“5 Star Welcome?”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Loch Goil
The Lodge on Loch Goil
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loch Goil
Reviewed August 18, 2013

After visiting friends in the cowal peninsula, my wife and I went for a drive as I was looking for a venue for a romantic break for her upcoming 40th birthday and had been told about the Lodge on Loch Goil and wanted to show her where it was.

As we arrived, the gates at the top of the hill opened and I decided to drive in and let her see the setting first hand. Anyone who visits this part of the world knows that the scenery is without question and the Lodge has an excellent setting within it.

At the bottom of the hill we were approached by a man, I'm assuming the owner/manager but it is an assumption as he did not introduce himself. I asked if he could provide me with any literature or information on the Lodge and this was his response.(quote)

'This is private property and we currently have guests staying. We have nothing like that as everything is done through our website. I'll open the gates again for you so that you can get back out'

Now I would hope that if I had paid the £900 it would cost me to take my wife away for a romantic holiday break, then gentleman would have given me the courtesy of a smile or an introduction but instead, the Lodge decide to treat potential clients like they were trespassing.

Its only fair of me to say that I did not get the chance to step inside the hotel so I cant comment on the quality inside so its best to leave this to other reviews who were afforded the pleasure. I, on the other hand, was made to feel like an unwanted pest who had the audacity to approach the hotel in person as I was in the area.

Is this really how a supposed 5 star hotel treats people who are looking to spend significant money there?

This hotel is situated in a fantastic area and may well deliver for some people. I and my wife will never know as this episode has made me take my business, and her holiday treat, elsewhere...what a shame.

Do I think the Lodge management will give a monkeys reading this? On the evidence of the gentleman I met? Not a chance

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank fireysam
Lodgelochgoil, Manager at The Lodge on Loch Goil, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Good Afternoon Sir,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience here at The Lodge on Loch Goil.
Firstly I would like to apologise on behalf of myself "The events manager "and my team that work here.
At the lodge on Loch Goil we pride ourself on our excellent hospitality and very good service at all times.
Last Saturday 17th August we had a wedding taking place which the bride had booked over a year ago coming all the way from Australia , she had the venue and grounds until she departed the lodge on Sunday at 12noon.
As you will be aware on our web-site The Lodge on Loch Goil is not a hotel we are an Exclusive Use Venue and have been for 17 years since the owner Mr Hopkins bought the property, we are not open to the general public and if anyone wishes any information or would like to view the venue it is strictly by appointment only.

When you arrived at the Lodge at 7.50pm on Saturday night we were serving the wedding breakfast in our conservatory to the bridal party. The Lodge maintenance man who was working on the gates due to a fault that had occurred during the day was the man who spoke to you, sorry for his abrupt manner, but during the day there were a number of people driving down the drive who were not part of the wedding party and had no appointment to view the venue, this was starting to cause problem with the bride.

Once again I would like apologise to you and your family for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards Alice Gill
Wedding / Event Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Completely unexpected! From the moment we drove down the hill into the parking area we were welcomed, pampered and generally "looked after". Alice, Ian and the rest of the staff were attentive without being intrusive. The rooms were magical and the breakfasts and afternoon teas were delicious.
The wedding in the tree house was beautiful and even the young Registrar seemed affected by the situation. The wedding breakfast was intimate and well conducted and the evening continued with local entertainers who made it seem that nothing was too much trouble.
I hope that this business continues for many years to come as it certainly deserves to do so.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Where do I begin, at the start! From the time when our family & friends group of 14 arrived on Friday 5th April 2013, it was the most wonderful experience for us all.
After a welcome afternoon tea the lads went down to the loch to fish, leaving the girls to explore the rooms which were amazing. Later we had a bbq..honestly it was more like a celebration dinner with a fantastic choice of meats & salads, accompanied with The Lodge fish platters- everyone gasped when they saw them! Next day was relaxed with the guys hiring a boat for fishing and us ladies having a pamper with lots of bubbly.
With the wedding ceremony at 3.00pm the day was very relaxed. Everything went to plan and ran smoothly with an air of bonhomie and fun. The wedding breakfast was second to none, each course cooked to perfection.
The 2 days we spent at The Lodge was an experience in itself. All the wedding guests said it was the best wedding ever and I must say my husband and I agree. My friend sent me a photo CD entitled "Wedding in Paradise" so I think that says it all.
Alice and the staff are professionals but have time to chat, answer questions and are full of useful information. Nothing is too much trouble and requests were always dealt with promptly. I would like to add that various allergies were catered for with no fuss.
All in all our wedding was a truly memorable one, with so many happy photographs to remind us of our special day.
If you are looking for a very special wedding venue then look no further.

