“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nettlebed
derby
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We purchased a 2 night stay though Groupon and have to say we had a fantastic time. On the whole the hotel was absolutely lovely with great staff. We found the food excellent, both the breakfast and the evening meal, we both had the New York Strip and both sirloins were cooked exactly as ordered. Just a couple of minor issues: the lack of a full length mirror in the room and the cracking on the top of the toilet seat. However, that said it was a lovely stay in a lovely hotel in a stunning location.

Room Tip: Annex rooms are lovely
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed her for our anniversary weekend and I must say, it is the best hotel I have ever been to. The room (Olive 9) was stunning, beautiful roll top bath and very clean. It was a shame it was raining all weekend as there was a little courtyard bit just outside our room. Breakfast and dinner was delicious, best steak I've had in a long time. I also recommend the sticky toffee pudding. Unfortunately, the morning of check out, we were woken by the fire alarm going off three times. However, the staff were very apologetic and explained why, so we soon forgot about it. Can't recommend this hotel enough, a romantic setting and beautiful food. Don't listen to the other reviews about the noise! You can't hear a thing! Very impressed on all aspects.

Room Tip: Go for Olive!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had a two night stay as part of a Living Social deal to celebrate our first anniversary. Chosen because of the South African influenced menu as that was where we were married. We arrived early so had lunch while we waited for our room to be ready, it was delicious. On arriving in our room "Bourbon" no.5, we found a chilled bottle of superb champagne and a lovely room with a large roll top bath in it, a baroque style bed, which was very comfy, and a walk in shower room. Yes the room was facing the main road but we didn't have any problem sleeping at all.
The 3 course meal which came as part of the package allowed you to choose from the menu and we had the most delicious steaks! The staff were all very friendly and attentive and we chatted about South Africa.
Breakfast was good, fresh fruit and quality sausages and bacon.Would have been nice to have tea in a tea pot.
The maid forgot to do our room on our second day which was remedied when we mentioned it.
Only minor areas for improvement would be to have a full length/cheval mirror and better lighting above the basin mirror in the bedroom as it was difficult to get ready for a night out.
We had a lovely stay and food at a great price and really appreciated the style and decor of the whole place.

1 Thank TeamMV2013
Merseyside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on vouchers from Living Social We had chilled Mercier Champagne in our fabulous rooms on arrival with gorgeous flutes. We had Caramel a room in a purpose built block outside. Our daughter had Cocoa inside the main building. Both rooms were very large with big very comfy beds and lovely furnishings and amenities. We had a bathroom with a lovely bath and walk in shower all very clean Our daughter had a bath in her bedroom and a walk in shower in her bathroom. We had comfy armchairs/sofa in each room and a TV and all the required facilities. Good central heating and lots of very hot water. Tea/coffee/milk biscuits all replenished daily and toiletries too. Had a 3 course dinner included in our voucher with a superb choice of food available all delicious and beautifully cooked and presented. Chose to eat again on our second night in the restaurant but they had had a gas leak but coped admirably with a more limited menu. Staff very efficient and friendly. Just 4 miles outside of Henley and a lovely part of the country to explore. My only criticism is breakfast, serve pots of tea/coffee, none of this do it yourself stuff it lets you down and ensure side plates come with the toast Overall a fantastic stay and superb value for money would definitely return and recommend to others

Room Tip: All seemed lovely but we did have Superior rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carolyn M
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed at the White Hart earlier this week. My daughters bought me a two night stay as a treat for my 50th birthday. We arrived early Sunday afternoon and we were happy with the staff who greeted us and pleased with the room (Cocoa) we were given. The room was large, had an en-suite shower room and a large bath tub in the bedroom which was a nice feature. The hotel is situated in the small village of Nettlebed and is surrounded by beautiful countryside. The setting was idyllic for a relaxing peaceful break which is what we craved. The food, however, was awful. I work for an international firm and I travel extensively around the world. I am away at least 2 months of every year and have visited hotels in 4 continents. In all my travels, I have never been served worse food. On the first night my fillet of fish was full of bones and I couldn't eat while my wife ate her lamb cutlet and described it as edible. Our breakfast Monday morning was anything but edible. The sausage were not cooked, the eggs were not cooked and the bacon was like cardboard. It was appalling. Monday evening, we both ordered steaks. My wife went for a rump while I opted for the sirloin. The result was two more meals being returned virtually untouched. I ordered my steak without any sauce so when it arrived covered in what looked like gravy I complained. This was sickly sweet and totally overpowered the steak. I was told by the waiter this was NOT a sauce, it was a baste the chef applies when cooking. How arrogant is the chef that when I order my steak with no sauce, he knows better and applies the baste anyway! The manager was then summoned who told me the baste is applied to all steaks unless I specifically request it being left off. However, it does not tell you on the menu that all steaks are served in a basting sauce and so I had no ability to opt out unless I was psychic. The meal had been paid for on booking and so we had a couple of cokes to pay for. The manager discounted the cokes as we did not eat. The next morning we were very hungry but simply ordered toast. We then drove to Marlow to a restaurant where we could eat. Such a great shame. This is a nice hotel, in a rural location with pleasant and helpful staff and comfortable and warm rooms. If they had a decent chef, this would be a place I would recommend. However, after going hungry for two days, then having to pay elsewhere for meals, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Other guests told me the best rooms are in the annexe which is as per ate building in the car park...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HongKongTaffy
Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

This hotel wouldn't have been within our budget had it not been for the Groupon deal - we stayed 3 nights and found the accommodation and meals excellent. Pleased that we had researched the Trip Advisor reviews beforehand and asked for a quiet room in order to be away from the busy main road. Our room (8 - Caramel) was perfect and one of the best we have stayed in. We dined there for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed the food. The breakfast was also first class. The only issue we had was not being able to get a mobile phone signal within the hotel but we later found spots in the car park where it was OK.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

A Sunday night stay as part of a Groupon deal. Ended up being the night of St. Jude storm but the high winds and rain did not spoil the stay primarily due to a warm welcome, very good food and a really nice room with comfortable bed. The manager also set me up with wifi and the South African theme in restaurant was a bit different. The set menu did not stint on variety and both the ribs and steak were good choices. Cooked breakfast was fresh and hot. The groupon related price proved top quality value at little more than £45 per person db&b. First class.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nettlebed
#1 of 2 in Dorchester-on-Thames
De Vere Oxford Thames
The Catherine Wheel
The Catherine Wheel
#2 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!