“Superb Sunday Spa Break”

Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cuckfield
“Superb Sunday Spa Break”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a fantastic stay at Ockenden Manor, and just had to write a review! An absolutely faultless stay, I can't find one negative thing to say.
We stayed in one of the new spa suites in the actual spa building at the hotel and it was simply stunning! Enormous bed, soft duvet and pillows, huge room with a rooftop patio and view, bathroom with enormous bath and walk in drench shower, not a single thing was missing. Under-floor heating and a nespresso coffee machine were nice touches that finished the room perfectly.
We had an enjoyable massage each in the spa itself, and the pool, hot-tub and general facilities were again perfect. The staff were polite and helpful, and the facilities clean and well maintained.
Then there was dinner.....!
WOW, we stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast special, and for dinner were given a smaller menu, however we paid the £11.50 each to upgrade to the a la carte menu, and were not disappointed. The service was attentive, but not overbearing, and the food absolutely stunning. I strongly recommend the venison! A good selection of wine on the house menu too.
I could write forever about how good this place is, but go an stay for yourself and see what I mean! The staff were also friendly and polite, not snotty or condescending in the slightest!
A fabulous stay, we will be returning very soon!

1 Thank Bethaniebob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Had a lovely time at Ockenden Manor, I was very impressed with the room and all the spa facilities. Our room had such a brilliant character and was very luxurious with it's four poster bed and Tudor decor. The spa is brand new and the therapists are very welcoming. My parter and I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a relaxing break in the country

Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay, Friday/Saturday Night on the 14th/15th of September 2012. Due to the fact we got married on Saturday I was forbidden from the room on the Friday and only stayed the Saturday myself. We stayed in the 'Hugh' room opposed to the specific Honeymoon Suite as we were advised that they are similarly priced and that 'Hugh' was nicer and had more floor space for the bridesmaids to get ready in the morning on the Wedding Day.

The service was excellent and the cooked breakfast in the morning was great. My new wife and her friends loved the Spa and took full advantage of the treatments on offer.

There were a couple of little gripes that prevent me from giving a 5/5 rating.

Firstly, in the bathroom, the walk-in shower drainage must have had a small blockage and when in shower for more than minute the water would start to overflow onto the bathroom floor. Also the toilet seat was broken. I know these are very trivial problems, and would not even warrant a mention in my reviews of hotels I usually stay at. However, with the amount of money this room cost I would not expect to have any problems like this.

Secondly, The girls had brought a bottle of champagne to the hotel and specifically asked a member of staff if there was a corkage charge, which they were told there was not. However, on checking out there was indeed a £15 charge.

I would recommend this hotel for a short country break, in a lovely, small, quiet village.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My partner and I had a fabulous 2 day spa break. We were able to use the spa for two days with a complimentary £30 spa voucher. The shower /changing facilities are excellent with large rain showers with complimentary tea/coffees. We had one night in the most beautiful medieval style room in the old part of the hotel. At the top of our own integral staircase, there was a large lounge area to the left and separate bedroom/en suite on the right. A truly memorable, relaxing two days.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here for two nights Sept 12 and had a great time. The room (Victoria, in the old house) had the most amazing bay window looking out over the garden, 4 armchairs and a comfy bed plus lovely sunsets. Extremely clean. Travelling alone, i didn't feel conspicuous, felt really well looked after but the service was also quite informal (more so than, say, Baiiffscourt). I liked the fact that it wasn't stuffy but if you want a very slick, solicitous service you may feel a little bit shortchanged. The spa was great -- beautiful indoor/outdoor pool where you can swim from one to the other; wonderful facilities, recently refurbished.Can;t praise them highly enough. Other reviewers who booked DBB have mentioned the upgrade to a pricier menu. I was on a DBB rate, was given only the costlier menu and when the surcharge for the upgrade appeared on my bill, I explained I had had only one menu, and a new bill was printed without argument. If I had to pick faults -- well, there was only a handheld shower in the bath, REN products in bathrooms would be nice, as per the spa, and the gardens could be made better use of. But these are tiny, tiny quibbles. I loved it and would go back in a flash.

Room Tip: I was in the main house and it was very quiet. No noise from outside or in.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pcocoz
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Beautiful grounds, hotel full of character. The spa complex, although very modern somehow works even though it is set amongst so much history. We had a room in the old part of the Hotel - very comfortable and great views across the countryside. The evening meal was first class, though the male waiters were over attentive and seemed slightly inexperienced. The gym was small but functional and clean. The wet side of the spa was excellent, particularly the steam room. We both had a full massage and those facilites were again first class. Unfortunately our check out was a small nightmare with constant errors which the Manager made a joke of, saying that this was unusual. However on speaking to another couple we find that indeed it was not unusual, so beware and do check your bill before leaving. That said the whole experience was exteremly good and we hope to return soon.

Room Tip: We've hear the rooms in the new Spa complex are even better than tohse in the main older part. T...
Lewes
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We live 30 minutes from Ockenden Manor and it is where we go and stay to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. We've stayed in several different rooms and they are all of a good standard with lots of character in the older part of the hotel. There are coffee/tea making facilities in the room with excellent fresh biscuits provided. If they've forgotten to provide yours, phone reception, I did! The beds are comfortable and the bedding is of a high quality and a pleasure to sleep in. It has a michelin star restaurant and the fine dining is excellent. I've eaten some amazing desserts. The restaurant itself is either in a couple of quite dark rooms but if you're lucky and it's not being used for a wedding the light airy conservatory style restaurant with views across the gardens is much nicer. My last visit was a birthday spa break with my daughter, sister, mother and a friend. Everyone loved the spa, the weather was warm so we made good use of the pool indoors and out, the outdoor jacuzzi is lovely to relax in and chat. We used the sunbeds outside and if it became a bit cool we spent some time on beds inside. The sauna and steam room are great too. After a good nights sleep we enjoyed an excellent breakfast. On the whole all our visits have been very enjoyable. The hotel isn't perfect, sometimes there are cobwebs in the rooms, some rooms have small bathrooms, some have huge. The bathroom toiletries are very nice (Templespa) and a 'bits & pieces' boxe contains a shower cap, emery board, orange stick, cotton buds and pads, shoe cloth and a needlework pack. I would recommend this hotel, look out for special offers and upgrades.

Room Tip: Victoria is a pretty room with a four poster but no shower. Their "best" room isn't, t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EllalouiseLewes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuckfield
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath
The Hickstead
The Hickstead
#1 of 1 in Bolney

Been to Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!