Room Tip: The Aran room was very special, with a little balcony running round 2 sides of the room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sheena H
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Most of what is said about the venue on trip advisor seems to ring true. The lead up leaves you feeling that they are not listening to you, getting a word in edgeways before the big day can be a challenge and the hot water can be temperamental. Also the invoice when presented before the day was just plain wrong and needed correction. This all left us feeling that the day was at risk of being riddled with errors.

Nothing could have been further from the reality of the day. Quite frankly, from the moment of arrival to departing we felt no stress, no worries and no complaints at all from anybody (and our families can be demanding!).

We had two days at the Lodge. We had a BBQ on the first night with a small number of guests. BBQ is a loose term, it was a meat feast, well served and beautifully presented. The atmosphere was very relaxed as well. This night set the scene for the next day.

The wedding day was also very relaxed on the lead up to the ceremony. Breakfast was excellent quality as too the light lunch. Throughout the morning the staff made sure every need was catered for - our lazy teenage daughter got a late breakfast, refreshments were brought to the Bride's dressing room and coffee served to our parents on the terrace.

Getting married on the shore of the Loch was just unforgettable, especially as we had fantastic weather. We used the treehouse to sign the register which added that extra Lodge charm. What also did not materialise was the 5 million uninvited guests, as the dreaded midge stayed away! The Wedding Breakfast was superb. The Lodge fully catered for some of our guests special dietary needs and everyone commented that the food was fabulous. The service throughout was attentive yet unobtrusive.

The quality of the rest of the day was held high by a great team of staff. Arran, you were a star,nothing was too much trouble.

We only have one little moan, we had such a great day and a fab band we danced lots in the evening to the small hours. My moan was the air con just coped, however fear not, the outside temp was about 26c. This really does not happen in Scotland often, thus the AC should not be an issue :)

Thanks to Alice, Jackie and all of the team for our 2 days of wedding bliss.

Room Tip: All the rooms in The Lodge are stunning. Only one room has a walk-in shower. All the others are show...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WALON
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had the Lodge for the week end of our daughter's wedding. From arrival on Friday until we left on Sunday the service from Alice, Ian & Jackie and the rest of the team was exceptional. It is a very unique place to hold a wedding or indeed any other celebration. To have the exclusive use of the Lodge made the week end so special. Our guests were all truly impressed with the location, scenery and the Lodge itself. The bedrooms are all beautiful. The food all week end was superb, with our guests commenting that the Wedding breakfast was exceptional. In fact all of the guests said that it was the best wedding that they had attended.All in all a truly magical week end - just what we had hoped for. Would definitely recommend without any hesitation to anyone looking for a unique and special venue.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CTBScotland
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our Civil Partnership at The Lodge five years ago was beyond expectations thanks to Alice and her staff, so we were slightly apprehensive about returning in case we spoilt the memories...we needn't have worried! From the moment we arrived, Alice, Jackie and all the staff went above and beyond to make our stay a unique and special occasion (again).

Champagne and afternoon tea on the summerhouse veranda beside the loch...Rediscovering the truly stunning Lodge together with the treehouse and grounds...Relaxing before making our way to the treehouse for an outstanding five-course dinner, topped by a generous additional course from Iain and fantastic company from Alice!

If you are looking for somewhere for a wedding, civil partnership, anniversary, birthday or just to spoil yourselves, this is the nearest that you will ever get to perfection as no-one else will work as hard as Alice and her staff to make it happen.

Looking forward to another excuse to go back! Liam & Mark x

Room Tip: The Summerhouse...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Liam E
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I've just spent a week shooting our winter catalogue in beautiful West Scotland and we were based at the Lodge. Alice and her team provided fantastic service, the Lodge itself is amazing with lovely grounds, fantastic rooms and very high levels of catering. Professionally, the Lodge provides lots of opportunity for filming with interesting rooms and external architecture as well as beautiful grounds and or course the loch. The rooms, food and service make the stay feel like a holiday. I would recommend the Lodge and would love to be back there - hopefully without the work load.

Room Tip: Ideally grab the main suite, it has a fantastic bathroom and great views
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
The Creggans Inn
The Creggans Inn
#1 of 1 in Strachur
Knockderry House Hotel

Been to The Lodge on Loch Goil? Share your experiences!