“An amazing hotel indeed!”

Millers At The Anchor
Ranked #2 of 3 Porlock Weir B&B and Inns
Abu Dhabi
“An amazing hotel indeed!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had found this hotel online and wanting to have a destination after a full day's hike on the South Coast Path. I arrived at the hotel exhausted walked through the front door and was greeted by my last name. The checkin took no more than a minute. I was shown to my room by the charming Maria. I stayed in room No. 14 which has a side view of the sea. A lovely room filled with books and lots of windows. After a long bath I went downstairs and sat outside and was immediately asked if I wanted a drink. The next minute I had a pint of ice cold larger in front of me.

I asked for a menu and at the same time book a table for dinner at the restaurant. After I had finished my beer I was escorted to my table and with in 3 minutes my appetizer had arrived. The quality of the food, for all my three courses, was excellent. The service in the restaurant was impeccable. I have been to many legacy hotels in London that don't even come close to the level of service at Millers. I loved my stay at the Millers so much that I made it a plan to spend the last night of my trip back there and I didn't regret it. An amazing hotel indeed and I loved everything about it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I happened upon this hotel by chance...we decided to visit for our 10 year anniversary and were very glad we did! Upon arrival, we noted the staff to be very courteous and very pleasant..this continued throughout our stay. I must say, all the staff are a credit to you Millers....Our room was wonderful, although the en-suite a little `tired` in decoration...much like the lounge suites, however, this said, these items were really not to be highlighted as the whole hotel was jam packed with fabulous antiques and much kitsch too - all amazing. The view was amazing and the whole of the area we found stunning. Food....well although perfectly adequate we do feel could have been a little better and was a little expensive for its calibre....but all said, we would definitely return and recommend....Thank you to Millers for making our special occasion, very special indeed. We have only rated our sleep quality as poor due to us finding the feather pillows inadequate....I am sure we could have requested more pillows, but we did not.

Sheffield
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just arrived back from Millers, what an amazing hotel, so quirky stacked to the top with all sorts of antiques, books, paintings, candlesticks...etc...etc it just goes on. As we booked very late in the year we were only able to get the garden room, backing on to the woodland. It was a lovely relaxing stay we ate in the restaurant 3 of the 5 nights as they close Monday & Tuesday to allow staff time to recover. Food was very good on all occasions as was the wine served in a very elegant dining room. The relaxed atmosphere and unusual ambience made it a very memorable experience. Thought the cinema evening was a great idea even thought we didn't join in with it this time.
It has to be said that one of the best things about the hotel is the staff, a small team who do an wonderful job all around. So a big, big thank you to Marie for her friendliness and efficiency, Victor for his charm and good looks, Elena for her warmth and enthusiasm, Alicia for her hard work and diligence, Magda for her lovely morning greeting and smile and Danielle for her good humour and attentiveness. Thank you also to Tania, you have a team and hotel to be proud of We are planning on visiting them all now.

