“Great view of the Loch”

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Was a bit worried after reading the reviews on this hotel but it was fine, in need of refurbishment but clean, we had a great view of the Loch from our bedroom. Evening meal was nice very authentic thai curry nice cooked breakfast Staff very nice and helpful

Room Tip: View of the Loch
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your meals with us. I have passed on your comments about the Thai curry to my Kitchen team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

Tracy Mackintosh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,632)

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Room had basic furnishings, pretty spacious, with fantastic view of the lakeside out the windows. Desk and dining staff were friendly and informative, dinner and buffet breakfast food good quality. The dining room that faces the loch has heaters under the windows and next to the tables. It can get quite warm if you sit next to the heater so hardier types may want to sit at least one seat away from the window. Despite heavy rain outside, room was cozy but not stuffy and I enjoyed a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water. Some rooms face a playground or the car park.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank algieph
Tracy M, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and got a good night's sleep.
I have passed on your comments to my staff and we hope that we can welcome you back to the Isles in the future.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel has a marvelous situation, is modern and well equipped.

PLUS POINTS :The staff are very friendly and helpful; the leisure complex is small but clean and to a good standard; the buffet breakfast is good.
NEGATIVES: The rooms are approaching the need for a refurbishment (compared to the expectations we had from the website); pets are allowed (dogs barking at 5am and the odd pet smell); the table d'hote meals could be a bit better (e.g. supermarket cheddar served on the dessert menu).
OVERALL: worth a visit but watch your expectations !

Room Tip: Ask for a loch view, most rooms seem to have this.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pauldscotland

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall. I apologise that you were disturbed by a dog barking at 5am. We do accept dogs into the Hotel and have done since the Hotel opened and the vast majority of dogs are very well behaved, with little or no noise from them while they are here.
I apologise also if your meal was not as you had hoped and have brought this to the attention of the Kitchen team. We are currently reviewing our cheese option as we too have noticed that the quality has dropped recently.
Thanks once again and I hope that I can welcome you back to the Isles in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had happily stayed at this hotel on a number times and were quite concerned a the poor reviews it had been having recently. However it being the only place in area with a swimming pool - and we quite like a swim after a long walk we decided to return.

I'm glad we did. As ever the staff were friendly and helpful. There had been a problem with our booking and we had been mistakenly booked into the Ballachulish Hotel instead but this was sorted out with the minimum of fuss and we were checked into a lovely room with one of the best views in the hotel.

I would agree that the hotel is tired and needing some refurbishment but we did notice that there had been repainting in the conservatory and possibly some new carpet so clearly it is a work in progress.

The food isn't outstanding but good enough value for money(we did have a DBB deal). The dinner serivce was probably better than the last time we were there in that we didn't feel so rushed. Breakfast was fine although there seemed to be a wee problem with keeping some of the items hot. On the first morning although I watch the girl bring the eggs from the kitchen they weren't that hot when I ate them - on the second morning it was the beans!

The only other thing was on the second night the public areas in the hotel (corridors dining room) seemed a bit on the cool side, (I went back to the room for an extra layer and was fine) - our bedroom was OK.

I

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you have returned to stay with us again and enjoyed it.
We are trying to work our way through our rooms, painting and decorating when we can and are currently awaiting new Restaurant and Lounge furniture.
I have passed on your comments regarding breakfast and the coolness of the eggs and beans. The fried eggs are cooked to order, and are not generally out long before they need replenished. I am surprised that the beans were not hot enough but have asked the Kitchen team to look into this and ensure that they are piping hot in the morning before service begins.
Due to the external temperatures being a bit up and down at the moment, not all of the heating has yet been turned on for the winter, so I apologise if you felt that you were feeling a bit cool. We have started to light the fire again in the Lounge now as the nights draw in and the Hotel is beginning to heat up nicely in time for the winter.
I hope that you will return to the Isles again and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I used to recommend this hotel to friends and family but not now...its really tired looking and since its takeover the staff are somewhat different. I have been before without the kids albeit a few years back and it was fantastic. I went with the wife and my 2 kids during October 2012. Upon arrival we were told that check-in was until 3pm even though I was told it was 2pm. Having waited for until 3pm, our room was ready.

