“A must visit restaurant”
Review of The Bell

The Bell
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Lacock
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Bell is a friendly, family run pub on the outskirts of the beautiful National Trust village of Lacock.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

First class service, steak to die for, cannot recommend this eatery highly enough. Have been going there regularly for the last 6 or 7 years and alway have the steak and stilton sauce. My friend always has the lamb shank.
All food cooked perfectly and a warm welcome from hosts Heather and Alan.
Good wine menu and plenty of real Ales to be sampled. Situated just on outskirts of the National Trust Village of Lacock so ideal to make a day of it.
Book in advance to avoid dissappointment as due to it's popularity can get quite busy.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I’ve visited this pub on a number of occasions at lunch time and in the evening with my husband, with friends, in twos and in large groups. The food is always very good and the staff friendly and helpful without being overbearing. Well worth a visit!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We went to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We turned up on time (1230) and placed our orders for starters and main. The place was busy, including some large parties.
We waited for almost an hour for our starters! During this time a couple came to a table opposite ours, and were served and managed to finish their meal before our starters arrived!
Main course was served 10 minutes after our starters were finished, and after this only 1 of our party felt like ordering a dessert.
We asked for coffee after the meal which unfortunately was served to me in a severely cracked cup which was leaking into the saucer. This was replaced after I pointed out the problem.
The waitress offered a cursory sorry for the delay of service.
I naturally felt let down by the service, and spoke to the manager. A grudging "sorry" was told that the delay was because of the large parties. When I pointed out that another table had been served and eaten during this time, I was told that it was because they were served by another chef.
I felt let down by the service and especially by the manager who seemed to not take the compliant seriously. Happy to take our money though!
Don't think I will be making a return visit.

2  Thank Dave T
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Have been coming to the Bell for several years now after my sister and her partner relocated from the south coast. Whenever I visit we come here and they regularly eat here. We have tried other places but the food never matches. The chilled atmosphere where locals mix in with tourists is great. Staff are always friendly and attentive. They do have a wide range on menu so even the fussiest of eaters would struggle to not find something. Have never had cause for complaint. The puddings are great and not just standard. Great outdoor garden and parking.
Excellent value for money, we will keep going!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I were visiting the UK on a 30th anniversary trip. I had booked a tour of Bath and Lacock and was looking on line for a place to have lunch, and thought the Bell's menu was nicely varied and reasonably priced. Since I couldn't make a reservation on line, I asked the tour company to do it for me. We got to the restaurant slightly later than I had hoped and not too far from their 2PM afternoon closing time. The hostess greeted us with a smile, correctly guessed our name, and asked if she could show us to a table in the back. When we got there, it was decorated with confetti and a sign on the wall that read "Congratulations".

The food was excellent, well prepared, ample portion size. We had salmon and leek fish cakes, vegetable tempura, and sticky toffee pudding. Side orders of chips and salad were large enough to be entrees. Nice wine list including by-the-glass options. The service was attentive and respectful - they let us stay as long as we wanted, even though by then they were closed.

I would come back for the food alone, but the reception that we got and the care that they took to make our anniversary lunch a truly memorable experience will never be forgotten. To the staff of the Bell: well done!! And thank you again!!.