“Very Tatty!”

Ranked #7 of 17 Gairloch B&B and Inns
North West England
“Very Tatty!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

My wife & I booked a double room for two nights at the end of May as a break in our journey to our annual fishing break up in NorthWest Sutherland. This is a corner of Scotland we had never visited before.

On arrival we were most impressed by the friendly greetings offered by no less than four individual members of staff - before we had checked in. The young lady who checked us in was most pleasant and efficient.

We were shown to a room at the rear of the hotel on the ground floor - past the kitchens - and directly behind the public bar. We started to be concerned! We noticed there was no carpet on the floor - not even a rug to cover the tiles. There was a double bed - pushed up against the wall-and a single. The bathroom was amazing. I know what a wetroom is -and this wasn't one. It was a conbentional shower room without an enclosure or curtain. The floor wasn't sloped towards the waste and so once it had been operated the entire bathroom floor remained wet all night. There was no hot water and the extractor fan emitted an incredible noise which continued for a couple of minutes after the light was switched off. This was marvelous in the middle of the night. Not that we had much sleep anyway.

We chose to eat in the bar. What a disaster! The food was "reasonable" but I have never encountered such disorganised service. The staff were all, once again, most pleasant and polite but didn't have a clue. I suspect a training issue?

We checked out the next morning and our shortened stay wasn't queried. Perhaps this is a regular occurance?

Never again!

• Liked — Welcoming staff
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank FluffChucker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

As a party of 40-50 year olds we are used to staying in 4 or 5 star hotels on business and used to checking them out on Trip Advisor. However for our winter mountaineering trip to Scotland we were looking for a country pub.

We nearly didn’t stay at The Old Inn due to some unfavorable write-ups on Trip Advisor. I spoke about these concerns with Alastair the proprietor, and he was honest enough to say they had had some problems, but they were working hard to overcome them. He assured us of a comfortable stay and friendly staff. After some debate, we decided to give the Old Inn a go.

They delivered on this promise. We had a great time. Comfortable simple en-suite bedrooms, great breakfasts and packed lunches and decent evening meals. The young staff were really excellent and couldn’t do enough to help. The value for money (not our top priority) was tremendous.

We will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2007

I am just back and stopped over one night as part of a short tour of the highlands with my husband. We have been many times before over the years and have noticed in last 2 years a definite change in the inn but not for the better. I have the feeling it has changed hands and the charm has waned. Rooms have been re-decorated but the wall paper was pealing at the edges on practically every strip in our room- as if they had run out of paste.

By the cosy fire the wall paper tissue thin so you can see they did not sand down the walls first. It is also way too light this needs to be a cosy warm colour to match the room.

The dining room was not open and only bar menu served which was run of the mill. Really disappointed as the whole point was to go there for their fab seafood. Basically we have always gone there for the food first and accomodation second but the rooms were always a good standard.

I would maybe advise make sure you get a good price on the room and make sure dining room open then at least fab food will make up for unusual room.

• Liked — seafood
  • Disliked — poor decorating standards
1 Thank Countryquine
Kinross
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2007

My wife and I have just returned from three nights at the Old Inn. We had last been there five years ago and we are sorry to say it has taken so long and glad to say that there has been little change. From other reviews we note that you may find the rooms in less than pristine condition. Our ceiling was half papered and it didn't spoil our holiday one little bit. We did have to wait for four minutes for the hot water to arrive in the bathroom but that was because we were at the end of the line plumbing-wise. Otherwise, the room was comfortable and clean with a great view of the ducks. The rates are reasonable, the staff are friendly and helpful, the food is great and the beer is plentiful and tasty.
It has to be understood that you are in the Scottish Highlands and life is not lived at the pace to which we become accustomed at home. It has been said that there is not a term in the Gaelic language that sufficiently expresses the sheer haste of manyanna.
If you want a cosy and relaxing break in a building with great character and you don't expect everything immediately, then the Old Inn is for you. If you want perfection, why not stay at home?

• Liked — The relaxing atmosphere. The comfortable chairs by the log fire. The food and beers/wine. The character of the building
  • Disliked — The hot water situation but it was minimal in the overall experience.
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2007

Having been to this area of Scotland many times I fancied a last minute weekend break and we chose the Old inn as the website raved about their food and they said on the phone they were pet friendly (dog had to come too!!)

Both times we phoned the staff were friendly polite and answered all our questions.

We arrived to be greeted by a pleasant member of staff who showed us to our room which although it had a view of the car park was a cosy well decorated room with a four poster bed for us and a dog bed and bowl for our dog. I thought this was such a nice touch. The lights were on in our room as we walked in which made it warm and homely on a dreich cold November Scottish Day!!

The dog was allowed in the bar where they served the same food as the restaurant. Food was cooked to order and DELICIOUS. Again the staff were very helpful and friendly and the prices, especially considering the portions and quality were good too.

