“Quick bite to eat on flying visit”

The Shieling Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Gairloch
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Pleasant bar and restaurant serving breakfast , lunch and dinner . Lovely views over to the Isle of Skye. Average prices . Snack menu .Childrens menu.Coffee lounge. Outside seating for 30 people. Free wifi for customers. HOURS ARE : Monday 10 till 4 pm Tuesday through Saturday 10 till 4 pm and 6 pm till 8 pm ( last orders) SUNDAY CLOSED
Coldstream, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quick bite to eat on flying visit”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Nothing to dislike, nice atmosphere. Fabulous view. Good food, good and quick service. I will definitely use again

Visited July 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Child Unfriendly”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We walked into The Shieling on spec and asked for a table. We were told that there were none available, despite seeing empty tables everywhere. To make matters worse, we were dealt with in an offhand and inconsiderate manner. I believe the reason for our refusal was down to the fact that we had several children in our party. It was their loss: we went to the Old Inn and had a wonderful meal and spent a significant sum of money...

• Visited August 2012
Don C, Owner at The Shieling Restaurant, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
The evening you are referring to must have been Tuesday the 23rd July as that's the only night we turned over 20 people away between 6pm and 7 pm as we were fully booked till 8pm. There were probably several tables empty waiting for the people to arrive . It had nothing to do with your children . The staff were informing guests there would be tables after 8pm.We've had 100s of children through the doors over the last 2 weeks and have updated the kids menu to offer more choices as we're delighted to have families dine here. I hope some families who have eaten here read this and corroborate this. The girls who were working are very pleasant and I can't imagine them being rude . If your back in Gairloch then please book a table and I will be delighted to cater for you . Donald .
Buntingford, United Kingdom
“Amazing Food”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Fantastic restaurant with beautiful views of loch Gariloch. There is a lovely area with big couches if you just want a drink. We ate breakfast there most mornings and enjoyed a lovely meal on my birthday. The food was freshly cooked and very well presented. The deserts are great too!!!!

Durham, United Kingdom
“Our best meal at this restaurant so far”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visit this restaurant every year as we love this part of Scotland and last year I gave it a good review but said we were restricted to a low fat diet so the menu here didn't have a large choice for us.

This year we found it hard to choose! My husband had the trio of smoked fish with a crisp salad and I had the crofters' pie which was a large cottage pie with haggis and topped with mash and neeps. It was all delicious. I only had room for icecream but they have a selection of lovely flavours here and my husband had a trifle which he was warned was large! It was but he demolished it.

Free Wi-Fi, a lovely, large, pleasant lounge and a beautiful setting set off the excellent food here. We will be back but it's a pity we don't live nearer or perhaps it's for the best or we would overeat!

Alnwick, United Kingdom
1,112 restaurant reviews
“Lovely atmosphere and delicious food”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We can appreciate why this place is highly recommended. It has a very pleasant atmosphere with its lounge area, bar and dining tables and the staff are exceedingly welcoming and friendly. Outdoor seating has superb views over the water of Gairloch. The menu is excellent and wide ranging with something for most tastes. I ordered a jacket potato with vegetables and it was one of the best meals of its kind I have had in the area - the potato was topped with a generous potion of stir fry fresh vegetables. My husband's sandwich was also 'interesting' and very fresh. The menu is good for vegetarians which makes a refreshing change in this area. All meals we saw being brought out looked excellent. We highly recommend this place. Note it is closed on Sundays.