“Tea after the Abbey”

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Lacock
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 14, 2013

After visiting the wonderful Fox Talbot museum and exhibition, and then walking round the Botanic Garden and the Abbey, I felt in dire need of a cup of tea! I decided to venture beyond the NT's own café, and have a quick walk round the village too. I thought the entrance to this establishment looked enticing; seeing the deserted outdoor tables I wished the weather had been slightly more clement - and then found the inside was almost full, but a small table was vacant. My choice of tea with drop scones was unavailable, so I settled for a slice of coffee and walnut cake instead. The traditional leaf tea was served in a proper manner, with a pot of hot water, a strainer, and milk in a small jug - and just about provided three cups of the best tea I've had in quite a while. The cake was good too, but at £3.75 for an (admittedly) large slice I thought it quite expensive.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stopped at the King's John Hunting Lodge in Lacock village for cream tea. This is a delightful and picturesque tea room. The cream tea and high tea are excellent. The scones are fresh and baked at the lodge itself. The service and presentation is top notch. We really enjoyed our teas and scones. The cakes on display looked delicious but we did not try any as the cream tea was very filling. You can buy scones and tea to take home. Remember to carry cash as I haven't spotted a cash machine in the village.

I hope to go back next summer for the best cream tea ever.

1  Thank Em_Nutz
Reviewed September 4, 2013

On a beautiful sunny day there are probably not many places better than this tearooms. The garden is wonderful and the surrounding buildings are old and full of interest. The food was good and the staff were attentive and friendly.
Well worth a visit.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The scones, clotted cream, and jams were delicious along with the little sandwiches and bite-sized sweets that were served. The tea was good as well, and we had the privilege of having the owner, Margaret, come and share some personal stories and history with us.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Pretty little garden, beautiful village, happy, smiling staff and very quick service. Enjoyed an open sandwich followed by coffee and homemade cakes with enjoyable background music played by Tom, a local lad. A really nice touch, Margaret the host was fantastic! It is expensive but worth it x

2  Thank toffeeandmallow