Sands Caravan & Camping Park
  • Bar/Lounge
Tigh an Eilean(Shieldaig)
Kinlochewe Hotel(Kinlochewe)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswell stocked shopsand dunesgreat campsitethe barncafe restaurantfire pittoilet blockon site shopcooking areaplay parkgames roomlarge sitepitch your tentcommunal fridgebrilliant sitechoose your owncooking facilities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Wigwam heaven on the Sands campsite. We had a lovely stay here, very clean, tidy, welcoming 10 night stay on this campsite. Located in a beautiful part of Scotland. Site shop was really good. Washing machine and Dryer were great.

The Wigwams are very comfortable and warm, with heaters and kettles, and a good kitchen area. Picnic table outside with firepit/bbq pit.

My daughter loved the playground and made many friends and spent many happy hours playing. The beach is clean, with lovely sand dues and fantastic views on the mountains and islands as the back drop. The sea bed was nice and shallow for quite a long way out which the kids loved. Will be back

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Excellent location.
Very good pitches, great to have 7M between them too.
Amazing shop and very friendly staff.
Beautiful part of Scotland.
One of the best campsites I have ever stayed at.
Beautiful beach and dunes.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Quinton B
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is an excellent and well appointed Campsite with a great location yards from the beach. We were able to choose our own pitch and were left to ourselves for our four night stay. There are lots of little pitches in the dunes for smaller tents but we chose a large site where the kids could play. The kids playground was good but our boys were more interested in rock pooling and playing on the sand.

The shower and toilet block is new and excellent with plenty of clean and fresh toilets and showers. Next to this is a wonderful indoor cooking area where you can bring your own stove or hire the camp's grill. There are fridges and freezers here also and I suppose it's just honesty that keeps your stuff in. Also on site is a very good restaraunt serving some good home cooking and the camp shop has everything you need at a very realistic price. The camp is kept extremely clean and tidy and the owners are very helpful and pleasant people.

We enjoyed most of all foraging for wild mussels and winkles on the seashore which we ate alongside some mackerel which some fishermen at the harbour gave us for free!

This is the best campsite I have been to with my family for a long time and despite the odd bit of rain and the ever present midgie it was a very enjoyable experience and one I will be repeating again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Phil S
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Booked 5 nights camping for my daughter age 13, myself and our springer spaniel on a serviced pitch. Have to say it is one of the best sites I have been to. You pitch your tent wherever you want as long as you are at least 20 ft from the next tent. We had a pitch next to a small river behind the sand dunes. Good amenities, free hot showers, free hairdryers, clean toilets, decent washing machines and dryers as well as irons. Very well stocked shop with fresh bread everyday and pretty much everything else you need. There is a cafe on site, food is good but expensive, but then you are pretty much a captive audience as nearest eatery is 3 miles away in the village. I would recommend booking a table as they appeared very busy when we were there last week.
Beach is a lovely long stretch of sand as well as dunes. It looks out west over to the Isle of Skye so great spot for sunsets.
Watch out for MIDGES!! I'm sure they have teeth! They are ferocious and everywhere so take plenty of repellent as you WILL need it. If there is a wind or rain you will get a rest from them, otherwise be prepared. That said they didn't spoil our holiday as the place is so picturesque.
There are bikes and kayaks for hire along with a brilliant kids play area. There is a great 2 km walk opposite the site where you can walk your dog off lead without fear of running into sheep etc. Our springer loved running through the heather.
The village down the road has a butcher, chemist, chinese takeaway, fish and chip shop and restaurant plus a few other shops where you can buy provisions. Don't expect supermarket type shops, but certainly plenty to get by on.
You can go on a boat trip to search for whales. We did this but found it disappointing as only saw the back of 1 minke whale as it went under the water and a couple of dolphins. Still, you can't control what you see in the sea. ( 4 hr trip was £45 for adults and £35 for kids 12 and under) If you have a dog they have kennels where you can safely leave your dog.
All in all it was a great holiday and will return again. If you don't like camping there are caravans and wigwams for hire and of course you can take your own motor home. Very peaceful and relaxing. Staff very pleasant and helpful.
One small thing to consider is mobile phone reception and Internet access. There is wifi in parts of the site that you can pay for - 2.99 for an hour, but longer periods are also available. Only Vodaphone and O2 work in the area, tho don't expect full signal, maybe 2 bars. Even in the village the signal is weak and other networks don't appear to be available there either.
I would highly recommend this site if you want peace, tranquility and scenery!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Loopers63
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I came here for my second visit (first was 8 years ago) and was pleased to find that all the facilities were as I remembered, but possibly even better! The shower/toilet block had been upgraded, and in the washing up area, there was the welcome addition of a hob, microwave and two fridge freezers for clients to use - god send (especially the fridge freezers!). We didn't need to use the hob, but could've done with use fo the micro for my son's night time bottle - but at £1 for 20 mins, while it was good value, was totally inappropriate for us who only need a minute.

The beach is fantastic, and while there are a load of jellyfish, we got assured by several locals that the sting was no worse than a nettle sting - and we saw several children actually picking up jellyfish out the water.

The whole site was immaculate - its all very clean, which is great to see.

There was the new addition of a cafe/restaurant to the premises, and my hubby and I tested it out for both breakfast and dinner. I have to say, it was hit and miss:

Breakfast: The service was terrible - we ordered our own food at the counter, then waited for it to be cooked and brought over. but with it being the height of the busy season, the place was chocka, and I don't think that had been accounted for. there were only two people working - one cooking, and one serving, and the serving lady kept forgetting who had ordered what. the portions sizes weren't fantastic either, for the price you paid. £5.95 for a 4 piece meal where you kinda literally got a slice of bacon, a small egg and a tablespoon of beans, is a bit much. You could get much better value for money in Aberdeen, which is well known for rip off prices!

Dinner: Was a shambles. We booked a table for 7, as we were eating with our little boy. It took an age for the waitress to come and take our order in the first place - drinks were taken earlier, and they arrived with no ice - and then the food took FOREVER to come in the end. I think we got our main course at 8.30! My toddler son was far too tired to eat anything by then, and we had to leave pretty much all of his meal on the table. We had ordered him a child's meal of burger and chips, and decided to have burger and chips ourselves - we were very surprised to see that his burger was the same as ours!

I think the cafe/restaurant could be a real winner for them - but they desperately need someone to come in and teach them how to manage the running of it properly, or else its going to lose them business. And its for that terrible service I've given them 3 stars.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family