencoe. Hotel beautifully located on the Loch with stunning views. Weather really good too!

Staff so friendly and all go out of their way to ensure guests have an enjoyable stay. We were a party of 8, 6 adults and 2 children. Nothing too much trouble. Our family rooms were all located together on the second floor. Our room was really large with views of the loch. King size bed that was so comfortable, bunk beds for children which were really good as they were secluded from our bed with a small tv. also another tv in the main part of the room, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, 2 easy chairs and bedside cabinets. Heating in the room was excellent as was the heated towel rail in the bathroom. Shower really powerful, with his and her sinks, all spotless and clean.

Breakfast very good with a varied selection of fruit, pastries, juice, cereal and porridge and a wonderful choice of freshly cooked traditional breakfast i.e bacon, beans, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, sausages, beans, black pudding, potato cakes, scramble or fried eggs all hot and fresh.

We took our little dog and everyone made such a fuss of her, which she loved. Other reviews mention the bar/lounge furniture being tired and worn, although this is the case it certainly is not as bad as other reviews make out, new furnishings are due. One suggestion would be for this area to have some lamps and plants to make it more homely rather than the strong lighting which will make the lounge/bar more appealing.

We will certainly be back, so thank you to all the staff team.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a great review! Many thanks for this and I have passed on your thanks to my team. I am so pleased that you all enjoyed your stay and that the weather was in your favour too. We endeavour to make all of our guests stays as enjoyable as possible and I am delighted that we have managed to do this for you.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles again in the future.

Yarm, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We were a little worried having read some of the reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. Yes the hotel is looking tired and could really do with new carpets and furniture, but everywhere was clean and the staff were all friendly. We decided not to eat dinner in the hotel due to the reviews, so can't comment on that, but breakfast was a good selection (although could have been warmer). Our room was clean and tidy and larger than expected (and the shower strong and hot!) but the views really sell it. They are simply stunning-definitely worth paying extra for the rooms with a view! We used the 'leisure centre' (not quite sure it's big enough to warrant being called that) and the sauna and pool were good. Nice to come back to a sauna after a day of walking. Overall I would recommend the hotel purely on location, but its definitely not worth the full 'rack' price. We got a reasonable discount deal and I feel it was value for money.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank andreampearson
Many thanks for your comments in regards to your stay with us in October. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and made use of the Leisure facilities after your day of walking. The pool and biosauna are always very popular with our guests, especially if our guests have been out enjoying the walks and scenery around the area. I am sorry that you chose not to have dinner in our restaurant based on reviews that you have read. The majority of our feedback is very positive and I feel that due to a few negative comments on review sites deterring guests from partaking in a meal, is disappointing, given that we cater for a lot of guests throughout the season and beyond. I have however, passed on your comments in relation to breakfast as I am a little concerned if the food is not being kept hot enough.
I am pleased that you would recommend the Hotel and hope that I can welcome you back to the Isles in the future. I hope also that you might decide to have dinner with us also next time.

Erskine, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Pros: The loch-side location and surrounding mountains are stunning. The staff were friendly and helpful. The evening meal and breakfast were both of a high standard and the service was prompt and efficient.

The Cons: The windows in the lounge area, restaurant and bedroom all required cleaning, which was surprising as the available views are a real selling point for this hotel. The facilities in the leisure centre were average at best. The sauna was either not working or switched off and the pool area was dark. The decor and carpets in the bedroom were in need of some TLC, but overall were clean.

Room Tip: Choose a loch-side view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex B
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am delighted that you felt that the staff were friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your meals.
I am sorry that you did not experience the Sauna as it should be and have taken your comments to my Leisure team. We endeavour to ensure that the Sauna is switched on at all times and it should be checked at regular intervals. Unfortunately, the pool was a little on the dark side due to a number of underwater lights having fused at the same time. We now have the majority of them working.
I hope that you will consider the Isles again for a stay and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Tracy Mackintosh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Onich Hotel
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!