“Second visit and did not disappoint”
Review of The Compasses Inn

The Compasses Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Tisbury B&B and Inns
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“Second visit and did not disappoint”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is our second visit and it did not disappoint. We stayed for the Friday and Saturday nights and ate in the bar area for both of these nights.

The room:
We stayed in room 1 - it was a large room with adequate facilities but do not go if you want an early night. The room is over the bar and as such it does not get quiet until after 11 at night. Not so bad really as I know the the rooms had been attached to a pub at the time of booking. The bathroom was a good size but with only a hand held shower but it was a good size bath with ample hot water so we used this as an excuse to relax our way into the day. The bed was not the most comfortable and perhaps a new mattress would be a benefit since the springs could be felt and the noise at turning over woke my husband.
The room was clean and the towels, bedding etc more than adequate for our needs.

The food:
Yes it is a little expensive but in all fairness it is delicious! We had three courses for both nights of our stay and could not be happier. The fish and chips was very large and fine - the persons comments below must have caught them on an off day! The chips had been freshly cooked and not frozen BrakeBros! Steak and Chicken Risotto was very tasty and well cooked and you could tell the chef had a passion for food and wanted to do something that was not just the typical pub grub! The Chocolate Brownie with home made Marshmallow ice cream was so good it sent me into a very happy place!

Breakfast:
This was great - there was a choice of a full English cooked to order with fresh and local ingredients and they also accommodated my ordering off the menu. This is a pub and as such I did not expect a buffet style breakfast that you get in hotels so yes you did have to ask for jam etc but they provided this quickly and with no fuss. They could not do enough.

Drinks:
I am pregnant so could not drink but was very impressed with the selection of soft drinks on offer. My husband on the other hand was more than happy with the fine selection of well kept real ales and a great wine list catering for all tastes......

Staff:
They really could not do enough....from the additional pillows needed, the ordering off menu at a busy breakfast time and looking after us throughout the two meals we shared in the evening. It was the right balance of allowing you to enjoy the company of your partner but having everything you need delivered quickly courteously and not having the constant "is everything OK" that you get in some places.

Verdict:
It is a pub - lets just remember this.....the food is good, the service is good and the bedrooms are indeed good so all in all great value for money. If you want a quiet room with top hotel fixtures than I suggest you stay in a hotel....if you want to stay in a charming piece of old England then this is the place to be.....

When the baby is born we will be going back since they welcome families and dogs!

We stayed on the 7th and 8th June......

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beverley_j_harrison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
UK
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We'd booked to stay here on our way home from London, after celebrating a relative's 102nd birthday party

We received a friendly welcome and were shown up to our room {nbr 2} On first impressions this appeared to be a nice room, but.... there was a huge extractor fan just outside our bedroom window which was really noisy as the room was right above the kitchen and overlooking the back yard with its store rooms and fridge.

Bathroom: Had a bath with a 'telephone like' shower attachment, it had nice white towels, it also had the usual 'condiments' of shampoo, shower gel and soap - so all ok there..

Bed: I clearly felt the springs of the mattress on the king size bed when I sat on it, which turned out to be not overly comfortable to sleep on at all.. I suffer from a bad back anyway, and when I woke the following morning, I had pins and needles in my leg and arm.. The pillows too were not overly comfortable either

Décor: the room was nicely furnished, it had a two seater sofa with a coffee type table in front, a wardrobe, a dinky little dressing table & chair, and a little table housing the tv and tea & coffee making facilities. However, the door leading into the bedroom and surrounding paintwork {inside & outside} was badly scuffed. The wall underneath the light switch {which used to be white} was quite grubby and could easily have been cleaned with some JIff. The window sills were rotten but perhaps they were meant to be so as to add to the 'rustic' feel?? {or a case of can't be bothered..}

When we went down for dinner, we were shown to a {very} small round table. Most of the other tables had a 'reserved' sign placed on them, which we took as gospel..
At the bar I'd ordered a juice drink with soda and half way through drinking this, I almost choked only to find that I had a few strands of well over 4" of black matted hair in my mouth!! I immediately went back to the bar, showed the girl what I'd found and ordered a similar drink, preferably this time without the long hairs. She was most apologetic. Now.. in fairness, I don't know if this was in the glass before she emptied the juice into it, or whether it was IN the juice bottle.. Nevertheless, it was horrid!

Our table was located by an open window and I was getting chilly, so my husband went up to our room to get me a jacket. Only then did the waitress ask if we'd prefer to sit at another & larger table.. We moved to a larger table which also had a 'reserved' sign placed on it. Why she didn't have the sense to do this in the first place beats me, as there were plenty of empty tables there.. but I guess it looked good to have reserved signs on them anyway..