The bar had a nice atmosphere with locals tourists and climbers chatting. After our meal we asked if we could sit with the dog in the lounge area had have some more drinks infront of a roaring fire and this was fine . What a lovely night.

The only problems we encountered were at night and may have been room specific so I will come to them later...

Next morning my partner went down for breakfast and as I didnt think leaving the dog on his own was either acceptable or right I asked if he could see if he could bring me up a bacon sandwich or roll that I could eat in the room. He returned 10 minutes later with a tray with a full breakfast and fruit juice etc that we could eat in the room. Again a really nice touch and nothing seemed too much trouble.

We really enjoyed our stay. As I say I had one complaint or problem, the bed!!!!! We stayed in Room 2 and to be fair we did not highlight the problem so it is unfair to judge on how the hotel would have responded. The bed itself was a 4 poster and was average in comfort and would I am sure have provided a goodnights sleep if it had not been that every way you sat/moved/turned/even sneezed the bed squeaked, and I MEAN squeaked. So it was a fairly restless night as unless we lay perfectly still not even turning over the squeaks were loud enough to wake which ever of us was asleep!! This was room 2 and as I say may well have been specific to this room. Had it not been for this my rating would have been excellent instead of above average.

But overall a great place with amazing food lovely staff and a HUGE choice in dvds board games and books (in several languages - another nice touch) you can take to your room should the weather be cold and wet.

Very enjoyable

• Liked — The staff, the location, the food, the area, the roaring log fire, the walks nearby, ...pretty much everything
  • Disliked — The bed
1 Thank lferr
United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2007

My wife and I arrived to find no one at the reception (after a nine hour drive), we eventually managed to find a young man who checked us in, he was very helpful carrying the cases up stairs as there is no lift or any disabled facilities we could see.
We then proceeded to the bar which was rather noisey as a football match was on the tele and big screen, and if you wanted a drink you have to find the female bar staff, who was usually in the breakfast room, and was not very welcoming at all, the bar tables were greasy (looked as if one cloth had been used to clean or dirty all the tables.
The Old Inn displays awards for its fish restaurant, which I may say in my view was over rated, the seating was hard chairs and benches with decorative (looks like home made) padding pinned on, the tables for two were far too small, the waiteress had difficulty getting the plated meals on, I must say that the young (foriegn) waitresses were quite pleasant..
On our first evening we dined in the restaurant, I ordered a sirloin steak, The waitress asked how I would like the steak cooked, I told them medium and well seasoned, the waitress returned to ask what meant by well seasoned, I explained to her what is usually meant, however when the steak was served it was in my opinion not a sirloin, and was not medium but rare (nearly blue), we ate in the restaurant another two times before deciding to eat elsewere.
The bed room we had was clean and tidy, but one thing that was not quite correct was that the television (wall mounted) was fixed onto a stoothing wall, which allowed the sound to be heard in the next room, this we know as we had a note pushed under our door to make us aware of this, (it would be awkward if a guest was a little hard of hearing).
The car park is also home to a flock of Ducks, which you have to walk through (there droppings) to get to the entrance to the Inn, this is again not very good for a eating house/hotel as the dirt is being transfered from the car park to the restaurant /bar and other areas.
On the reception was a blond lady who seemed to be in charge, she if you did not speak to her first would ignore you, I really feel that staff traing would go along way along with a period at a charm school for most of the staff, none were welcoming at all.
The Old Inn advertises a 3AA award, this surely cannot be correct, and would advise that it is reviewed by the AA.
Needless to say we will not be making The Old Inn our holiday base again

On the Gairloch to Ullapool road you come to a little village that signs the only perfumary in Scotland, this is well worth a visit, nice perfumes and lovely clean modern cafe with very nice staff.

We stayed on our way home overnight at The Tarbett Guest House, Loch Lomond, Scotland, which if it were an Hotel it would be a 5 star plus, it is situated on a mountain overlooking Ben Lomond and Loch Lomond. the view from our room was magnificent, even though it was raining.

In all with the exception of the Old Inn, and the poor weather we had a nice holiday, the scenery alone makes up for any other disappointments.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DerwentUnitedKingdom

Travelers are raving about these Gairloch hotels

Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

the cobwebs on the lightshade were still there on my second visit. the staff speak in their native tongue (not english) and ignore you. the food is ok if it is just pub food you want. then menu never varies, the breakfast is the same every morning, the tv remote does not work, staff are seen to be playing on a laptop in the same room as guests are eating, the carpets are worn and manky, only one member of staff has a pleasant air, the rest could not care.
This was once a lovely, cosy, friendly place, no longer, avoid at all costs.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank Verydissapointed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gairloch
Gairloch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Torridon
Aultbea Hotel
Aultbea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Aultbea

Been to The Old Inn? Share your experiences!