“The Shieling Restaurant”

The Shieling Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Gairloch
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Pleasant bar and restaurant serving breakfast , lunch and dinner . Lovely views over to the Isle of Skye. Average prices . Snack menu .Childrens menu.Coffee lounge. Outside seating for 30 people. Free wifi for customers. HOURS ARE : Monday through Saturday 10 till 4 pm SUNDAY CLOSED
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were almost the only diners there as it was pouring with rain. we had seen it at lunch time overflowing with diners and drinkers in the sun. However by evening things had changed and it was pouring. However, the view through the rain was wonderful and the food also. What better place to enjoy well prepared food than here with a view. The king prawns were prefect, and the lamb chops and salmon main courses were deliciously cooked. The Fudge ice-cream dessert was a dream and the coffee good.
recommend booking for evening meals in good weather!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Yet again another wonderful meal at the Sheiling. The food was excellent and the atmosphere to match. Staff were so friendly and helpful. Couldnt fault anything. I would certainly recommend the Sheiling to anyone visiting Gairloch. Look forward to returning next time we are up that way.

1  Thank Debs020608
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went to the restaurant without making a reservation and hoped for the best as the location is very nice. The first answer was, that all tables are booked. As we were very insistent, a table was offered to us one hour later. So we waited in the bar. Seven tables were empty the whole time, three couples were sent home without offering a later time. The funny thing is, while we were eating the same 6 tables were empty the whole time and nothing changed when we left the restaurant.
Additionaly, the service was unfriendly and unhelpfull. We were told to order very quickly, as we decided for the salmon, we were told it wasn't there without any helpfull recommendations. We weren't even asked for new drinks... Everything was very rushed. Things were put on the table without any explanation.

Don C, Owner at The Shieling Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

I wish people would mention at the time and ask to speak to the boss and things could be corrected and the staff envolved could give their side.We never have all the tables on at once as how could we cook for that many people . We have 15 tables and the staff are instructed not too take too many orders at once .I can assure you while you were in the lounge the staff were not standing doing nothing as we had 8 tables in . It is very hard work in a busy kitchen so the orders must be staggered . I do apologise for running out of salmon but there is quite a lot of other fish to choose from . Please advise me who served you as you were not happy with the lack of attention . The staff are told if anyone who has booked a table has to wait too long to offer them a free drink . Those who chance it on a busy night have to wait I'm afraid .We did 54 dinners last night and I know it was last night as it was the only night we ran out of salmon . Some people expect to walk in and get a window table immediately .I am genuinely upset you weren't happy at the Shieling so if your in the area please come in and see me or e mail me at donaldcrerar@hotmail.com .Donald.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Nothing to dislike, nice atmosphere. Fabulous view. Good food, good and quick service. I will definitely use again

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We walked into The Shieling on spec and asked for a table. We were told that there were none available, despite seeing empty tables everywhere. To make matters worse, we were dealt with in an offhand and inconsiderate manner. I believe the reason for our refusal was down to the fact that we had several children in our party. It was their loss: we went to the Old Inn and had a wonderful meal and spent a significant sum of money...

Don C, Owner at The Shieling Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

The evening you are referring to must have been Tuesday the 23rd July as that's the only night we turned over 20 people away between 6pm and 7 pm as we were fully booked till 8pm. There were probably several tables empty waiting for the people to arrive . It had nothing to do with your children . The staff were informing guests there would be tables after 8pm.We've had 100s of children through the doors over the last 2 weeks and have updated the kids menu to offer more choices as we're delighted to have families dine here. I hope some families who have eaten here read this and corroborate this. The girls who were working are very pleasant and I can't imagine them being rude . If your back in Gairloch then please book a table and I will be delighted to cater for you . Donald .