“huge disappointment”

Ballachulish Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Hi,
In its day the hotel was good, the scenery etc made it a special place,
Sadly not enough money has been ploughed back in making the hotel tired and not worth the money,
The menu is very limited, wee things would help.
We looked at 3 rooms before we accepted the keys to the 4th room!
I wish it had more local staff!
They need to listen to customers and upgrade what else can I say,
A

Room Tip: Ask to see room before taking the keys ! This is a must. Check menu has something you can eat, ver...
1  Thank pam59222
Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Slightly disappointed with hotel and accommodation. The room was quite plain and the bathroom fittings old. The rest of the hotel had a certain olde-worlde Tartan charm, but the fire in the pretty library room was out of order rendering it useless at night and the main sitting room had two fireplaces, one log-fired and nice to sit in front of, the other with an ancient electric fire with only one bar working.
We didn't get offered the advertsed pre-meal drink and found the evening meal itself only passable. We stayed for two nights but chose not to eat in the second night. The breakfast buffet was good.
Staff were friendly and helpful and the swimming pool at the sister hotel "Isles Of Glencoe" was satisfactory (we have stayed there before).
Won't be returning to the Ballachulish but have booked a weekend at Isles Of Glencoe for late March.

Room Tip: Recommend saying at the sister hotel "Isles of Glencoe" instead, five minutes drive away...
Reviewed December 9, 2013

A warm and friendly greeting awaits you at the end of your picturesque drive through Glencoe. The exterior of the hotel promises so much, but alas the graceful days of this old lady are now a faded memory, like the furnishings. If you can see past the worn and shabby decor this place still has an inticing charm and an odd eccentric character all of its own. Had I paid a fortune I would be disappointed, but I had a great two night stay at a realistic room rate. The food was well cooked nicely presented and tasty, from a varied menu to suit most tastes.

We can always find better places to spend our hard earned pennies but don't strike the Ballachulish Hotel off your list too quickly as you could be missing out on a most enjoyable visit to some quirky old world charm. The main staircase creaks like mad, that's what real wood aged over many years sounds like...........

Room Tip: I enjoyed the room in the main house if not perfect.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GM B, General Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Reviewer

I was pleased to read your review with regards to your stay with us here at the Isles of Glencoe Hotel. I read your comments to the team and they were delighted that you found them welcoming.

As with any traditional building we face our challenges and I am sure you will welcome the fact that we are due to start a major refurbishment in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you back and Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is the location, it's stunning but you can get the same location and a much nicer hotel by walking over the bridge to the Loch Leven Hotel which is lovely. We stayed in the Ballachulish Hotel for two nights and on arrival were really disappointed by the state of the room. A canopy was hanging over the bed and it had about an inch of dust on it. When I mentioned this at the reception I was told they were aware of it (why hadn't they done something about it then?) The room in general felt dirty and sticky. We were given another room but no apology was offered and although the next room we got was slightly better it was still not up to decent standard, furniture was ripped and stained and when I went to draw the curtains at night about a ton of dust fell from the pleats at the top. The whole hotel felt like it was under a layer of dust and the furniture was shabby, frayed and stained. The food was also not up to par, an £8 supplement on the smallest overcooked steak I have ever seen and when we asked for a peppercorn sauce it was dumped on the table and could only be described as milk with whole peppercorns in it, also cold. Service was awful too. Breakfast not much better. We walked over to the Loch Leven Hotel for drinks one of the nights we were there and the new owners happily showed us their rooms which were beautiful and spotlessly clean. Even if I was offered a cheap deal to go back to the Ballachulish I wouldn't take it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank roserab

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay here with us at The Ballachulish Hotel It is much appreciated.
I read your comments with disappointment and please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on this visit, rest assured I shared them with my team so they can take action and ensure we do not encounter the same problems in the future, we take all feedback seriously and strive to deliver the best service and good quality food, once again thank you for your comments and I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future

Kindest regards

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We have been coming to this hotel for a weekend every other year for 15 years. The hotel sits in an idyllic position overlooking the water with amazing views over the surrounding hills. Over the years it has become very tired looking inside and I suppose now they are trying to improve it. We have always loved the comfort, friendly staff and extremely good food. This visit was very disappointing as after being delighted with a room overlooking the water I looked further. The carpet was stained and dirty, the bathroom was disgraceful with black mould in the overflow of the sink, thick dust under the radiator, around the shower had not been cleaned and the toilet definitely not. (A wee bit off putting) The food again was excellent in the evening as was the serving staff and dining manager. The breakfast although a reasonable choice was cold being kept in containers which were open most of the time. Again put off in the lounge with the girl behind the bar constantly chewing gum (not nice). I made a complaint about being overcharged and firstly got an almost cheeky reply and had to insist before being offered a refund (again not good policy) This was the second time this has happened. Overall its ok for a couple of nights on an offer but little things make a big difference and we will not return until it is more like it was 15 years ago.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part to the front give the best views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annetteel
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights on a great deal which included dinner on first night and a bottle of wine in our room. Our room was lovely, in the modern wing, overlooking the loch. Nicely furnished with contemporary twists, we loved the window shutters.

Staff were welcoming on arrival and throughout. We had an issue with our shower not draining and mentioned this at reception, problem was sorted by the next time we used it.

Our meal was a bit mixed and ultimately disappointing. We had excellent starters of vegetarian haggis stack and local mussels, nice and hot and nicely cooked. BUT for mains we both ordered fish and chips and to describe as mediocre is being kind. The portions were large but the batter on the fish was soggy and pretty tasteless. I had to leave half of mine as it was poorly filleted and full of bones. The chips were not cooked fully enough and the salad had no dressing to give it any flavour.

Still a bit hungry I ordered a dessert of Raspberry Cranachan which was nice so it was 2 out of 3 for me. Would have preferred to have just had the starter and dessert with hindsight.

This meant that we would be going elsewhere to dine on our second night when we would have preferred to stay at the hotel and not have to drive anywhere.

Breakfast both days was fine and there was plenty to eat, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, porridge plus any variation of a cooked breakfast. No complaints here and the service was good.

I don't want this to sound like a negative review because it was an ALMOST perfect stay and we would love to return to this hotel. The staff were without exception a pleasure to deal with, a small tweak in the kitchen and it would be perfect.

Room Tip: Walls are thin but rooms in new block overlooking the Loch are lovely with a view to die for!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NorthernHeatseeker
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Oled Victorian inn. Food excellent, rooms comfy. View from our room was over the loch so stunnig, especially with the snow on the mountains. Location is good, next to the old railway line so you can take a long walk away from the traffic. Would go again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
#3 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Ballachulish Hotel? Share your experiences!