“2 night Groupon Deal”

The White Hart Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nettlebed
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights after buying a Groupon Deal. We were in Room No 1, Mint. It was perfect for a short stay, very clean and comfortable. The staff, without exception, are very friendly and helpful. We had breakfast and dinner both days. The food was really delicious, freshly cooked, with an extensive choice of dinner. Breakfast was good too but I would have liked some fruit and yoghurt to be available. I would definitely return and hope others will try it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Liked the decor in hotel and staff friendly. Bedroom 5 at the front but no problem with room noise. Clean & pleasant room. Enjoyed meal in restaurant although couldn't get to grips with the line caught fish of the day being steak with scampi! Breakfast ok but no more. Prefer more choice and the breakfast "system" not explained so I was a little bemused when getting tea to be asked did I want eggs or just a plate. With a few little tweaks this place could be fab but would still love to pay it another visit

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here on business in May, 2013 for one night. I've stayed in the past but hadn't visited in quite a few years as I'd felt that it had gone down hill a little over time.

However, I was pleasantly surprised when I revisited. The pub seems to have had a bit of a make-over and has been turned into a pub/restaurant and the hotel has been extended into a new building.

That building was where my room was located. It's a bit of a maze to get from the bar to the rooms in that building but the room itself was really well appointed with nice furnishings and a great bathroom. Much better than I remembered it the last time I visited.

I ate in the pub where both the service and the food were pretty good - nice and relaxed with decent food at reasonable prices.

I didn't eat breakfast there the next day as I had to leave too early but I had a quick glance round and it all looked good to me.

All in all I'd say this is a great little place for an overnight stop on a business trip or similar and makes a nice change from a corporate chain or similar.

My only "complaint" was that my room was right onto the high street and even though it's a 30-mile-an-hour speed zone it did seem that late at night some drivers fly through the village at speed which meant that you could get your sleep disturbed.

There's not a lot the hotel can do about this though so I don't feel it's really a detraction and I imagine it doesn't happen every single night - I was perhaps just a bit unlucky there.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the ones on the main road at the front.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed for one night on a business trip and stayed in Room 17, Spearmint. Lovely room, position and character. Spotlessly clean. Great meal over in the pub, lovely selection of real ales. Breakfast was delicious. Overall, very picturesque.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Very pretty, in a Henley kind of way, just having juggernauts rushing about two metres from your head at 3 am doesn't really make for a good night sleep...

Went to breakfast - mentioned the noise and the damp patch on the ceiling in the bathroom which had appeared overnight - she was lovely - in a ditzy gap year kind of way - and her response was "who would have known people are up that early" - says it all..

All a bit fur coat and no knickers really... I wanted it like it but it is just not possible - avoid unless you are brave or in possession of very good ear plugs or like a sleep challenge...

Room Tip: Avoid front rooms unless you are brave, or in possession of very good ear plugs or up for a challeng...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 21, 2013

So, my girlfriend thought it would be nice to get one of those Groupon offers and whisk me away for dinner and a bed at the White Hart in Nettlebed. And, for the most part, it was indeed lovely. I'm not sure if it was the company or the hotel that made it for me, but I suspect it was not so much the hotel.

When we were shown to our room, I was surprised to find it was less than a metre from the main road. Arriving during rush hour alerted us to this quite quickly (despite the old-style shutters), and as we planned to lie in the next morning, a swift room change was requested (not before I had banged my head on the somewhat vicious bathroom door frame). I was told the place was full, but as I had spied some booking forms of people who has not yet arrived, I convinced the manager (?) to make a crafty swap around of room reservations to one back from the road in a different building. My apologies go to the unlucky inhabitant of the original room...

Sadly, like the the first room, the new room did not have double glazing and, despite being a little way away from the road, the noise in the morning was still enough to wake us both. I am a light sleeper, but my other half could happily sleep through a John Bonham solo, so I fear this is not the place to go for a long sleep. As it turned out, if the road noise hadn't have got us, the bin men's banging and shouting would have done anyway, so it was a lose lose situ for us.

The room however was perfectly decent. Comfyish bed, good bathroom and a TV with all the appropriate channels. Nothing to complain about here. The decor was pleasant too - I understand each room is different, but the two we saw were good.

The dinner then. This was part of our deal, and as such was good value. I wouldn't have fancied paying more for it though, as although it was tasty and well presented, it was kind of obvious and fairly unexciting at the same time. Nothing challenging or daring was to be found on what was otherwise a fairly extensive menu. The comedy waiter was a highlight, with his Frank Bruno-esq grasp of conversation, a slim understanding of the menu and no apparent knowledge of the specials board. The breakfast was very limited with only a few items which, although tasty, were not amazing. An added surprise bonus was the remnants of our dinner the night before still left on the windowsill next to us. When I left them there the previous evening, I hadn't expected to see them again, but it was fun revisiting the previous evening's entertainment. The poor waiter who, having had only one item to deal with on our dinner bill still managed to get the total wrong, also seemed incapable of asking chef to place a piece of toast underneath my eggs - when I asked for eggs on toast I was informed that they only came separately. Perhaps I am doing him a disservice and in fact chef's talents were limited to toasting bread and frying eggs, not combining the two processes. Whichever was the case, it was not a huge chore for me to ease up the eggs and slip a slice underneath them, but one wonders how much they are taught about customer service that I should have to do so. One further note on the toast (and our hapless waiter) was that we asked for brown only, and received mixed. Again, no big deal, but, you know, it all adds up.

If you've ever read another of my reviews you'll know I have a pet hate about hotels charging for internet. It's less and less of an issue now people have iPhones and whatnot, but still, it bugs me. And they do charge. I've come across much steeper charges than theirs, but it annoys me nonetheless.

I have kind of mixed feeling about this place. I enjoyed myself, but it was mostly because of who I was with and for the continuing comedy of errors that we were presented with. I would have liked to sleep longer than the noise allowed me, but the room was nice enough. Would I go back? Actually, maybe I would. But only because it is close enough to home for a cheeky night away and if there was another offer on and if the morning of our stay was not a weekday. Would I go there for dinner again? Well, I might, yes. The food was OK. It wasn't amazing but nor are the prices ridiculous. It's better than going to a run of the mill Zizzi or whatever, or at least it's different than going to one. Would I go out of my way to go there, or go if somewhere else similarly local presented itself? No, I wouldn't. Would I recommend it to friends? Erm, I don't think I would.

To be fair to them, it was mentioned that double glazing was planned, but no mention of when, or for how many rooms. If you go there anytime soon, I'd ask the question...

Room Tip: I'm not sure which one would be quietest. But 'Cinnamon' certainly isn't.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sukicat5000
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Have stayed in the White Hart last week for my partner birthday and we had a great time. We were accommodated in Superior double and the room was clean with great design and with the beautiful bath righ opposite the bed which was something unusual but gave the room something special.
We had delicious 3 course meal flashed down with South African wine and filling breakfast next day. Staff was very helpful and friendly recommending trips we can do around Henley.
Would definitely go back and we are thinking to book over Christmas time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nettlebed
The Cherry Tree Inn
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Remont Oxford Hotel
Remont Oxford Hotel
#3 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!