The Royal Oak Inn
Simonsbath House(Simonsbath)
$144
$140
Hotels.com
Dunkery Beacon Hotel(Wootton Courtenay)
$99
  • Restaurant
The George(South Molton)
$94
Hotwire.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
Marston Lodge Hotel(Minehead)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubroyal oaksteakgreat foodwell worth a visitexmoor alebreakfast was excellentlong timebar arealarge portionslooking forwardjakes barthree timesexcellent valueopen log firelovely villageroast potatoes
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Well I don't know where to start. Booked via the Internet on Tuesday afternoon. Double room with breakfast included £90. Although I assume the last room I had due to the iron man being on so had a private bathroom across the hall. But that was no problem at all. From time of arrival to departure everything was just fantastic.
Great cider, ales and service. After a nice relaxing bath went back down for a couple of drinks before dinner. Then this is where it all went wrong!! I must point out at this point for the rightreasons!!
The choice on the menu was just amazing so it took sometime to choose. So after sometime thinking the deed was done.

Deep fried Brie wedges, my goodness I have never seen so much cheese
Chicken liver parfait , just lovely both to start

Baked fig risotto and turbot and king prawn linguine .

Oh and Eton mess for afters and a good couple of glasses of rose.

The bar was buzzing the staff were fantastic and provided a warmth to the stay.

Just one warning to anyone who visits the royal oak! You will not go hungry especially if you stay over night and go for the full English breakfast. I like my food but I have to admit leaving what can only be described as the best English breakfast I have ever had.

Room and bathroom very clean quite and well presented.

Well worth a visit!!!!!!

Thanks to Paul and Sarah and your staff for just a brilliant stay.

Will be back very soon.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Scrumpy41
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We booked dinner for 5 people.
My wife & I (and we love our food , it has to be good!)
One of my wife's clients who had come over from Italy
and our friends Mother & Father of whom are two "Time Served" now retired hoteliers from the busy resort of St Ives. (The Father being a accomplished chef of some 35 years) and both well travelled.
This is as I have said before an "Old World Inn" and therefore no surprise that the "Rustic, Traditional" Bar ticks all the boxes. It has a nice atmosphere, yes it is "Low Lit" lighting wise, but that only adds to the atmosphere.
The young waitress (I believe new to the establishment) was very helpful, pleasant and did her level best to answer all our questions.
Dinner selected was 3 x fish and chips, 1 x steak and kidney Pie, & 1 x "Rabbit" dish.
All cooked beautifully, delivered to the table together, the only complaint on first ovbservation? That portion of Steak and Kidney pie and veg is big!
The Fish and Chips, really nice, The Steak and Kidney pie had a very artistic puff pastry crust , obviously hand designed...A nice personal touch by the chefs.
The dish that was given the highest scrutiny it has to be said was our friends father, being a chef, his comments were, "Beautifully Presented, Nice balanced dish" Needless to say, all the plates were clean! (well except for the steak and kidney pie as it was a big portion!)
With a good selection of beers, ales, soft drinks and wine available, no complaints there.
We finished off with Mint teas for the ladies and coffees for the rest of us.
Paul (Owner Manager) was very attentive, friendly and could not have made our meal any better.
The new waitress, was very nice and efficient.
All I can say is, If you have had a bad experience here, I feel you should give it a second chance, I watched others in the Inn receiving their meals, from an amazing "Pint of Prawns" to "Rib Eye" steaks that floated by, all seemed very happy and there was a great buzz in the room.
To give an idea of cost.
With a round of drinks, Main courses and coffees to finish. £86.00 was the order of the day. So for 5 persons that's hardly a bank buster for good food.
The second part of the Royal Oaks Deal is that it is a couple running the show. Paul & Sarah, Sarah is an accomplished Chef and has along with new chefs at her side, they've changed the menu.
We will be going back. It'll be the 5 time we've eaten there since Mothers Day weekend.
Nuff said

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TDFtraveller
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed for one night and the staff were superb, very busy pub and great food. The bedrooms and bed were very comfortable and very clean and had a great nights sleep. Took the dog with us, great long walk from the tar steps, then after dinner brought her into pub, no problems at all, everybody made a fuss of her. No problems in recommending a stay here.

Room Tip: Not no 6 as its above the bar, if you are early to bed, but nice bath!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Great old inn and bar and friendly hosts. Good size rooms. Good shower, hot and with good pressure. A nice big bed, but a bit soft. Good wifi. Very nice meals and ales. Nicely decorated throughout but ceiling in room three needs attention as is is discoloured and cracking. Lovely quiet village and location. Nice breakfast and a great packed walkers lunch the next day. A nice overnight stay while walking the Two Moors.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We have used the restaurant several times. After a slight decline in late 2012, things are definately back on the right track, now the the new owners are in place. Six of us ate there last saturday and the meal was very good, with improved portion sizes and more care taken with food quality and presentation. The staff, many of them who have been there for several years also seemed to have a spring in thier step once again!

Room Tip: We only use the bars & restaurant, but try and use the top bar for meals.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family