“Full of promise, under delivered and over priced”
Review of Flaneur Cuckfield - CLOSED

Flaneur Cuckfield
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Quaint Bistro set in beautiful Cuckfield. Our restaurant serves fabulous home cooked food including handmade pies, halloumi salads, and amazing charcuterie boards.Lunch Monday to Saturday Dinner Thursday to Saturday.Evening Menu can include dishes such as Pork Pate, Chicken Chasseur and Roasted Pimentos Pepper - our menu changes every two weeks so there is always something new to try.
Felixstowe
“Full of promise, under delivered and over priced”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife, daughter and I on our way to Brighton were looking for somewhere pleasant off the A23 for lunch and fell across Flaneur. We really liked the style, ambience and decor - quite charming and redolent of French cafes - shabby chic. The manager seemed to have his time cut out running the restaurant and the gift shop at the same time, even though he did have a shop assistant and a waitress, and service took rather long. The menu was tempting and interesting, but what we were served was, frankly, hugely disappointing. The portions were decent but the food totally lacked any flavours and can only be described as uninteresting and bland on the pallet. My chicken, avocado and smoked bacon salad with rocket salad and pine nuts is a classic, but first it came without the bacon (subsequently brought on a saucer to me), the chicken was tasteless and it could have done with some tomato to brighten it up a bit. The meals for three with a soft drink each and two coffees (boiled, bitter and tasteless from a great looking coffee machine) came to an eye-watering £42. We thought it was a dreadful price for what we had - terrible value for money. Which was a shame, because it could so easily have been a very nice experience if the food had been prepared by someone who knew and loved what they were doing, and the prices had been more reasonable. I don't think we'll be going there again.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Chris S

Cuckfield, United Kingdom
“Bringing France to Sussex!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We dined as a party of four at Flaneur on a Friday evening: having already eaten there as a couple we were keen to introduce some friends to this new Cuckfield bistro. Flaneur prizes itself on its French style, evident in the adjacent shop and the 'bistro' feel: scrubbed tables, painted chairs and everything carefully unmatching. We were warmly welcomed and looked after throughout the evening by Laura and Harriet, whose service was friendly, efficient and attentive without ever being intrusive. The menu is limited to four starters and four mains (including a veggie option), but changes regularly. Grilled halloumi was a well received starter: I had an excellent chestnut mushroom soup. Moussaka with a very good salad was one of the mains and was delicious, with another of our party singing the praises of a summer salmon and crayfish pie. For me though, the highlight was the lime and ginger cheesecake! (That and a very reasonably priced and easy-drinking Rioja.) It was a lovely evening with an atmosphere combining the intimacy of a small restaurant with the buzz of a pavement cafe ( and when it's warm enough, the full length windows open onto an outside terrace). Thank you to David and Caroline for bringing a little bit of the continent to Cuckfield!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank NeilGJ888
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting...”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stopped by for a cup of tea and was very tempted by the cakes - I had a slice of blueberry sponge and it was delicious.

This is a nice set up with restaurant/tea room joining a deli where you can purchase goodies as well as bits and pieces for the home. I came away with a gorgeous smelling botanical candle.

Must return and try out the restaurant offering.

1 Thank JellyBean22
London, United Kingdom
“"My favourite place"”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Flaneur, is a breath of fresh air with its unique French atmosphere. If your after great food, wine, coffee and service - its the place to go.

2 Thank Jacqui L
Brighton, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A little peace of Provence”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Ok this is my first review but i had such a great experience here I had to tell everyone , I found this little gem after losing my directions to haywards Heath , a little piece of Provence in the heart of West Sussex , I had the lamb and my partner had the salmon which was cooked to perfection, a great selection of wines and lovely staff a smile goes a long way in my books ,I will be getting lost again in a couple of weeks hope all the great atmosphere and professional service was not a one off

1 Thank Simon G