“Good dog friendly hotel”
Review of The Old Inn

The Old Inn
Ranked #6 of 17 Gairloch B&B and Inns
Arbroath, United Kingdom
“Good dog friendly hotel”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights with our two dogs. The staff are very friendly, and accommodating. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they lit the fire to help dry off the dogs, provided water for the dogs on request and were not phased in any way by two damp Spaniels or their two damp owners (weather was very rainy!)
The room was clean and comfy enough and the bathroom was spotless. The breakfasts were variable. However, the staff were willing to try to accommodate our requests, like individual pots of tea rather than the horrible flask tea.
We hope to return :)

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

+ Excellant wifi signal best of any hotel so far.Location first class.Native staff very good
- Overseas staff some not to good at understanding - make sure your meal orders are clear.
One morning bowl of rotting fruit on buffet !
First nights meal slightly spoilt by eating off a table about 2" square.
Quite a lot of seating in eating areas and bar consists of what I can only describe as church pews and is the most uncomfortable seating I have ever sat upon anywhere at all.
Having said all that the staff are pleasant and helpful the food and beer good the general ambience good.
I would go again and hope for a decent seat and bigger table.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed June 21, 2013

From the moment we started to organize our 'wilderness treks' in the remote hills of Letterewe and Fisherfield Forest, Basic Dreams Travel has allways chosen The Old Inn or her 'sister accomodation'; the Gairloch Highland Lodge as the starting point and final destination of our ten day hiking/fishing trips. Authentic atmosphere, great food and Alastair and his crew will make you feel right at home in the far north-west of Scotland. Highly recommended...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Largs, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Old Inn recently on a tour of the highlands. We booked a room at the nearby lodge, (owned by The Old Inn), and crucially,dinner, eight weeks before we arrived. On arrival the young lady at reception was very pleasant and helpful. She asked if we wanted dinner at The Old Inn that night and we told her we had previously booked. She said said she would phone and confirm while we were getting settled in. On returning to reception she said,and I have no reason to doubt her, that our reservation was confirmed for seven o'clock. At seven o'clock we duly went along for our meal. The waitress didn't speak very good english and seemed to be having difficulty understanding us. At that point we were joined by a gentleman whom I assume was the head waiter. He said he could 'fit us in' the restaurant at half past eight as there was no record of us having booked. when we said we booked eight weeks ago he said that would explain it as no booking would be taken as far in advance! Even 'though it had been confirmed by the receptionist we gave up at this point and were given a table in the bistro. I should say the room was fine and the food reasonable but I'm afraid this has put us off ever returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank john c

Travelers are raving about these Gairloch hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were given a very warm welcome, in fact virtually all the staff were very helpful indeed. Our room was pleasant and spacious enough but could have been more effectively furnished; the wardrobe could have been taller allowing for full hanging. The inn was let down by the quality of the evening meal. We both ordered sole with buttered potatoes and peas. The sole was good but came with salad and no butter on the potatoes. The latter were awful, tasteless and "powdery". Needless to say for the next 2 nights we ate elsewhere. There are at least 2 very good restaurants in Gairloch. Breakfasts were good. Cooked breakfasts were delivered very quickly, sometimes before you had finished the cereal. Some guests experienced being in another room for breakfast when the inn was busy but had to come through into the main room to select fruit juice, cereal etc. The hot water used to make tea at breakfast was from an urn, not the best but a waitress was very quick to bring my own pot - and she remembered for the next day. Very impressed.

Room Tip: one not near the kitchen or overlooking the car park
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Travelling alone on holiday, The Old Inn was booked merely on chance. I was not disappointed . The initial impression was of a warm comfortable establishment which remained throughout my stay. All the staff were friendly and helpful, for example I couldn't get my somewhat old fashioned TV to work, but no trouble, a member of staff put down what he was doing and fixed it. Problems with the shower, of my making, again no problem. My room, which was spotless and comfortable was like a mini suite, all for a solo guest. A great choice of excellent food in the bar and restaurant, and a top three rating for their breakfast. All in all a place to recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kyle of Lochalsh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was travelling alone on business. I was given a nicely appointed room, with an en-suite bath as requested. The welcome and concern shown by the receptionist was good. The room was comfortable, but there were a few problems. There were no drinking glasses in the bedroom, and the TV was very old, with the digital receiving box precariously perched on the top and I could not get it to work. Somebody came to asssit me, and by switching it on and off, and shaking things it eventually worked. There was a lot of interference with the TV, and the whole set up did not look very safe at all. No face flannel was provided and also no floor mat for the bathroom. There was no plug for the wash basin, but I am sure that this would have been replaced, once I had mentioned it. Breakfast was of a good quality, but I was disappointed that no fish was offered on the menu. Two of the serving staff had very little English when serving guests which was a disadvantage. But overall, a nice hotel, and I would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank M G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gairloch
Gairloch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Torridon
Kinlochewe Hotel
Kinlochewe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kinlochewe

Been to The Old Inn? Share your experiences!