Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Hidden Gem

Reviewed 1 week ago
Linda D
Perth, Western Australia

All reviews robin hood civil war english heritage passing places playing hide and seek audio guide narrow country roads single track steep steps grounds are lovely well worth the effort wiltshire countryside couple of hours national heritage beautiful place to visit interesting history for sale
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

We spent a very enjoyable afternoon here walking round the castle. Although some of it is in ruin it was great to be able to climb almost to the top of other parts. Very friendly man in the shop too. We will definitely be back again.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Nice castle to explore in English Countryside. Bit of a nightmare road to get there as not used to such narrow roads but once there it s a lovely tranquil place. Helpful staff and nice ruins.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It’s a real nice tranquil place stopped in history and lots to explore its a real nice way to spend an afternoon shame that refreshments are limited and the roads to get there are narrow with passing places

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Never been to Wiltshire before, but wow there are some fabulous places to visit. Originally went to Stonehenge the day before and joined the National Heritage Trust, and decided to check out some of the other places in the great book that came with membership. Old Wardour Castle was our first place to check out, and what a beautiful ruined castle it is. It was off the beaten track , but well worth the effort of finding it, and first impressions walking into the castle grounds just blew us away. I would recommend this place to anyone who loves history and beautiful surroundings, just sublime.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My daughter and I discovered this gem for a recommendation from our B&B host nearby in Tisbury. Not far from Shaftesbury in Dorset Country on the edge of Wiltshire. Set in the beautiful country side of Southwest England. Very responsible fee. The day we were there had the place to ourselves which made it even more impressive. Audio narrative included in charge. Nice little gift shop. Full of history 14th century castle ruins. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited Wardour Castle recently and enjoyed our visit. It is quite a simple ruin but interesting. A good place for children to visit as they can explore freely and lots of places to run around.

Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

A great place to adventure with access to most of the ruins: up stone spiral staircases, rooms with amazing views. Kids loved the freedom they had. Just stand still and drink in the atmosphere. Or run around imagining medieval life is going on around you. Amazing walks outside the castle grounds through lovely woodland, which is great as the castle is dog friendly. This small castle can be done in a couple of hours. Also the staff are lovely!!!

Reviewed September 19, 2018

I recently found myself in the vicinity of Old Wardour Castle; a quick “google” told me it wasn’t expensive to get in, the photo’s I’d seen made it feel like a place worth a visit, and so off we went.

Now, the drive to it is quite something, and I’m glad we A) never met anything coming the other way, and B) did it on a dry, glorious day. I should imagine in a rainstorm, or on an icy day it woudn't be a quite-so-pleasant experience.

The car park isn’t huge, however, we arrived at 3pm on a Monday so were lucky it wasn’t at a peak period. There was only one other car already there when we parked up. I’d say there was room for 20. Unless you like hoards of people, if you were to arrive and find the carpark full, then go back another time, as it’s not the biggest expanse of area once inside the castle walls.

There’s a slight incline from the carpark to the entrance, which is fairly gradual so should be ok for most; not entirely sure it would be easy to wheel someone up, and because the castle itself is also atop another small hill once inside, I’d say it’s not really the most accessible place if you are wheelchair bound, however, the grounds are lovely and you would easily be able to get onto the ground floor of the castle, as there is access from the rear of the building.

Upon entering the site, you pay your dues via a counter at the back of a little shed, where you can also buy a few niknak gifts, icecreams and drinks; I have to say, the coffee was lovely. You can also pick up a guide book, and audio tour here if you so wish.There are a couple of picnic tables next to the shed; the day we went there was also a pretty minging sewerage type smell so we made our way to one of the many benches dotted around the outskirts of the castle grounds.

You can’t help but be taken aback at how perfectly the castle is situated, centrally among the landscape. I should limagine in it’s day it made quite the impression.

If you stand by the shed, you have the castle to your right, and a small grotto type building to your left - separated by approximately 100 feet of garden. I chose to visit the grotto first. It’s not anything spectacular, is a small place which has an almost cave like feel to it, with a pathway wide enough for one person to meander through, an odd sort of building, but most definitely worth taking a look at.

From there I made my way into the castle, and I have to admit, for a ruin it is in really good condition, and it was so nice to be able to climb to the top. Several levels still have flooring and while there may be no roof above your head, it is well worth the climb, for the views alone. Be aware though, the steps have the potential to be lethal in bad weather. They were a bit of a challenge on a dry day. They are steep and in places not as sturdy feeling underfoot as one might like. On one floor you have to cross them to continue your climb and I don’t mind admitting doing so made me slightly nervous, for the stairs are at an odd angle to each other, and you either make it onto the next one, or you tumble down a lot of hard concrete risers, spiralling downwards as you go. There are sturdy railings to hold onto if you’re not too sure.

The views across the lake are lovely, and I did see there are little jetties around, so I would assume you could possibly fish here (with the correct permits, of course).

The toilets are over the other side of the grounds from the entrance, and accessed via a staircase located next to a seperate building in the grounds. They are quite steep, and the toilets, as with most of these places, leave a lot to be desired, but when needs must…

I should imagine if the place was full of uncontrolled screaming children, it wouldn’t have held quite the charm it did to us but the day we went there were just a few others milling around, enjoying the building and grounds for its heritage and architecture.

Be sure to take a camera and if you take your dog, take along some poop bags too; seeing a large pile of steaming dog turd did dampen our experience a little!

Reviewed September 4, 2018

This is a beautiful peaceful place to visit. Its access down narrow lanes with limited parking ensure that you never feel crowded by selfie -stick wielding tourists shouting some impenetrable tongue. I love it here but ......

The E.Heritage website says that there are separate male, female and disabled toilets below the the Pavilion at the far end of the site. there are in fact no disabled facilities there and the toilets are at the bottom of some very steep and difficult stone steps suitable only for the able bodied.
When I mentioned this to the girl on the desk on the way out she told me that there was a toilet for disabled people behind the the entry kiosk. When I pointed out out that there were no signs to this facility she told me that they didn't make it obvious or too many people would be asking for the key to avoid the walk to the toilets at the other end of the site below the Pavillion.
Room for a rethink here.
Nevertheless I'll go again, enjoy the peace and hope that good sense will have prevailed on the facilities front.

Reviewed September 2, 2018

Having been members of English Heritage for some time and not fully taken advantage of our membership my husband and I decided to make the most of the good weather and headed to Old Wardour Castle and what a delight it was! It was still school holiday time but we saw that there was organised fun to be had for the children (note for grandparents in the future)! The grounds were beautiful to stroll around and we even managed to pick some early blackberries too. Well worth a visit.