“Very Relaxing/Enjoyable One Nights Spa Break”

Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cuckfield
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was a birthday treat for my girlfriend and turned out to be a very relaxing/enjoyable stay.

We arrived around 1pm and parked in the first car park where we orignally thought we were staying stating 'hotel'. I walked in with our bags and was told we were actually staying in the spa facility where our room wouldnt be ready for another hour, this wasnt a problem as we were a bit hungry and decided to go for a bit of lunch outside the hotel called 'The Talbot' which was lovely (literally 2 min walk).
After finishing up we made our way back to the hotel and drove down to the 2nd car park which was the spa building.

Rm - We walked up to the main entrance and were welcomed by a nice women who showed us to our room.
Superb room which exceeded all my expectations, a lovely double bed, spacious bathroom with a big bath tub and rain shower. There is a large patio area but is very open and anyone can mooch about this area. - They should put pictures up on there website of the spa rooms.

Spa Facilties - nice sized pool which also linked to outside, hot tub upstairs & a jacuzzi within the insider pool area (say you could fit 4 maybe 5 people in both). walk through rain shower, sauna, steam room, ice fountain all to use. there is also a nicely sized gym with a range of free weights, two running machines,cross trainer, rowing machine, cycling. there is vaious space within the spa both outside and inside for beds to lay on, the sun was out when we were there and was lovely to relax in the sun on very comfy beds. My girlfriend had a 60 minute deep tissue massage by Natalie and was 10/10.

Dinner - this was located in the main historic hotel building - located in the conservatory it was nicely presented but TOO quiet! - they should really play some music. we had a 3 course dinner and was superb, well presented and the food was delicious.

Breakfast - Again located in same area as dinner, usual condiments of a buffet selection table of cereals, fruit/salad, croissants, juice, water etc. A selection of hot breakfasts also included/available which was including in our deal, we had the english fry up and again very nice (music within the room needed too quiet!)

I got a midweek deal via the hotels website which included the one night stay, 3 course dinner from a selected menu (11.50 supplement if selecting the main menu), full english breakfast, spa vouchers, full use of spa facilities day of arrival and day of depature. Definately recommend to anyone is looking for a nice relaxing break away.

Room Tip: stayed in spa room 'clara'

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The hotel building is old so we didn't expect modern rooms but were disappointed with the first impression of the bedroom and bathroom which appeared tired and in need of some tlc - having said that, we had a comfortable night sleep and any disappointment was more than compensated for by the excellent and friendly service provided by every member of staff we came into contact with.
We didn't have dinner in the hotel but the breakfast was good and the dining room very pleasant.
The spa facilities in a separate, modern building were excellent with the indoor pool joining well to the outdoor one - not a hot day but the water temperature outside made the pool very usuable. There is also an outdoor hot tub with lovely views, plenty of comfortable seating and complimetary tea & coffee - a great way to relax at the end of a day enjoying the beautiful Sussex countryside and local gardens.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here for a birthday treat as a party of 4 (inc 2 vegetarians). The hotel could not find our booking for 3 rooms (despite the fact we had confirmation emails), but that issue was resolved and we were all found rooms. And the rooms of this very old and fascinating building are lovely. 2 of our 3 rooms were 4 posters and all were well appointed and comfortable. Our real issue was with dinner. Despite advising in advance that 2 of our party were vegetarian, the canapés served were all fish. These were removed and replaced with some rather disappointing crisp breads and dip plus a bowl of olives. When we were taken to the restaurant we were all presented with a complimentary amuse bouche - this time quail! Once again we explained and this time the meat was replaced with gazpacho - which would have been OK but it was one of the only 2 veggie starter options and had already been chosen by both our veggie diners! There was no apology and the gazpacho amuse was simply replaced with the gazpacho starter (same thing slightly bigger portion!). The meal continued in the same chaotic, uncoordinated way. One of the veggies who didn't like the single main course offering had asked for the veggie accompaniment from one meat main plus the potato accompaniment from another. What she got was a small offering of vegetables and no potatoes. When we asked about the potatoes the waiter said "chef didn't think that fried potatoes went with the summer vegetables!" We were a bit taken aback at this, but what I guess he meant was chef forgot the potatoes so there aren't any! Anyway, the food itself was OK (nothing that special and certainly not Michelin star standard as advertised), but the menu was quite restricted and the service was disjointed, clumsy and very, very slow. We booked dinner at 7pm and eventually left the restaurant at 11.30pm. Breakfast the next day was nice enough and pleasantly served. So worth the visit for the charm of the building, but not I'm afraid for the standard of the dining room food or service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here when visiting the area for a friends wedding. We were impressed by the entrance: through Cuckfield (small, but containing a lovely pub serving good food) down a green lane in to the grounds of the manor, and pulled up and parked outside a very pretty manor house. Stepping inside revealed a period building with traditional interiors, but the bedroom looked tired and ropey. I thought about how I would love to wave a modernising wand about the place. Despite the out-of-date bedrooms, the bathroom was tastefully finished and we had a comfy bed. The best bit, though, was the spa. We hot-footed it to this little piece of serenity. Nestled in a hill, with unspoilt views we found an oasis of calm, with a great little indoor pool that flowed outside. There was an outdoor terrace with a whirl pool, and inside a rainforest shower and a good sauna and steam-room. Complimentary tea and coffee went down well too. We were instantly relaxed and felt it a real pull to get out and ready for the wedding reception. It transpired that there are rooms attached to the spa itself (we want to try these). The morning after the party we were treated to a good breakfast at a window table in
the dining room, and we left with a wish to return, at least for the spa- we were able to use the facilities until 4pm on the day of check-out!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our stay at the Ockenden Manor included access to the spa and dinner in the Michelin starred restaurant and so this review will cover all 3 aspects of our stay. The hotel itself is a quirky Elizabethan manor house. Our bedroom (Elizabeth) was very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom also spacious however there was no overhead shower in the bathroom. Our four poster bed was very comfortable. There was no dressing table with mirror so hair and make-up had to be done on the floor by the full length mirror hanging behind the door!
The spa was lovely. Modern and clean with fabulous facilities. The food in the spa was extremely disappointing however. We ordered panini’s at £10 each and were extremely disappointed by the small portion, lack of filling and the panini itself appeared to have been cooked in some kind of fat and was very greasy.

