“Not as good as it used to be”

Mountain Coffee company
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Gairloch
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This cafe is recommended by Lonely Planet and could be fantastic. The view is good, The food looked good and some tasted good. I ma prompted ot review becase the service was very bad. The women in charge who I believe is the owner was one fo the grumpier people we met on a 5month tour of Europe. She was loudly critical of and to the young man working there, she was unwelcoming and ignored much of what we said to her. The coffee was ok but made with reluctance and an offhand attitude. We felt as if we were intruding in her space and a real nuisance -- at 11 am !!. We had driven out of the way to get to a place which we felt would be special place for a coffee. It was but in all the wrong ways. We are New Zealanders who do not normally complain but this place was worth complaining about.
Reviewed June 7, 2018

I'm not sure if this place has changed hands or not, but the last couple of times I've visited (this morning, and last year) I've left a bit disappointed.
I've been visiting for many many years... since it first opened, I believe... and used to make a twice-yearly (or more often) pilgrimage on the 2/3 hour journey for the coffee, the cakes, the vibe.
So it still plays great music and has some wonderful and unusual books but with many other decent independent coffee shops opening up these days, the cafe part of it is not so unusual anymore.
Today I was a bit disappointed: Firstly, the lovely, sunny conservatory part (one of the biggest attractions) was closed off, because the weather is 'too hot'! It was fairly cool today and I would have loved to soak up some morning rays with my coffee.
The lady behind the counter was a little abrupt; yeah, I know, we are seeing a LOT of tourists these days but hey, it's only June. And the coffee was very weak.
Additionally, despite having a whole host of vegan cookbooks in the bookshop, and having once been a place I associated with a vegan-type lifestyle, not one item of baking was even dairy-free, let alone vegan although I did spot a gluten-free option.
Back in the day, this was such a unique and inspiring place, full of buzz... I just feel it's lost a bit of its sparkle.

Reviewed June 2, 2018 via mobile

They have one person working behind the counter and she does one drink at a time very slowly. So if there's only one or two people in front of you, you will still expect to wait for a while. That being said the coffee was fantastic and I'm a bit of a coffee snob. I'm very surprised by the review that said it was over praised as I have spent the exact same amount throughout Scotland for an identical drink.

Reviewed May 31, 2018 via mobile

It’s a place that cares about coffee and cares about books. Delicious coffee (London prices, better than London coffee), and a very interesting bookshop with a surprisingly strong range of political books with a lefty slant, lots of fiction, travel, and the seemingly obligatory new age bollocks in places like this - easily overlooked, and some very good purchases made. Recommended.

Reviewed May 30, 2018

We visited here on a very hot day and found it was a great place to relax . The cakes are all homemade and very good but on the coffee front I found that my coffee to be weak I had an americano which is usually to my taste most places .

Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

There’s just something about this place we love. It has a wonderful informal atmosphere, great coffee obviously (and other drinks). So many naughty cakes and tarts to choose from.

Little nicknacks around to buy and a bookshop attached with wide choice to buy from. Makes a really nice welcoming stop on your journey.