“Its on the good side of average, but I was a little disappointed..”
Review of Beckford Arms

Beckford Arms
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Tisbury
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We dined here for Sunday lunch as a large family party. It was good, but not very good and I thought it was fairly expensive for what it was.
I selected this pub from an entry in the `AA Room at the Inn' as it was a convenient meeting point for the whole family. Interestingly, reviews of this establishment as a place to stay are excellent - However, from a dining only perspective (Sunday lunch menu), it did not quite live up to my expectations. My expectations have been set, by other gastro pubs within the same book, and on this basis the pub sadly does not quite pass muster.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have been to The Beckford Arms on several occasions and have found the service to be rather inconsistent. The pub does get extremely busy, back in the summer I had to wait over an hour for lunch, without as much of an apology even when chased. But yesterday the service was totally appalling, we arrived shortly before 1pm and the pub was incredibly busy. We walked into the bar and were asked if we required lunch, we explained that we only wanted a drink. I ordered a pint of cider and my husband asked for a taster of one of the real ales. Half way through pouring the cider a group of 4 people entered the bar, the girl serving us asked if they were having lunch they said yes and confirmed they had booked a table. The girl then stopped pouring my pint and walked off and took the diners to their table – never to return! Totally outrageous. A colleague did eventually serve us our drinks after we explained what had happened.
Another thing.... When we have eaten in the pub previously we have been encouraged to set up a tab, not surprising as a 10% service charge is added to the bill!! I do not feel this is good practice for a county pub! Another time my husband wanted to reduce the amount of the service charge as whilst dining a dog was in the restaurant area rubbing around our table. The chap who served my husband challenged him as to why he wanted to reduce the service charge (my husband explained about the dog and that fact that he didn’t think it was right for a service charge to charged in a pub) to which my husband was told ‘There isn’t anywhere else around here like us...’ 'Maybe? But there are a lot better!'
On another note, spirits are priced in 25ml measures but in very small writing on the bar tariff it states ‘Spirits are sold in 50ml measures unless otherwise stated’ not good practice as this pub is in the middle of the country and many people drive to get there! I know people are not informed of the 50ml shot thing as I have seen plenty of spirits being served. On a final note The Beckford Arms have had more than enough chances, I certainly for one WILL NOT be returning!

dan_pub, Owner at Beckford Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

I am sorry that we don't meet your expectations of what a country pub should be but a dog in a country pub seems to me to be quite a nice and normal thing. I don't quite understand the measures comments as these are clearly displayed but we will re-look at this. Waiting for food as long as you did is not acceptable and something we need to get better at. The girl who never came back at the bar seems a little odd - we are not that large a building. You are obviously very angry about all your visits here so I am sorry.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We went to The Beckford Arms on 18th December for lunch to celebrate our weding anniversary and were disappointed. The batter on the fish was horrible but the pheasant casserole was exellent and generous, The tarte tatin had a soggy bottom and probably should not have left the kitchen.
The worst thing about the visit was the service. It took almost an hour to get any food and no-one appeared to care whether we enjoyed our visit or not or whether we were well looked after - we didn't and weren't.
The best thing about The Beckford Arms is that the restoration after the fire has been extemely well done but we won't be rushing back to admire that

1  Thank Robin G
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I don't think you'd ever be likely to stumble across this pace but it is well worth taking the trouble to find it. It's a lovely looking building, even in winter, and is really quite huge inside although the restaurant is spread throughout multiple rooms and areas. When we arrived it was a very busy Sunday lunchtime and we had no reservation but the very friendly barmaid said she would definitely get us a table which she did in about 15 minutes or so. I ordered roast pork and my wife had the burger. My meal was both huge and delicious - I don't know how, but I managed to finish the lot. My wife said her burger was excellent and one of the best she's had in a long time. We finished the meal with a couple of espressos which again were both excellent.

We really enjoyed everything about this place but were especially impressed with the friendliness of all the staff. We will recommend this place to all our friends and will definitely come back later in the year.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Great food, nothing too fancy, exactly what you would hope for from a lovely pub. Well used by the locals, and a great place for a drink after a walk around the estate.