“Very rude, not child friendly, will never go back.”

The Shieling Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Gairloch
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Pleasant bar and restaurant serving breakfast , lunch and dinner . Lovely views over to the Isle of Skye. Average prices . Snack menu .Childrens menu.Coffee lounge. Outside seating for 30 people. Free wifi for customers. HOURS ARE : Monday 10 till 4 pm Tuesday through Saturday 10 till 4 pm and 6 pm till 8 pm ( last orders) SUNDAY CLOSED
“Very rude, not child friendly, will never go back.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We didn't even get to close the door behind us when the man behind the counter rudely and aggressively started lecturing us on the 'rules' of taking children into his restaurant.
My Mum and I had intended to go in for coffee, juice and cake with my four children last week, but instead of being greeted with a 'Hello' or shown to a table, we were met with rude instructions barked to us about 'those children' only being allowed in the restaurant if they sat at a table without moving, behaved themselves and didn't run around. Now I agree that children shouldn't run around in a restaurant (and mine don't when we go to one), but to be spoken to so rudely before we even got to sit down, left me speechless! When I suggested that I couldn't understand his need to speak to us like that he told me 'you have obviously never worked in a restaurant before'. I informed him that I had indeed worked in several restaurants so therefore couldn't understand his attitude, his response was 'we can't understand parents that can't make their children sit still at a table and not misbehave'.
We suggested that we should probably just leave and he said 'yes do!', and grunted in agreement when I stated that I would tell people I knew with kids in Gairloch not to go there.
By the time we left a few minutes later (having only got as far as the restaurant door) I was left feeling insulted, shocked and upset - never in my whole time of going places with children have I been spoken to so rudely about what was expected of the kids, especially when we hadn't even got through the door to sit down!
Can I also point out that in the whole time this man was being so rude and aggressive to us, my children stood quietly beside us, not moving or running around, not misbehaving, yet he obviously hadn't taken the time to notice that before he began accusations about general kids' behaviour.
Such a shame as we have visited the Sheiling previously, it does have a nice location, but we certainly will never be returning there again.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank SMM2013
Don C, Owner at The Shieling Restaurant, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I only spoke a few words . Merely asking you to keep your children at the table. I don't think I was rude . You were indignant anyone would dare suggest the 4 excited children would not sit down . It's our experience they run around and parents say nothing . I did not intend to be rude so apologies if it came across that way .

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent service and food”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The food is excellent as is the service. The staff are friendly and helpfull. A very comfortable area if you just wand tea or coffee and a sandwich with wonderful views. Restaurant also clean and comfortable. Excellent all round.

Visited April 2013
Scotland
“Welcoming, friendly, efficient service and great food!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The title of our review says it all. One of the best meals we've had out in a long time. The chef is the owner and is obviously very keen to get everything right and he certainly did. Fresh flowers on the table, food was well cooked and piping hot when served. Waitress was very friendly but not overpowering. This place deserves to do well. Keep up the good work - you're doing a great job for Scottish tourism.

• Visited March 2013
Don C, Owner at The Shieling Restaurant, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your visit and thank you for your comments . We do try our best . Glad you found everything to your liking . See you again we hope . Donald.
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Two of us called in here last night a bit after 8pm when they stop serving meals during the winter but they took us anyway, so glad they did as the food was hot, tasty and great portion sizes too. Service was excellent, restaurant was busy - often a good sign anyway- we will definitely be back there. Two massive pieces of steak, enormous bowls of soup and local fish, divine, What more can you ask for?

• Visited March 2013
Many thanks for the review. Glad everything was ok for you and you enjoyed your meal . Hope you will call in again . Donald.
“Definitely go visit this place!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

During our stay in Gairloch we visited this restaurant for lunch and tea and we were not disappointed.
The restaurant has a varied menu and the portions are so big that you definitely get your moneys worth! The food is also very tasty! Try the black pudding and haggis starter as it is divine!
The service is prompt and the staff are friendly!
A bonus to this place is that it is one of the only places that is open when it is out of season, many of the other pubs were shut or had silly opening hours. Also there is free wifi which is great as signal isn't great Gairloch!

Don C, Owner at The Shieling Restaurant, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. Glad you enjoyed the food and services. Hope you will call in again . Donald.