“Wedding at Isles of Glencoe” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Dunoon, United Kingdom
“Wedding at Isles of Glencoe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

We had a fabulous wedding and weekend with 100 very delighted guests at the Isles and couldn't have chosen a better location. General manager Tracy and all her staff couldn't have been more helpfull, pleasent, organised and proffessional on the wedding and throughout our weekend To serve 100 guests so efficiently was excellent!! the scenery and the grounds of the Hotel in our photographs are stunning. We have stayed here several times in the past years and loved everything about it, food, location, pool, and relaxation excellent!!! We would recommend this Hotel for a wedding to remember and go for their wedding package which is excellent value and their listed disco (nightowl) excellent! We had a lovely extra horse and carriage and the hotel were great with this. Thanks to everyone that helped and made our day unforgettable,. We look forward to having weekend trips in the future to this fabulous hotel Iain and Eilidh MacNiven.

Room Tip: Loch side rooms are lovely and rooms on the ground floor with opening doors on to the lawn are great...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
Thank you very much Iain and Eilidh for your great feedback regarding your wedding here with us at the Isles. I am delighted that everything was as you had hoped and it was very different for us to welcome the bride in a horse and carriage.
I have passed on your comments to my staff and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

Tracy Mackintosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

lovely hotel, with stunning views, clean and tidy rooms, nice bathrooms, only downside no lift but did manage the stairs with a bit of difficulty. Food excellent, pool quite small, changing facilities poor though could do to be improved. would go again.

Room Tip: ask for a loch view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Many thanks for your comments in relation to your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and felt that the rooms were clean and tidy and that you enjoyed your meal. We do have 21 rooms on the ground floor of the Hotel, so should you wish to stay again, please do let us know that you require a ground floor room. These rooms also afford lovely views so you would not be missing out.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the pool area. We are hoping that through time the style of the changing facilities will be changed and I have updated my manager in relation to this.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

Edinburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

We booked for one night, at this hotel as part of trip through Glencoe, the hotel looked good online and the location was perfect for our needs, when we arrived, there was no one on the reception and after 15 minutes a girl turned up and booked us in, however she didn’t show us to our room but instead told us our room number. When we eventually found the room, we were disappointed by the quality of the room, instead of a magnificent view over the mountains we had a view of the carpark, there was condensation trapped between the panes of glass in the double glazing, the room had an old Bush 14 inch CRT TV, with a fuzzy picture on all channels. The bathroom was dirty and there was rust on the toilet roll holder. We decided to go to the bar for a drink, and were met by an inept barman, my partner ordered a lemonade which took him 5 minutes to pour, instead of tilting the glass and pouring down the side of the glass he just poured it vertically into the glass, he must have wasted about a pint just trying to fill the half pint glass, his beer pouring skills weren’t much better. As we had arrived in the early evening we had originally decided to eat at the hotel fortunately we had a lucky escape as the menu was very limited and overpriced, and we were able to find a restaurant elsewhere. Later we returned to the bar for a drink before retiring for the evening and decided to order Irish coffee. Unfortunately the barman had never seen an Irish coffee and instead of saying that he was unable to make one, produced something that fell far short of the mark, basically, coffee in a china cup with a small squirt of squirty cream! When we complained we were passed to the duty manager Angela, who told us that they didn’t do Irish coffee and the barman must have forgotten this fact.
The breakfast was average although the fried eggs were under cooked and raw. I would have to say that the hotel was worth about 1 star as it is very tired and poor quality, I would recommend anyone who is thinking of staying here, to avoid and look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere as rooms are very basic and overpriced
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Conyip
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am obviously disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.
I apologise that the room you were allocated was not to your liking. Many of our rooms overlook the loch and some of them overlook the mountains and the rooms are allocated as to guests needs and requests. I have passed on your comments in relation to the poor TV reception and the bathroom to my Housekeeping Manager. Unfortunately, some of the windows in our mountain view rooms do need replaced and we are currently working on a plan as to when this would be best to happen without affecting the comfort of our guests.
I also apologise that you had to wait some time in order to be checked in. Having spoken to the Receptionist in question, she had been called away to attend to another guest. I have asked that in future, I am contacted when on duty so that I may be available to welcome any guests to the Hotel while the desk is unmanned. It is not our policy to show guests to their rooms as this would then take the Receptionist away from the Front Desk for lengthy intervals at a time and then impacting on other guests arriving into the Hotel to check in.
I am offended at your description of my barman who has been working in the Isles for over a year now and receives very positive feedback on a regular basis.
I am sorry that you felt that our dinner menu was limitied and overpriced. We do get a lot of positive feedback in relation to our menu and we are currently reviewing them for the summer season.
I apologise that the barman had forgotten that we were unable to provide liquer coffees at the moment and I believe that Angela did refund you for this error.
I have passed your comments regarding the eggs at breakfast onto my breakfast chef, though I do check the buffet on a regular basis and do find that the eggs are normally cooked properly, rather than undercooked.
Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do contact me on 01855 812220 or e-mail me at gm.glencoe@akkeronhotels.com.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

We have stayed here several times before and always enjoyed it and this time was no exception. Kids enjoyed the pool which was clean and warm, and also the outdoor play area. Location is superb and takes some beating.
Breakfast was good but didn't eat at the resteraunt in the evening so I can't comment.
What I would say is that there appears to be very little investment in the hotel. Many years have passed between our first visit and this time, with our last stay being some three years ago. In all that time, I cannot see that any improvements have been done, so what was great years ago is a little tired and dated now.
Having said that we will return again, however, without any updating I fear this hotel may slip even further behind.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us yet again and that the kids enjoyed the pool and the outside play area.
I do recognise that the Hotel is in need of work and we started the first phase of this at the end of 2011 with bathrooms in the south wing of the Hotel being upgraded, the Lounge, Conservatory and Restaurant being painted and the wooden floor being restained a deeper colour than before. We continued with this earlier this year by painting the Reception area which has greatly lifted the feel of the area and made it much lighter and airier. There are design boards in the Lounge detailing the plans for the bedrooms and the public areas and I am hoping that the next phase of this will commence later this year.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future and hope that you will see some improvements on your next visit.

Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed at this 3* hotel for 3 nights DBB - Allocated a loch view room on ground floor -the room was large but a bit 'tired' however the view of the loch and mountains was spectacular. Reservations had to be made each night for dinner. We were given a table in the conservatory each mealtime and again this overlooked the loch-Stunning! The menu was limited but the food overall was very good however if not on DBB package the main courses were £14.95 which I thought was a bit expensive had you choosen Lasagne or Quiche (other options were better value). The organistion in the restaurant was a bit chaotic -drinks and food orders were taken at the same time but the food had a tendancy of arriving first! There only seemed to be 1 barman to serve all the guests and he liked to stop and chat telling you as he poured the wine that in his house his wife was the 'wine monitor'- a bit tedious on the 3rd night! We also witnessed 1 of the supervisors having a go at staff for not pulling their weight which we felt was unfair and should have been done in private.Most of the staff were good and very freindly.
There was a local pub 5mins away that also did evening meals.
Breakfast was buffet style and had all the usual things -bacon sausages and blackpudding were all very tasty and well cooked.
Used the sauna(cold) and pool(nice) once whilst there and would have used it more if the weather had been bad but spent a lot of time outside as we were fortunate to have good weather all weekend and made the most of it
I thought the hotel was okay for what we paid but a bit of upgrading to the public areas the bedroom and bathroom would make a huge difference to the overall experience.
It is in a good location right on the loch -there are a few things to see and short walks close by (glencoe village is only about a mile away).Fort William is 15miles north and a lovely drive .The highlight of our weekend was the Gondola Trip at the Nevis Centre (7miles from Fort William)
£11.25 retutn for the 15min ride up the moutain and at the top there are a couple of walks to viewpoints.The air is so fresh and clean and you can see for miles(if the weather is kind!) The scenery has to be seen to be believed!
There is a restaurant where we had some delicious soup before our return to earth!
Overall enjoyed our stay but would advise booking DBB for value and don't go with too high expectations

Room Tip: Insist on Loch View Room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Purdie14
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your 3 nights with us. I have taken your comments on board in relation to the food and drinks orders and discussed them with the Food & Beverage Manager to see if there is a better way of managing the order system to ensure that the drinks are delivered first. I have also spoken to the Supervisor in question regarding their conversation with the staff and where and when these conversations should take place.
I apologise that the Sauna was cold when you used it. Unfortunately, it does click off sometimes and needs to be reset.
I do recognise that the Hotel is in need of upgrading and we have started the first phase of this in the Reception area, Lounge, Bar, Conservatory and Main Restaurant. We have also completed a number of bathrooms in the South side of the Hotel. We have design boards in the Bar area, detailing what the plans are for the upgrade and I am hoping that this will continue as we move further into the year.
I am pleased that the weather was on your side throughout your stay and that you had the opportunity to explore the area.
Many thanks again for your comments and I hope that I can welcome you back to the Isles in the future.

yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Had a two night stay having stayed before a couple of years earlier.Check in staff were a bit slow.The rooms are fine,Didnt eat in the restaurant this time as we didn't mind driving a bit to find something a bit more interesting.Breakfast was fine and included in the deal we got.The pools and sauna are ok but the changing/drying area could do with a bit more thought like proper cubicles and towels on entry.Overall its a decent hotel in a lovely setting and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I apologise that you felt that the check in staff were a bit slow. We always try to ensure that our guests are checked in promptly, but at the same time, receiving all of the relevant information in relation to their stay. Our Leisure Centre was designed a few years ago by the previous owners and I am hoping that we can do some work in the future to upgrade them and revert back to the style of cubicles that we previously had.
I am pleased that you would choose to stay again and look forward to welcoming you back to the Isles in the future.

dunfermline
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Poor food choice, room not very clean cobwebs and dust everywhere, sink plugs faulty allowing water to escape. Leisure club changing and showering facilities communal( with poor levels of privacy) and diabolically small. Pool unsupervised and would appear not to be managed in terms of health protection, childrens excrement found in the pool during our visit. Location is fabulous but this hotel needs a complete makeover and new management.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
nuggetWestHighlands, General Manager at Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Isles. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and felt that the food was poor choice. The feedback in general from our guests is very positive, so I apologise that you did not feel that it was to your liking. I have noted your comments regarding cobwebs and dust in the room you were in with my Housekeeping Manager, who has advised me that he is currently updating the standards with his team and working in the rooms to reach the higher level places, such as wardrobe tops to ensure that they are all dust free.
Our Leisure Centre, although quite small for the size of Hotel is very popular with our guests and local people alike. It was unfortunate that there was an incident in the pool, which meant that we had to close it for Health and Safety reasons until the following morning. The pool is not supervised, hence why children under the age of 16 are to be accompanied by an adult at all times for supervisory purposes.
I appreciate your feedback and should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do contact me directly on 01855 812220 or e-mail me at gm.glencoe@akkeronhotels.com.

Tracy Mackintosh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
#1 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!