“Lovely Stop Over”

The White Hart Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nettlebed
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed for one night on a business trip and stayed in Room 17, Spearmint. Lovely room, position and character. Spotlessly clean. Great meal over in the pub, lovely selection of real ales. Breakfast was delicious. Overall, very picturesque.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Very pretty, in a Henley kind of way, just having juggernauts rushing about two metres from your head at 3 am doesn't really make for a good night sleep...

Went to breakfast - mentioned the noise and the damp patch on the ceiling in the bathroom which had appeared overnight - she was lovely - in a ditzy gap year kind of way - and her response was "who would have known people are up that early" - says it all..

All a bit fur coat and no knickers really... I wanted it like it but it is just not possible - avoid unless you are brave or in possession of very good ear plugs or like a sleep challenge...

Room Tip: Avoid front rooms unless you are brave, or in possession of very good ear plugs or up for a challeng...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 21, 2013

So, my girlfriend thought it would be nice to get one of those Groupon offers and whisk me away for dinner and a bed at the White Hart in Nettlebed. And, for the most part, it was indeed lovely. I'm not sure if it was the company or the hotel that made it for me, but I suspect it was not so much the hotel.

When we were shown to our room, I was surprised to find it was less than a metre from the main road. Arriving during rush hour alerted us to this quite quickly (despite the old-style shutters), and as we planned to lie in the next morning, a swift room change was requested (not before I had banged my head on the somewhat vicious bathroom door frame). I was told the place was full, but as I had spied some booking forms of people who has not yet arrived, I convinced the manager (?) to make a crafty swap around of room reservations to one back from the road in a different building. My apologies go to the unlucky inhabitant of the original room...

Sadly, like the the first room, the new room did not have double glazing and, despite being a little way away from the road, the noise in the morning was still enough to wake us both. I am a light sleeper, but my other half could happily sleep through a John Bonham solo, so I fear this is not the place to go for a long sleep. As it turned out, if the road noise hadn't have got us, the bin men's banging and shouting would have done anyway, so it was a lose lose situ for us.

The room however was perfectly decent. Comfyish bed, good bathroom and a TV with all the appropriate channels. Nothing to complain about here. The decor was pleasant too - I understand each room is different, but the two we saw were good.

The dinner then. This was part of our deal, and as such was good value. I wouldn't have fancied paying more for it though, as although it was tasty and well presented, it was kind of obvious and fairly unexciting at the same time. Nothing challenging or daring was to be found on what was otherwise a fairly extensive menu. The comedy waiter was a highlight, with his Frank Bruno-esq grasp of conversation, a slim understanding of the menu and no apparent knowledge of the specials board. The breakfast was very limited with only a few items which, although tasty, were not amazing. An added surprise bonus was the remnants of our dinner the night before still left on the windowsill next to us. When I left them there the previous evening, I hadn't expected to see them again, but it was fun revisiting the previous evening's entertainment. The poor waiter who, having had only one item to deal with on our dinner bill still managed to get the total wrong, also seemed incapable of asking chef to place a piece of toast underneath my eggs - when I asked for eggs on toast I was informed that they only came separately. Perhaps I am doing him a disservice and in fact chef's talents were limited to toasting bread and frying eggs, not combining the two processes. Whichever was the case, it was not a huge chore for me to ease up the eggs and slip a slice underneath them, but one wonders how much they are taught about customer service that I should have to do so. One further note on the toast (and our hapless waiter) was that we asked for brown only, and received mixed. Again, no big deal, but, you know, it all adds up.

If you've ever read another of my reviews you'll know I have a pet hate about hotels charging for internet. It's less and less of an issue now people have iPhones and whatnot, but still, it bugs me. And they do charge. I've come across much steeper charges than theirs, but it annoys me nonetheless.

I have kind of mixed feeling about this place. I enjoyed myself, but it was mostly because of who I was with and for the continuing comedy of errors that we were presented with. I would have liked to sleep longer than the noise allowed me, but the room was nice enough. Would I go back? Actually, maybe I would. But only because it is close enough to home for a cheeky night away and if there was another offer on and if the morning of our stay was not a weekday. Would I go there for dinner again? Well, I might, yes. The food was OK. It wasn't amazing but nor are the prices ridiculous. It's better than going to a run of the mill Zizzi or whatever, or at least it's different than going to one. Would I go out of my way to go there, or go if somewhere else similarly local presented itself? No, I wouldn't. Would I recommend it to friends? Erm, I don't think I would.

To be fair to them, it was mentioned that double glazing was planned, but no mention of when, or for how many rooms. If you go there anytime soon, I'd ask the question...

Room Tip: I'm not sure which one would be quietest. But 'Cinnamon' certainly isn't.
1  Thank Sukicat5000
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Have stayed in the White Hart last week for my partner birthday and we had a great time. We were accommodated in Superior double and the room was clean with great design and with the beautiful bath righ opposite the bed which was something unusual but gave the room something special.
We had delicious 3 course meal flashed down with South African wine and filling breakfast next day. Staff was very helpful and friendly recommending trips we can do around Henley.
Would definitely go back and we are thinking to book over Christmas time.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed two nights at what could be a really good venue. Firstly if you want a good nights sleep avoid room seven 'cocoa' at all costs the room over looks the main road and is very noisy from 4am onwards. Room was nice clean and quirky, the shower was not very effective needed more power. The water system appears to be pumped and the pump recharged about every four minures not a problem during the day but at night along with road noise becomes tiresome.
Resturant meal was nice and service average just needs that extra something to be really good. Breakfast was reasonable we ordered poached eggs on toast eggs arrived on plate toast 5 minutes later again fine tuning. Patio was scruffy a bit of building work going on just needs tidying up.
Go on guys just get hold of the little things and it will be a really great place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7 called COCOA if you want a peaceful nights sleep unless you are use to road noise from...
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Location ( unless you happen to have a room on the front-next to the road - and buildings are fine.
Room comfortable and well-presented.
Two drawbacks:
What could be a pleasant patio area needs tidying-up and the furniture needs cleaning..and service in the restaurant is amateur.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

What an excellent hotel: a fourteenth century building with twenty first century rooms and fittings and set in beautiful countryside. The room was on the first (top) floor and had a very high ceiling giving a very spacious and airy feel. The bathroom was new and well appointed though the shower could have been more powerful. The hotel and restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was excellent and all at a very decent price. I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nettlebed
2 mi away
#2 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Remont Oxford Hotel
Remont Oxford Hotel
#4 of 45 in Oxford

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!