“Looking a little tired and jaded”

Mountain Coffee company
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Gairloch
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This cafe is recommended by Lonely Planet and could be fantastic. The view is good, The food looked good and some tasted good. I ma prompted ot review becase the service was very bad. The women in charge who I believe is the owner was one fo the grumpier people we met on a 5month tour of Europe. She was loudly critical of and to the young man working there, she was unwelcoming and ignored much of what we said to her. The coffee was ok but made with reluctance and an offhand attitude. We felt as if we were intruding in her space and a real nuisance -- at 11 am !!. We had driven out of the way to get to a place which we felt would be special place for a coffee. It was but in all the wrong ways. We are New Zealanders who do not normally complain but this place was worth complaining about.
Manchester
“Looking a little tired and jaded”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Good coffee but the whole place is looking scruffy and cluttered. Maybe a winter tidy up and thorough clean is in order"

Visited October 2012

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Unhappy”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great coffee, amazing massive cheese scone thing, all ruined by a miserable woman behind the counter. Maybe she had a bad day maybe she doesn't like bikers. Old saying, person without smile on face should not open shop.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank roy p
falkirk
“Excellent service!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Don't know what dull and dour staff served here. They must have left! The young girl who served us couldn't,t have been more obliging. We sat outside as we had the ouppies with us. We had brilliant bagels with pesto and cream cheese. Lavish portion . My daughter had lovely soup and a cheese scone that would have fed 4 . One of my favourite places

• Visited October 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Quirky cafe and bookshop”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Huge selcetion of coffee, fabulous cake and scones on the shore at Gairloch. Brilliant bookshop attached with all sorts of interesting books and cards.

Visited September 2012
East Lothian
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hit and Miss (This time a hit...)”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Having visited the Mountain Coffee Company many, many times over the last 18 years or so, I have to agree with just about every review on TripAdvisor - just not all at the same time.

Two years ago when we visited it seemed that every time we were served by the same, sour-faced individual. The coffee and cake were great as usual, so it was no big deal. Am I going to let one misery guts ruin a whole experience? No.

This September, we visited the MCC three times over the space of a fortnight. Each time I was served by one of two very pleasant, very friendly young ladies, who genuinely appeared to be enjoying what they were doing. They were attentive, served me as quick as one can expect when you are getting your coffee made for you and engaged in some polite conversation at the counter. Very nice. Coffee was great as usual, cakes maybe not quite as good as past experiences, but certainly not the worst I have ever had. All in all though - pretty good and deserving of four stars.

The MCC isn't a high street coffee shop. Hallelujah for that. If it turned into a Costa I would stop going. Why? Because I go there because it isn't a Costa, Starbucks, Nero etc etc. Because it has its own quirky charm, from the settees to the wooden benches to the mismatched chairs and the walls adorned with memorabilia. Because it's different. And believe me, in today's world of multinationals and interchangeable high streets, different is good.

I like the MCC. I've liked it since the first time I visited in 1994, even with all its quirks and the sometimes iffy staff. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited September 2012