My husband ordered duck as a starter {which he said was nice} and lamb for his main course and I ordered fish & chips - the fish in a beer batter with hand cut chips. When the 2 main courses arrived, I found my battered fish to be quite awful. The batter on the fish was far too oily and not at all crispy as I expected it to be, the chips too tasted as bad as the batter on the fish and my husband's lamb was also not as expected. When our plates were taken away and asked if we'd 'enjoyed' our dinner, I asked if I could be really honest, and when told 'yes' I complained about mine and explained about the poor quality of the meal I'd been served. This was, we were later told, taken off our bill. The wine was nice though!
The desert too was nice - husband had bakewell tart with runny custard and I opted for ice cream {can't go wrong with that!!} and certainly not at £1.75 per scoop!!

The following morning at breakfast the fried eggs were hard and tasted just like my battered fish did the night previous.. I don't know what oil it was cooked in, but it tasted awful. Also, normally at a breakfast table you'd expect to find marmalade, a selection of jams and a dish {or pats of butter} - but there was none there. My husband had to ask for marmalade and when it arrived, it came in a tiny little dish - like a small dish mustard would be served if you'd ordered a steak..
The breakfast room was tacky without any ambience - cold and quite bleak

Were we impressed with this place?? I think you can make up your own minds..
We have travelled wide and far - and even some of the worst places we've stayed in, we've never had to ask for marmalade at a breakfast table. However the Columbian coffee was very nice - turned out to be an expensive cup of coffee..

The pictures of this venue look idyllic, in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nice countryside - but beware of pictures!

Observation #1 on the old dark beams in the pub/restaurant there are white cable hooks/clips like the ones that BT use to hold the telephone wires in place - only these didn't secure any wires/cables to the beams at all.. why are they there?? they looked awful.. IF they needed to be there at all for some unknown reason, albeit without cable/wires, could they not have been painted black/brown so as to 'hide' them so that they blended in... or better still have them removed.

Observation #2 There was one ceiling light hanging over a dining table from a bright white cable, whereas the others all had a brown cable and rustic chain, which was much more in keeping ... why do this? It's an old pub!
To me this shows a complete lack of attention to detail Or perhaps a case of can't be bothered as in the rotten window sills? Who knows.. but it really doesn't look good. No offense meant, but had this been my pub - these somewhat blatant eyesores would be rectified now-now.. How much it cost to put this right??

Would we come back, even for a tasting evening? No thanks

Room Tip: don't ask for room 2
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Baby-Babble
Eye, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Thanks to all at the Compasses Inn. More than we could have expected from a pub B & B. Friendly, welcoming and cheering, enjoyed our meals: Asparagus and scallops as starters, monk fish and sole as mains. Top beer selection too. Breakfast first class, though shouldn't really have eaten the full English. Astonished by others poor reviews, clearly folk who haven't had to pay London prices for rubbish. We received restaurant quality food for less then our local pub prices in Suffolk or in London. Staff could not have been nicer.

Room was tastefully simple, elegant and clean with a good shower.

If I had a whinge it would be the lack of any Wi-Fi in room 4, but we had gone there for a break, so should not have even been trying.

Fabulous and relaxing ambience, two more fans of the Compasses.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. The owner Alan was extremely helpful and did all he could to see to our needs. The simply furnished room was comfortable, quiet and kept well. The best part was the pub, where we spent our evenings. The food was excellent and was far better than one would have expected in a small country inn. Not to mention the service was very attentive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We visited this lovely old pub for an evening meal. We had a lot of trouble finding it as there are no signs and had to ring up to get directions. The meals we had were delicious and reasonable value. The decor outside and inside the pub are very attractive and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Would recommend!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed for one night and loved the Compass Inn - the building is lovely, the setting perfect,the staff very friendly and the food really good. However, I did not get to sleep until 4.45am when whatever had been running downstairs switched off. It sounded like a fan or washing machine and I am very susceptible to that sort of noise and vibration. our bedroom was lovely but the bathroom needs overhauling - particularly the shower which is most unappealing. We would love to stay again but in a quiet room.

Room Tip: not room 3 if you need silence to sleep
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Compass Inn

I stayed for a long weekend at Compass Inn. I an wheat free diet and I emailed ahead to inform them. They replied they would get me some wheat free bread in. This turned out to be typical if the people at the Compass, they go that extra mile to make you feel comfortable.

I often go away for weekends and always take my dog, Milo, this has to be one of the most dog friendly places we have stayed at to date. That is always a good sign to me.

The room I had was lovely, very spacious, exceedingly clean ( even by my OCD standards) and comfortable. It rained on the Saturday so could not go out for long but this dod not bother us as our room was a delightful place to spend a weekend afternoon in.

The food at the Compass is absolutely delicious, I tried a variety of things from the menu and was not disappointed in the slightest. Very well presented and very tasty indeed.

All in all I can honestly say that I will definitely return to the Compass and highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tisbury
Howard's House Country Hotel & Restaurant
The Riverbarn
The Riverbarn
#1 of 1 in Fonthill Bishop
Hare Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Compasses Inn? Share your experiences!