On entering the room (in the new extended part of the building) we could not have been more disappointed. The windows looking onto the loch were rotting away and were full of dampness. The window didnt lock which was worrying considering my 3 yr old loved looking out the window admiring the view. She could have easily fallen out. Then in the bathroom there was a hole next to the bath. To say we were not impressed would be an understatement. We moved to a new room where the windows could locked however still suffered from lots of dampness. Not wanting to make a fuss we stayed put as the kids were so excited. They had their own wee bunk bed room which they loved.

For dinner the pizza and the lamb kebab tasted something like something you would buy out of Iceland...frozen probably 10 minutes before. The cuisine in this restaurant has went down hill big time. The kids got a balloon at the end. Atleat they were happy!

Breakfast was not any better. The floor in the buffet part was sticky and covered in apple juice and the cooked breakfast was saturated in fat. I stuck with the muesli and toast! Coffee was cold! There seems to be a problem with the salt...both shakers we tried to use were empty!

The only thing that saves this hotel are the views and the lovely walks surrounding the area. If you go its now a very basic 3* hotel. Big shame as it used to be amazing...I would most definately not pay full price as they are looking for £130+ per night!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the loch.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Big_Spinner1

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am disappointed that it was not as as previous years for you.
I sincerely apologise that your room was not as you had hoped. We are in the process of redecorating rooms and bathrooms in the South Wing of the buiding. I apologise that one of the window locks was not working and have brought this to the attention of our maintenance team. All of the windows are fitted with limiters, which prevents them from opening wide unless a button is pressed on the inside of the window.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, but I am not aware of any negative feedback recently from my team, who always endeavour to ensure that our guests enjoy their dining experience.
Should you wish to discuss your stay further with me, please do contact me direct on 01855 812220 or e-mail me at gm.glencoe@akkeronhotels.com.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night in this hotel and that was more than enough. We got a great voucher deal for DB&B so can't complain too much for the price we paid. However I would hate to have paid the full rack rate (quoted as £229) for the same experience.
Agree with the other comments about the hotel being tired and in need of refreshing. The staff are friendly enough but a little more spark wouldn't go amiss. You're in a beautiful setting and you're customer facing, so get happy!
Our room had amazing views over the loch, was clean and tidy but just quite old fashioned. Our bed side lamps didn't work and the interference on the tv was very annoying.
We used both the pool and sauna which were fine if basic.
We decided to eat in the restaurant but would not be in a rush to do this again. Choices were limited and prices didn't reflect the quality of food. Mozzarella salad consisted of mozzarella balls that looked (and tasted) like rabbit droppings. When we asked the waitress we were told that's how they serve it! Our drinks didn't arrive until our main course did and only because we asked twice! My red wine arrived white and took another 5 mins to be corrected. The rest of our meal was fine ( curry and pork options).
We wanted to have a drink before heading for bed but gave up waiting for someone to serve us after 5 mins, despite there being other customers around.
Breakfast was a similar affair with an average quality of food.
The area itself is stunning and well worth a visit. dramatic scenery on the drive there, just a shame the hotel doesnt do it justice. We would not recommend this hotel in its current state.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emcka0

I am sorry that your stay was not as you had hoped. We do recognise that the Hotel does need an uplift in certain areas and we are currently awaiting new Restaurant and Lounge furniture.
I have passed on your comments regarding the TV interference to my maintenance team to investigate.
I apologise that you did not enjoy your dining experience and have passed your comments onto my Kitchen team for review.
I have also taken your comments to my F&B Manager to review with his staff. I sincerely apologise that your drinks order was not correct. Although we do have a couple of new staff in the Restaurant, they are progressing well and we have very few problems with wrong orders.
I hope that you will reconsider your decision not to visit the Isles again and hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

On arrival we were kept waiting for a while as the receptionist was missing, she did eventually sort us out but seemed a bit dizzy. When checking out she was pretty much the same- not good first/last impressions.
The hotel and food were ok, nothing special. The staff were nice and happy enough. The room was clean and tidy, the view across the loch in the morning is priceless.
There is a small pool and jacussi, we didnt use it though.
In the lounge there are sofas and a wood burner which was nice.
Would i stay there again? If there was a deal on probably, there are much nicer hotels in the area though.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room with a Loch view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were not attended to immediately when you arrived. It may have been that the Receptionist had been called to deal with an issue with a room, thus having to leave the Reception for a few moments.
I am pleased that you liked your room and enjoyed the views in the morning.
I hope that you will consider staying at the Isles again and that we can welcome you back in the future.

Tracy Mackintosh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
#14 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!