“Good ambience but poor food and service”

Miller's at the Anchor Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We visited for a spot of lunch and decided to share the seafood platter. The food initially looked well presented. On eating however We realised one of the battered fish dishes was still raw inside and most of the prawns had thousands of little eggs hanging off their legs. I don't tend to complain so we decided to pay the bill and find something to settle our stomachs. Because of the poor food and we never received the drinks ordered I decided not to pay the service charge they added to the bill. The man serving us was very annoyed we didn't pay the gratuity and when I explained became angry with us for not mentioning it sooner. I'm afraid I don't think this is good customer service. If they are going to take such offense to being told upon paying the bill a waiter should have asked us how our food was whilst we were sat at the table. We wished we'd gone to one of the other restaurants in the area!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We dropped in here for afternoon tea, which was pleasant enough without being anything special.

It was served in the library, possibly the most cluttered room I have ever encountered - ornaments of every sort. Not my sort of room at all, but it did have a certain fascination. sitting outside in summer would be a better proposition.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Nice, interesting menu, tasted every bit as good as it sounded. Friendly service, only complaint was there was not enough light in the dining room but we were given more candles to help!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were lucky that the weather was so beautiful when we visited here for afternoon tea two weeks ago, it meant that we could sit outside with the lovely views. We had our two big dogs with us and it was nice that we would have been allowed in with them, but I wouldn't have liked to be inside as it is so claustrophobic with all the stuff around. Not my style at all!! Saying that the tea was lovely. Delicious delicate sandwiches, and enough cream and jam to go on twice as many scones, it was a real treat to pile it up so high. Very nice cake and delicious petite fours, in fact we couldn't eat it all and took the two pieces of cake away with us to have the next day. It was even nicer because I had a two for one voucher, which made it affordable for us.
So overall, views nice, food lovely, inside cluttered and dark.

1  Thank nettyandian
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I shared a delightful fish platter from the lunchtime menu. We had an excellent wine and great desserts. Afterwards we sat in the lounge where we had WIfi access so we were able to catch up with our emails whilst on holiday. The staff were friendly polite and helpful. The decor is fascinatingly full of antiques. There are trays of sweets and candles everywhere. Sumptious leather armchairs, a great library of books, boxes of family games and even a toy box for visiting youngsters. We were so delighted with our experience here that we brought our daughter and her family for an evening meal. The atmosphere was relaxed and the food very tasty.

1  Thank Kay M