“The good is outweighed by the downright awful......”

Mountain Coffee company
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Gairloch
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating
Description: This cafe is recommended by Lonely Planet and could be fantastic. The view is good, The food looked good and some tasted good. I ma prompted ot review becase the service was very bad. The women in charge who I believe is the owner was one fo the grumpier people we met on a 5month tour of Europe. She was loudly critical of and to the young man working there, she was unwelcoming and ignored much of what we said to her. The coffee was ok but made with reluctance and an offhand attitude. We felt as if we were intruding in her space and a real nuisance -- at 11 am !!. We had driven out of the way to get to a place which we felt would be special place for a coffee. It was but in all the wrong ways. We are New Zealanders who do not normally complain but this place was worth complaining about.
scotland
“The good is outweighed by the downright awful......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband andI visited the Mountain Cafe in 1992 and were delighted to discover that it was still operating in Januray 2013. It is a quirky wee cafe full of mountain memoribilia, but is is a little bit on the scruffy side. Your first glimpse of the other side of the cafe comes with the myriad of alarming sounding notices that litter the shop. Shoplifters will be killed and eaten!!

The best bit about the shop is the amazing cheese and herb scones, but at £2.69 each, they are pretty pricey! Mocha is £3.50 and a well below average small mug of latte, £2.69. Oh, and you can add 50p extra per drink if you want decaff.... Which is really quite a disgrace.

I normally don't let people's attitude sway me about eateries, but the owner? of Mountain Cafe is one of the most grumpy people I have had serving me! Bordering on pretty rude actually - and having read through the reviews, I know that I am not alone.

It is such a shame, as this was once a delightful place to visit and the grumpy woman, price and quality of the coffee really put us off going back. We frequented The Shieling this time instead.

• Visited January 2013
5 Thank anteallach

Matlock, United Kingdom
“Great Coffe & Wonderful Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is a fantastic coffee shop, with great atmosphere and friendly staff. The quality coffee is great and there is a huge selection of coffees and teas. Lots of delicious cakes and a huge variety of doorstep scones! Great books and gifts for sale too.

• Visited October 2012
“Coffee to aspire to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I've actually visited 3 times, always pleased and intrigued. Their coffee leaves you feeling impressed a whole 2 hours later when you are miles away, simply quality coffee. Now the tunes might have an urban vibe which leaves you wondering. Now I have Shazam I can have an automatic iTunes/ Amazon list and play them all. Next visit I'll check the food with my Jack Russell. My only wish is I could have an online supply of their Latte and music streamed to me in Hawaii.

Manchester
“Looking a little tired and jaded”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Good coffee but the whole place is looking scruffy and cluttered. Maybe a winter tidy up and thorough clean is in order"

Visited October 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Unhappy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great coffee, amazing massive cheese scone thing, all ruined by a miserable woman behind the counter. Maybe she had a bad day maybe she doesn't like bikers. Old saying, person without smile on face should not open shop.

Visited May 2012