“average, disappointing.”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dorset
“average, disappointing.”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

To be honest, I am getting fed up of paying inflated prices for average food, and unfortunately the Beckford comes into this category. The service and staff were very good, can't fault them on this.
However -
Starter - Smoked trout was a very strong flavour smoked trout, which in fairness may have been not to my individual taste as I am not used to such a strong flavour in smoked trout, but the rest of the accompaniment lacking in seasoning, not to say this was not to others taste.
Main - Duck, a little tough, again lacking seasoning, served with fennel dressed with dill, but served with rosemary potatoes which didn't work with other flavours. Although duck served with fennel and white beans, I think there should be other veg's to accompany.
My husbands starter - Enjoyed vegetables with chorizo
Main - Whole lemon sole very good, however Cray fish accompanying, tough as old boots!

As I complained mainly about the duck the staff very professionally agreed that we would be given dessert free, which we willingly accepted.
I had rhubarb sorbet/ rhubarb which was very nice, my husband had lemon polenta cake, which for some reason, parts of which tasted of garlic!! Raised with staff as only assumed that it had been placed in an area that had been used for garlic, or staff had handled when hands had been in touch with garlic!!
I have to say staff responses to concerns were very good, although baffled as to how dessert could have tasted of garlic.
I was not overawed with choices on menu, and believe that food is overpriced and unfortunately not that good
Overall view is that it is a nice venue, lovely to sit outside in the garden in summer, good service but overpriced average food ............. sorry!

• Visited June 2014
dan_pub, Owner at Beckford Arms, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
We are truly sorry you did not enjoy your visit here. I know it is frustrating that eating out is expensive but we do try to keep our prices as low as possible whilst sourcing the very best of local ingredients, and paying our staff fairly at living wages rather than minimum. I am not sure your review adds up to a 1 star review but we have listened carefully in any case.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
UK
“Worth finding if out & about”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Had heard good things about the Beckford Arms and had the opportunity to drop in for lunch one weekend. Nice pub with plenty of character, nooks & crannies, garden seating. Food was excellent and the mayo, well, it made my day. Homemade and memorable. All our party ate/drank well but quality is to be reflected in the price.

• Visited April 2014
Bath
“Bit pricey for a week day, excellent food, location & service”
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Visited for lunch today with my mother after doing the recommended walk around fonthill estate on the website (well worth it by the way)
Had 2 starters, chips and pudding each plus wine, coming to over £70 with tip, which I thought was pretty expensive for a weekday lunch. That said:

- Service excellent, with attentive and relaxed staff who weren't at all overbearing, but still made sure everything was in order. Especially as we were over 30 mins late for our booking, they still kept a table for us and food arrived promptly

- Food very nicely cooked, although I'm not sure everyone would appreciate their chips coming preseasoned with pepper (?!)

- Location is lovely, and the fonthill estate absolutely beautiful even on a dull day, eating rooms are beautifully presented and have a great ambience with children, dogs etc all welcome and catered for.

All in all would definitely return for location and quality of food and service even if a bit on the pricey side.

Twickenham, United Kingdom
“So good we ate there coming and going!!!”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Found this welcoming pub in The Good Pub Guide. We were on our way to a holiday in the Tamar Valley, Devon with our two little doggies. Pub food can be a bit hit or miss and here it is definitely a hit. It is clear straightaway that the food takes centre stage. There is a large selection of delectable, interesting sounding bar snacks listed on a black board in the bar area and the main menu is certainly a step up from that in many pubs. All the folks working there were warm and on the ball, the decor was modern and comfy and there was a lovely outdoor terraced area and garden. We liked it so much we stopped there for lunch on the trip home. Wish this was our local!

• Visited May 2014
North Cornelly, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Location ideal, good sized car park. The place was full on our arrival, and although we had not booked, we were accommodated.The staff were very friendly, attentive and professional.The menu gave you a wide selection of dishes. Our meals were hot, well presented and of food quality. There was a good choice of local ales, and atmosphere was typical of a country pub. Worth a visit.

Visited May 2014