“Random but welcome”

Mountain Coffee company
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Gairloch
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This cafe is recommended by Lonely Planet and could be fantastic. The view is good, The food looked good and some tasted good. I ma prompted ot review becase the service was very bad. The women in charge who I believe is the owner was one fo the grumpier people we met on a 5month tour of Europe. She was loudly critical of and to the young man working there, she was unwelcoming and ignored much of what we said to her. The coffee was ok but made with reluctance and an offhand attitude. We felt as if we were intruding in her space and a real nuisance -- at 11 am !!. We had driven out of the way to get to a place which we felt would be special place for a coffee. It was but in all the wrong ways. We are New Zealanders who do not normally complain but this place was worth complaining about.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The last thing you expect is a quasi-American trading outpost/coffee shop packed to the brims with random nik naks. Attached to this is a book shop. A suitable destination should the weather quickly change. Service is ok if a little chaotic and pricing is a little more expensive than normal;this is the outer regions of Scotland so choice is limited and costs reflect this.

One thing that is a little disappointing. With the rich heritage Scotland has to offer you feel that something more traditional could have been managed. Faux American in one of the most beautiful places in Britain just seems a bit odd; New York bagels anyone???

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Given that the West Coast of Scotland is generally thought of as being fairly traditional, this place is quite bonkers. The decor/furnishing is an eclectic mix to say the least. The food can never be described as dainty but the meal sized cheese scones are to be seen to be believed. I had a cup of the Macchu Picchu coffee (July coffee of the month and it was grand. The views out over the bay are stunning from the rear terrace. So, not beautiful or dainty but great fun.

1  Thank Shelagh G
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Avoid! Expensive, highly unwelcoming cafe. Very un family-friendly.
This is the 3rd or 4th chance we've given this cafe over the last few years, and once in January with only us as the unwelcome guests! Each time hoping we were unlucky. It wins hands down for the rudest proprietor ever; she is a miserable woman who clearly finds customers a major irritation and looks like she'd rather be anywhere else. I'm relieved to read other reviews that it's not just us! I must add the girl at the till was friendly enough.
It seems such a tragedy having that cafe with that owner in such an amazing position. We come on holiday fairly regularly to Wester Ross and I've been visiting since I was very small and actually remember this cafe opening. It was a rare jewel then and the conservatory a real treat.
This time with 2 small preschool children who needed lunch quickly with small child melt down imminent (!) as we were later than planned. Against my better judgement i gave this place another chance. The owner passed us on our way in and actually scowled at us! We should have gone there and then and been £23 better off.
It was busy but a few low comfy looking seats were free near the door. Unfortunately the conservatory was shut even though it was quite a nice day. I found out it was because the combination of the kitchen and sun make it too hot. What a shame.
Anyway we then moved outside as the atmosphere didn't feel too great inside and there wasn't really enough space for the pushchair - and too many artefacts for the kids to touch. There were no highchairs which was a bit tricky.

The menu was very limited to soup or bagels (difficult for small children as quite chewy things). The cappucino was good. The leek and potato soup is a good portion and i did like it, despite another reviewers dislike. Perhaps it was a good day! I actually complimented the soup to the owner as she passed by thinking maybe I'd give her another chance and she looked at me and totally ignored me and I definitely said it loud enough; so rude!
The one cheese, ham and tomato bagel (to share) between our 2 and 4 yr old was disappointing. They held off the mustard for us but the ham and cheese were a bit plasticy and uninspiring. The tomato slices were on the side. It headed off the hunger a bit but both my kids struggled with the bagel. So 2 x soups 1 x bagel 2 x cappuccinos and 2 apple juices it was £23. Ouch!
My wishlist: a new owner please, as this place has so much amazing potential, ventilation in the conservatory so that breathtaking view can be enjoyed all weathers. And although I used to like the interesting, quirky interior years and years ago, now its just become too cluttered at the expense of seats. And please can we sideline the celebration of worldwide scenery (beautiful as it is) and focus a bit more on the magnificent Scottish mountains right outside your door!

Try instead the Bridge Cafe in Poolewe for a lovely welcome and food or the newly opened Gairloch Pantry on the Pier also really friendly.

4  Thank flowerpower054
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Left Sands Caravan Park early in the morning and the kids needed breakfast so stopped in here. The staff were very pleasant, a nice continental breakfast was put together and I enjoyed a chocolate cookie as well. Prices fine for what you get but the shop was an Aladdin's cave of books, postcards, posters gifts. Would go back in again for a quick tea and rummage.

1  Thank robinred0
Reviewed July 3, 2013

When you travel in the West of Scotland, it can be tiring. You then come across a shop selling wonderful coffee exactly as you would want it served. That is the Mountain Coffee shop in Gairloch. The coffee I had was made from Peruvian beans and was robust! If you have a scone, make sure you are hungry, it is the biggest cheese and herb scone I have eaten. Delicious. It is also a bookshop, great for browsing. Highly recommended.