“lovely feel and food”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

we dine here as often as we can usually for lunches which are plentiful and varied i love their welsh rarebit with salad normal menu but nicely presented and cooked this has changed hands a little in the time we have visited hope the new owners continue in the way they have begun

Date of visit: December 2012
1  Thank Elaine W

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We dined here for the first time last night (weds 9th Jan) having booked earlier in the week, a table of 4. Firstly the booked experience was handled quickly and professionally, and the phone answered promptly.

This is a very comfortable and cosy country pub basically consisting of a Bar / Lounge area and restaurant. Subtley decorated and not looking scruffy. Although they were fairly busy during our visit with the restaurant being pretty full, the Barnman and a waiter managed adequately between them without keeping anyone waiting, and indeed were polite and cheery when at the table. A good range of real and local ales being served.

Upon arriving and getting drinks sorted the barman provided FRESHLY printed paper menus to us at one of the lounge tables. There was a Specials board hung over the fireplace on which he advised us, and noted the soup, grill and pate's of the day.

On the regular menu there were 6 to 7 VERY varied choices for each course, and on a separate board we again noted a varied sweets choice too. My collegues and I felt there was something for everyone (inc veg's) without there being too much on the menu for them to manage.

Although I am not an avid devotee of blue cheese, I none the less tried the Shropshire blue & wild garliced mushrooms upon a warm rocket and ciabatta. The chef was happy to cut down on the cheese for me, so gave it a go! The Chicken goujons and sweet chilli dip was very tempting none the less. The barman took the orders, asked if he could us any more drinks and said he would let us know 5mins before the starters were ready so we could make our way to the restaurant, which indeed he did, and made some brief conversation to settle us in.

Having reduced the starters to 4 clean plates, for our mains we ordered two Rib eye's, a beef lasagne and my partner tried the Gammon. If you were expecting the usual heap of greasey looking pale steak chips to universally accompany this fairly standard "pub grub" order, think again. Beautifully crisp and golden twice or thrice cooked hand cut beasts arrived. As did a beautiful french mustard dressing.

This is a pub and serving hearty home cooked food, and this certainly was it, and expertly done. My steak I requested Medium pink, and a collegue medium. This is how they were delivered, on hot plates and not swimming in juices, along side some good mushrooms and home made onion rings.

The Lasange looked excellant, as did the gammon, and they obviously ate well too as not a jot was left on any of our plates. During the meal the staff checked twice that we were happy and had everything to hand.

The wine list was ample and priced suitably, and upon querying, a couple of good choices were recommended. We will admit to knowing 'abit' about wine, not that we were testing the staff; moreover it was a revelation to see that they also knew something about what they were serving.

Lastly the puddings. All obviously home made, and freshly prepared. I could have happily ate 3 courses such was the appealing choice. In the end I opted for the syrup sponge, although the raspberry and apple crumble was taken by my collegues. 3 more clean plates, and we were STUFFED full.

4 covers, 2 rounds of drinks and wine, 3 courses each £120.

So overall. On its own this would be good on the merits of the food and premises alone. Added into the mix the carefully considered variety of homecooked food, delivered in an unhurried and professional manner, and expertly prepared. You would think that it's an easy receipe, but so many places happily demonstrate that they just cant manage it!

I would especially like to thank all at the Green Dragon for the excellant food, good atmosphere and great company. Recommended.

Date of visit: January 2013
4  Thank Timbo75
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Came to this pub on a chilly day. Big log fire, friendly attentive service and good pub food. Husband enjoyed the well kept real ales. Dogs welcome in bar area.

Date of visit: January 2013
1  Thank Terry M
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We have eaten here a few times when we have visited Church Stretton. It is a small drive out of Church Stretton and has plenty of parking.
The pub is a traditional country pub with a welcoming atmosphere and friendly staff. There is a nice choice of traditional beers and cider.
My family and I have only ever eaten in the bar as the restaurant has always been fully booked, however, this is by no means a disappointment.
There is plenty of choice on the menu from local sausages to homemade boeuf bourguignon. There are also traditional bar meals available such as quiche and jacket potatoes.All of the food is fresh, made from scratch and locally sourced.
My family had the salmon, homemade quiche (brocolli and Stilton), turkey baguette and an extra portion of chips and coleslaw. The portions were plentiful and well presented on the plate.
The chips being home cut and clearly cooked from fresh.
The nice surprise was the bill......I have paid a lot more money for average meals in dreadful well known chains, where the quality is far inferior to the food served at the Green Dragon.
I cannot fault this pub being superb quality and easy on the purse - highly recommend. Well done!

Date of visit: December 2012
3  Thank SweetpollyO
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Recently had our second visit to the Green Dragon, as with the first visit, food superb. We visited on a School night with kids in tow, Bar was half full of regulars sharing stories of their day. We sat by the cosy Log Burner and looked through the Menu. The kids were offered a seperate Menu or the full choice of the Adult Menu with £2 off each price, a nice touch. I chose the Beef Curry which I asked for Extra Hot, the kids had Steak Pie and Scampi, whilst my Partner chose the Chili Con Carne. All four plates were excellent my Curry was indeed Extra Hot, the Scampi and Pie were pronounced perfect, which is very unusual for our kids! The Chili was served with a bowl of Cheese which can often be left out. All in all a cheap (£30 with Drinks for 4) and Tasty Meal. No complaints at all.

Date of visit: November 2012