Review Highlights
This is the White Horse to visit - it is ancient and beautiful

Any season, any weather, this place never ceases to amaze. Take picnics, dogs, kites, whatever... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
paulcooper555
Swindon, United Kingdom
Best white horse

Bagged this one when we visited the adjacent fort. Carpark is either off mainroad or closer if your... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
drenw2016
via mobile

All reviews an ice cream van bronze age national trust iron age st george highest point uffington castle surrounding countryside from afar amazing sight worth the effort lovely walk sunny day the main car park hill fort long barrow chalk
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that if you're expecting a full blown tourist attraction with full facilities a café or any of that kind of stuff, don't bother coming here, it is beautiful especially without the masses of people, and as much an intriguing fort as the horse. The whole complex is intriguingly fascinating though I wouldn't recommend it on a hot day (Which is rare in England, so don't worry!)

2  Thank Max S
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Badly signposted from the village of Wantage, the drive up to the hill on a one track narrow road was daunting. I needed the toilet after the climb up to the first of two carparks. It was so steep but thankfully no cars were coming down the road. There are no toilets here and no facilities-the nearest toilet can be found at the Fox and Hounds pub in the village. The car park is free, but beware that due to the long absence of the car owners walking the high chalk downlands and admiring the views, car thieves operate here. The internationally renowned Bronze Age Uffington horse is positioned high on an ancient chalk ridge, easily accessed and signposted along an ancient ridgeway path. Ensure that you walk three times around the eye of the horse and make a wish, it is also a fertility symbol. I enjoyed the walk and sat eating my picnic in the fields overlooking the outline of the castle with my dog. I felt a small teashop, toilet and giftshop were real basics that were missing here. I really wanted to buy a momento such as a key ring and fridge magnet of the white horse in the hill, but there was no facilities. The NT have stated that they have no desire to put in such facilities as they want it to remain a true heritage site. I would have spent longer here if the basic facilities were available.

There are different elements to see on your visit. The Manger, a dramatic dry valley has steep rippled sides left from the retreating permafrost during the last Ice Age. These ripples are known as the Giant's Steps.

To the east of the Manger lies Dragon Hill, a small roundish hill with a flattened top. It is said to be the site where St. George, England's patron saint, slew the dragon. The blood poisoned the ground and left a white chalk scar for all to see.

Crowning White Horse Hill is an Iron Age hillfort known as Uffington Castle. A simple design of one rampart and ditch, the castle at 860 feet (262m) above sea level forms the highest point in Oxfordshire, with views for miles around over six counties. The walk up to the castle mounds can be steep and there are sheep everywhere, dogs must be on a lead at all times.

Across the property Burial Mounds can be spotted. These date from the Neolithic period and have been reused up to the Saxon age. The largest contained 47 skeletons and this can be seen as you walk up to the Horse from the car park, if you look carefully.The Horse is best viewed from the air. However, good views can be had looking towards the Hill just after leaving Uffington village on the road to Longcot. I was able to take some great photos. In conclusion, I would come here again but perhaps equipped with more ridge walking gear-walking poles and walking boots. I would like to venture further up the ridges. The only downside was the lack of toilets and the very, very steep drive up to the first carpark. I researched my visit beforehand and discovered some interesting programmes on utube on the theories of the white horse and how it came about. It made the visit more interesting and I was able to answer some tourist questions about the mound where the dragon was believed to have been slaughtered and the bare patches on the downlands which are thought to be where the dragon's blood lay. These mythical theories added a sparkle to my daily dog hiking around the county. I enjoyed my pub lunch and Koda, my dog enjoyed his hike up the hills.

2  Thank Denise S
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Large car park with no amenities. You with think they could put a toilet at this tourist attraction in the middle of nowehere !! Picnic area with no bins !!

3  Thank Lexington69
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We put White Horse Hill on our vacation itinerary and got lucky with good weather. Our GPS must have taken us a roundabout way because there were no signs. A few days later while on our way to Oxford we saw plenty of signs. There is a car park and an ice cream vendor in the parking lot. Because of confusing signs, we thought it was a police sting. There were lots of children playing, kicking soccer balls and flying kites. We were mesmerized by the vista. And knowing that we were on ancient ground gave us a feeling of respect. Sheep were everywhere and we tried to take some photos and to watch where we stepped. The sheep master drove nearby to feed the sheep, and we were hugely entertained by the sheep and their thundering herd following the truck. After a couple of hours on the hill, we went to the White Horse pub in the nearby city and had some beer and snacks. It was quite a pleasant day that felt authentic and not touristy even though we acted like total tourists especially about those sheep photos.

1  Thank Shelly1710
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The easy and non muddy walk, the views and the weather when we visited. The historical interest and the white horse itself.