On presenting for dinner we were extremely disappointed to be told there was no cocktail menu. We would have enjoyed a cocktail before dinner and considering the fact the I generally find myself paying around the £13 mark for a cocktail in the restaurants I have eaten in recently find it surprising that the Ockenden are not capitalising on this. Dinner was fantastic.

The one thing that lets this hotel and restaurant down is the service. Whilst everyone is polite that is it. There is nothing extra. No one explained the facilities available in the hotel or bedrooms (i.e. where the bar was) or talked about the locality. As previously mentioned my enquiry as to the cocktail menu was responded to with “We don’t have one”. On dining in the restaurant food was brought to the table and left. My experience of other restaurants of this quality is that I am provided with an “explanation” of the food. The continental breakfast offering was a little limited but nice and fresh. Cooked breakfast was delicious – unfortunately after asking if we wanted black pudding the waitress then failed to actually bring it! Finally upon checking out there were several discrepancies with the bill which had to be sorted before we could leave.

We had a very enjoyable stay but considering the cost I do expect a higher level of service and therefore I can only give a 4/5 rating.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed in the main hotel building - a cosy (but not small) room called Rose - on the second floor. Very quiet and with lovely double aspect garden views. The "look" was shabby chic (I think) and probably could do with a little bit of a spruce up, although the bathroom was top notch - great shower (huge shower head really appreciated). The food was good and aiming for the top - the chef clearly enjoys himself, the young staff very attentive and polite. If you wanted something simpler, then I'm sure that Cuckfield would have obliged, but as someone dining alone, I didn't feel at all out of place. Finally, the spa was state of the art, with good use of light and space and a modern take on what we might want from our spas.(Though the pedicure with the therapist kneeling in front of you is a bit OTT!).

I was extremely stressed and the staff couldn't have been more helpful - all comments and questions were dealt with professionally, warmly and politely. There is so much that is good about this hotel, it deserves to do well - it's the attention to detail that makes the difference and with a little bit of a push it gets there. It makes a great escape from London, and I would love to return.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with stairs you might want to avoid Rose - but I'm sure that the hotel wi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tixall1
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have just returned home from an overnight stay at Ockenden Manor. I had to talk my husband into going away for the night so I was apprehensive to say the least. We were greeted by the receptionist who was friendly and very helpful. To my surprise our room was situated in the spa area so we followed the receptionist tentatively. Wow what a lovely room we were both delighted this part of the hotel was only finished in December the building is very modern and the views are breath taking. Our package included pre dinner sparkling wine called Ridgeway, it was delicious , what a lovely touch. The dinner was gorgeous especially the hand made bread and the pudding was out of this world. The next morning my husband and I went to the spa. He usually refuses to go swimming but it looked so lovely. We went in the jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, pool and relaxed of the lounges reading the paper. We didn't leave until lunchtime even though are original plan was to be home by then. The Spa is the best one I have been to and the first one my husband has been to. I will definitely be coming back with some friends for the day. I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel, try and get a spa room if you can and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a Spa room if you like modern luxury.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuckfield
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Best Western The Birch Hotel
Best Western The Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!