“Home baked cooking!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating
Derbyshire
“Home baked cooking!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was recommended this cafe by a friend. It has quite a hidden entrance on the main Sandford Avenue and up some stairs to the main cafe. There are a few rooms upstairs and a beautiful little tea garden outside. Since the sun as shining I decided to eat al fresco. I ordered the nut roast with salad. The salad was lovely with lots of variety and the nut roast, the best I've had! I couldn't leave without trying some of the home made cakes on offer. I had generous helping of some gorgeous moist carrot cake and a fresh filter coffee to finish. This cafe is a little gem, and particularly seems to cater for people with special dietary requirements, gluten free, sugar free, vegetarian etc. Definitely worth a visit!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank MiriamBen83

London, United Kingdom
“Could have been great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Being a veggie, I was looking forward to eating here. Another couple were before us and asked for a sandwich. They left five minutes later as the waitress was unable to get an answer from the kitchen about what fillings were available. No problem: we were not in a rush and were hungry so whatever was available would do.

Alas, the waitress disappeared and we were left contemplating the cakes behind the counter with fevered stares. Several minutes passed and we were still alone; thinking that the cafe had closed we left but on reaching the base of the staircase, the waitress shouted from above "did you want to know about the sandwiches?"

I'd like to think that this establishment offers excellent service and tasty fare: maybe they were having a bad day. There are few places that know or care about veggie/vegan/gluten-free so I'll give them another chance next year.

Obviously, I cannot give a score for 'food' or 'value'.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank g999ads
shropshire
“Great for veggies”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

A quaint cafe with a lovely garden courtyard area in the middle of Church Stretton, tucked away on the Sandford Ave.

Visited April 2012
wirral
“Hostile and cold atmosphere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Having been before was looking forward to brunch here with friends. The layout of the cafe is comfortable, that I am afraid is where the positives end. The atmosphere is so unfriendly and hostile I can honestly say I would not return . I was with friends travelling to celebrate a birthday and planned our brunch here to start off our weekend away . The menu was very limited and I asked who I presume was the owner if it was possible to have egg on toast to which I recieved a very curt response of " No only whats on the menu " Two of the party ordered sardines on toast which came on a thin piece of uninteresting sliced bread and topped with COLD sardines In all everything about this place is cold and unfriendly. Not good

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank mags241
Shropshire
“Lovely food, super staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have been to this wholefood cafe many times, and have always enjoyed the food. Chris the owner makes lovely soups which are always served piping hot with a choice of a plain or a garlic granary stick. Her nut roast is delicious, as is her quiche. She bakes lovely wholesome cakes--no, not walnut and coffee cake or lemon drizzle, but delicious date cake, Belgian cake etc which inspire you to try baking them yourself at home! She has a huge variety of fair trade teas.
If you want a fry up, don't go here, but if you want your taste buds stimulated by the lovely aroma while you walk up the staircase to the cafe, then give it a try!

Visited March 2012