“Not as glowing as we expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Clachaig Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballachulish
Clachaig Inn
Ranked #3 of 10 Ballachulish B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not as glowing as we expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Made our first visit to the Clachaig this past weekend and went with friends who are regulars to Glencoe. We had heard so many great things about the pub and our first night was truly a great experience, however, Saturday was a TOTAL letdown. When I went to the bar to order food the barstaff barked back at me, "there is no food" and walked off before I could order my drinks. I managed to get their attention again and ordered my drinks but the service was neither friendly or efficient.
I appreciate it was incredibly busy but lots of people were complaining about the food and service. Those that did get food said it was nowhere near the usual standard too. Having managed several bars in the past, I appreciate that it can be stressful for staff when it is so busy, but that is no excuse to talk to customers like we are something you'd wipe off of your shoe. If you can't handle the pressure of a busy bar on a saturday night, go work in a lighthouse away from other people.
I later found out that food was still being served in the other bar but by then it was too late and by the sounds of it the choice was poor and the quality lacking.
I will be back to Glencoe because I love the area, but I certainly hope that if we frequent your establishment again it is not the same shambles as Saturday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Morpeth, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed here because of the location. It's stunning. Shame about the inn. If you don't mind waiting 15 minutes for every round of drinks then its OK. I didn't expect the room to be quiet as I knew there was live music so I knew it would be noisy until after 12. What we didn't count on was the noise after the last guests had left the bar. The kitchens banged about then they out music on so it was around 2 am when I got to sleep and I am great at going to sleep normally. I mentioned this and the queuing to the manager on check out and his reaction was "it's always like that". So if queuing is your thing then this is the place for you. The only positive thing I can say other than location that with the exception of the manager the staff were all delightful. But location and lovely staff would never make me stay here again.

Room Tip: Away from the bar
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

While staying at the Red Squirell Campsite, we thought we would visit the very local pub for some food. What a mistake!! Although the pub itself is lovely, the food is so not worth it. My mum ordered the fish and chips and when it arrived, it was so over fried that you could have smashed a window with it, she cut into in and it just broke in half!!! My mum was so disappointed as she was hungry after a day spent checking all the beautiful sites around Glencoe. When my Dad took the plate of food back to the bar to complain, he was met with the worst attitude possible and the girl behind the bar suggest that my mum should have ordered something softer!!!! My dad and partner had ordered the haggis which was ok but clearly warmed in the microwave, I ordered salmon which was burnt underneath and when my mum's replacement burger arrived, it was cold in the middle (after us having to wait at least 45 mins for it) We would NOT go back!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura W
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here several times & it never fails to impress. I love the friendliness of the staff & the relaxed style of the place which does not compromise comfort or efficiency. Then of course there's the other thing - location, location, location! Breathtaking views of the mountains & every time you look, there is a slightly different perspective & the variations in light make this a unique place to stay & enjoy Scotland at it's most dramatic.

The Clachaig is a wonderful place to stay - whatever the weather or activity or just to relax.

• Stayed July 2013
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Clachaig Inn is a great location. We stopping in just for the restaurant and the scenery. It was off the highway tucked back so when you drive up you are right at the foot mountains and you feel the impressive scenery envelop you.

We ordered our food at the bar and looked for a clean table. We were a bit disappointed that so many tables had yet been cleared off and when we got to a table, we cleared it off ourselves and put the dirty dishes on another dirty table. I had to stop the very busy waitress to please come back with cloth to wash off the sticky table.

I had ordered a steak. It was pretty good. It was a comfortable atmosphere and very mountainy. I liked it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I really don't get the Clachaig. It's in a fantastic spot and is welcoming inside and out - but the menu is dull dull dull. Over the last 15 years I don't think it has changed once! Doesnt the chef get bored?!? Never any specials on the menu and if anything is freshly made then I'll be very surprised. The only thing I can think of is that they don't need to do anything else because of its location and popularity as a drinking pub with good live music for campers and walkers and climbers. Such a shame though, as it could be sublime if they just made more of an effort. I'm not asking for gastronomy here - just things liks home made fish and chips - or anything homemade and with a bit more variety. Go on chef -give it a go - live a little!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Essjayelle
Leicester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Clachaig Inn is one of those legendary inns: in one of the most breath-taking mountain locations, it provides solid service to the many people drawn to Glencoe.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and very warm. I especially like the spacious ‘lodge’ rooms away from the main building – the view from some of these is stunning. The breakfast is always top quality - one of the very best you’ll get in any hotel - and on my last visit they had started offering proper bean to cup coffee (other hotels please take note).

The Boots Bar and Snug is terrific fun. Lively at the weekend (perhaps almost too lively for some with blokey groups of Glaswegians crammed against the bar) and an excellent ale range with enough Scottish brews to keep anyone happy. I was also very pleased to see 3 or 4 craft keg beers from Williams Bros as well and couldn’t resist. The bar food is decent quality and they get it out sharpish even when it’s busy.

A great place that fully deserves its revered status.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank puffpod
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to Clachaig Inn? Share your experiences!