“Overpriced and unhelpful”
Review of Clachaig Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballachulish
Clachaig Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Ballachulish B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I booked at short notice on the Friday to come up to the Clachaig on the Saturday. I have visited the Clachaig on a few occasions, either with Glasgow HF Outdoor Club or with friends, and had enjoyed the selection of real ales and the food, which were enjoyable, if a tad expensive. Looking at the website I was impressed by the rooms, so when it came to looking for a destination for a short break I had no hesitation in recommending the inn to my wife, fully expecting the rooms to be of a high standard.

After a three hour drive up on Saturday we arrived and were given the keys to our room. To say we were disappointed with the room was an understatement. It was nothing like those highlighted on the website, and while it appeared clean, the decor was tired, tatty and jaded, and far smaller than those rooms shown on the website. The view from the window was completely depressing, a section of roof covered in leaves and old twigs. This room certainly didn't compare with those online, and I would rate it at perhaps £50/£60 per night, certainly not £100.

We immediately complained, and said that we wouldn't stay in that room, and were told that no other was available, and that we could not be refunded. The fellow we spoke to at reception did admit that this was not the Inn's best room, and on being pressed did go and speak to a manager. He returned and told us the manager said we should be refunded, which we were. Being a bank holiday we were unable to obtain any other accommodation, and were left with no option but to head back home. We had driven 6 hours in total with the outcome being that we were tired and bitterly disappointed.

That a manager couldn't even spare a few minutes to see us personally at the time, nor respond to subsequent emails speaks volumes. I am more than happy to pay top prices where the accommodation and service warrants it.
I certainly would not consider staying at the Clachaig in the near future, nor could I recommend it to anyone looking for accommodation in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank B8530FDjamesc

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I broke our stay here and wish we could've stayed longer! The Inn is the perfect base camp to explore Glencoe. The bar serves nice, hot food and breakfast had a wonderful variety. There's a drying room and free wi-fi in public areas. We decided to hole up instead of hiking in the storm and we were as comfortable as could be. Again, we wish we could've stayed for a break in the rain for some really nice hiking. Maybe next trip!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We didn't stay here but visited for food and drink on a number of occasions. What can I say apart from couldn't ask for more, friendly welcoming staff, great food, dogs welcome and a great selection of ales and whisky's. Will he back!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Five of us stopped for lunch, it was empty on our arrival but became busy fairly quickly. The barmaid was pleasant and efficient, the food was good and hot and served at our table in the lounge ( we had starters and mains). The Single Malt selection was formidable (and tasted great); the Guinness good (but not great), the Porter was very good. The kitchen incorrectly made 2 of one starter and forgot one starter...they remedied the situation quickly when the waiter was informed. The Boots Bar and snug remained completely empty but the lounge in which we were eating was completely full by the time we finished. This is an iconic location with no nearby competitors, though Ft. William is only 25 minutes if you're driving (no other choices if you're walking from the camping area). As for prices: about 10%~20% higher than comparable food served in less iconic locations or places with local restaurant competitors. For us, sitting at the window, taking in the magnificent view, leaving our parked car as we went for a bit of a hike and returning for a hot drink prior to leaving made the higher prices a bit more acceptable.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2013

we love coming to this pub because it not only means its the end of a long non-stop journey from warrington so its lovely to see the lights in the distance but a great welcome good food and beer and outstanding views in every direction.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This was our fifteenth visit in four years and while there was one 'wobbler' earlier this year when there was a new bar manager normal service has been resumed. The food the real ales the friendly staff and the cosmopolitan nature of the Clachaig deserve the legend! And all this in the most beautiful surroundings! We can't wait to get back!

Room Tip: Rooms three to six are the best but there's huge demand!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Clachaig Inn a few weeks ago and had a great time. It was the last weekend of Octoberfest and the famous Boots Bar was heaving, with two bands playing both on the Friday and Saturday nights. Our two dogs came with us and were made very welcome in the hotel; there are great walks to be had in the surrounding area and overall a fab time had by all. HOWEVER. One big issue I feel I must air is that we got locked out on the Saturday night. We’d been in the Boots Bar all evening which shut at about 12am and went off for a dram around a bonfire nearby with some people we’d met. When we returned back to the hotel at around 12.30am (not that late), the whole place was shut up and not a soul in sight! There was an 'emergency phone number' on the front door which I rang four times but no answer - in the end my partner had to throw his keys up to another guest’s window to be let in! Apparently management lock the doors at 12am and residents aren't provided with a key to get in. OK, OK it states in the welcome book that everything gets shut up at this time (will read it next time), but it's highly unusual that, as a guest, you wouldn't have a key - something must be done about this!!! Luckily no harm done as another guest was still awake to let us in, but if I'd had to spend the night in my car I would have been peeved to say the least! Hate to go on a negative since we had a lovely time (and we will be back), but the situation needs to be made clear to guests on their arrival, or else something needs to be done. You just wouldn’t expect that to happen.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nikki W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to Clachaig Inn? Share your experiences!