Room Tip: Think the rooms with the sea view would be wonderful to wake up to so book early enough to get one.
Caterham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I will start off with the positives as the positives far outweigh the negatives.
This is a charming 3 star hotel, run by the daughter of Mr Miller, the antiques man, who is an avid collector and has chosen to open a few hotels to store his collection. As a result the hotel and the restaurant are full of interesting paintings, which annoyingly (for my eye) were often crooked, scupltures, general antique bric-a-brac and so on, and decorated in an older style. There is atmosphere. Loads of candles, dark red rich colours.
The hotel is comfortable. Lovely bed, good size bedrooms, although I believe the en-suites differ from room to room. Many of the harbour rooms have four poster beds and obviously a decent view. There are books galore that can be read and I believe taken away if you so wish. The location is lovely, but slightly out the way down windy lanes and once you are there you have a choice of about four places to eat. We decided to eat at the Millers on both nights.
We were not disappointed. The food was excellent. The price though was slightly high, in line with many gastro pubs of the South East, so you are expecting to pay £6-9 for a starter, £13-£20 for a main and another £5 for a dessert. We ate both nights and paid about £40pp, with some wine. The wine list is good but expect to pay £20+ for a nice bottle.
Some of the things we chose to have were; steaks (on Steak night) which were excellent and were good cuts, served with a bearnaise or peppercorn. Couldn't fault the rib eye, I would have a little bit more tarragon in the bearnaise if it were my choice. The starters were good overall but the scallops were small and I didn't go for the black pudding and apple puree combination. I love scallops and have regularly had better in France. The pate on the second night was good but the chef is going through a balsamic glaze phase that I've seen in France a few years ago. A little too much IMO. However, it was a good meal. Expect to pay £40pp.
The negatives... really it is only one negative: Intermittent service. When we arrived (Wednesday afternoon in the holiday season) there seemed to be one person working. The bar, interestingly, has a help yourself (for staying guests) approach. Think it's a great idea, but I think the main desk should be manned all of the time, which it wasn't and ringing the bell did little good when there was only one waiter/ barman/ receptionist. They did up the service come the evening. When there are the numbers then everything was fine. Lovely people.
However, when Mr Miller's daughter was around, she's the boss, then I have to say that she was fantastic; excellent customer service, and made the stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The recentish revamp has taken this hotel into overload mode with bright colours and massive over decoration and slightly kitch ambiance. The nautical them gets slightly swamped in Bohemian trappings.

Rooms remain charming and its location second to none - lie in bed watching the sea coming in...

Good if not outstanding food and a lot more expensive than under the old owners to whom we gave 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I arrived circa 7pm to find no-one in reception. Continued bell -ringing did not draw anyone away from whatever they were doing, so I returned to my car, moved it to the free car park area (a bonus that otherwise it would have been even more expensive!), sorted 'stuff' out and then returned to the hotel, by which time someone was in reception. A lady (guest/local) in reception said that I had been remarkably patient earlier, when no one answered the bell). My room was overlooking the harbour - which was expected but, nevertheless, a great asset. The room was quirky, as expected, and there was plenty of reading material! I had a great night's kip and the breakfast was excellent. Service was good, except from the initial lack of welcome. Loved the honesty bar - except for the cost of a GnT and a brandy which totalled £15 on my bar bill next morning. Ate at the pub next door, as the resto was closed Monday evening.

A fantastic setting, really interesting and unusual accommodation, a character venue if ever this description were to be used. Service as described - costly extras - the p[rices for the restaurant looked a b it pricey too, so probably pleased I ate next door!

It must be said - a good night's stay - but beware the costs!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the harbour add to your stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
millersattheanchor, Manager at Millers At The Anchor, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am terribly sorry the receptionist wasnt there to greet you on arrival I believe he was taking someone to their room we will put a sign up in future when we are checking people in so that you know where they are. I apologise for this inconvenience but am glad you had a lovely stay with us. With regards to your honesty bar bill, it is stated on the sheet that unless it is written as a single measure, all drinks are charged as doubles which may be why you found it higher than expected however I will look into this for you to make sure that all guests are aware of this as when making their own drinks measures are usually not used! we hope to see you again in the near future.
Herts
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We also booked this hotel through an Amazon deal and absolutely loved it! The setting in Exmoor is beautiful. The staff were friendly, polite, very attentive and remembered our names straightaway. The lovely receptionist took time to explain everything, including the honesty bar and it all made us feel very welcome. The hotel style is very unique with lots of antiques and books, but all in a homely, relaxed fashion and not at all like a museum. Our room was gorgeous - a harbour view with just the right balance of old and new furnishings. A king size, comfortable bed and a modern bathroom, tea tray and sweets - perfect! We tried the restaurant the first night and so enjoyed the experience that we decided to dine in again the second night. The setting in the evening is very romantic, with lots of candlelight and we had a table in a very unusual alcove for one meal. It is not a cheap restaurant but we thought it was value for money and we liked the food. Breakfast was excellent too. There is a Cafe bistro on the harbour and also a pub next door, which both serve a range of cheaper meals and also a great fish and chip takeaway. Probably a hotel more suited to older guests or couples but not to be missed if you like something a little different to the mainstream.

Room Tip: definitely go for a harbour view room
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porlock Weir