“Let the ingredients do the talking!”
Review of Beaches Restaurant

Beaches Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 13 Restaurants in Alnmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Christ Church Parish, Barbados
“Let the ingredients do the talking!”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife and I decided to give Beaches a try last night during a damp holiday in Northumberland.
We were not disappointed at all!
We both had the lobster and crab bisque as a starter, a powerful plate full of flavour.
I decided on the lobster "plucked from Amble bay" at £24.95.as my main course. It was worth every penny and would certainly have cost at least twice that in Birmingham or London.
Simply presented with lemon wedges ,mayo dip and new potatoes it was an example of good fresh ingredients not needing fancy sauces.
My wife had the Pollock, a fish new to her. Again simply presented with new potatoes and seasonal veg. She pronounced it excellent.
My cheese selection and the meringues for her rounded off a superb eating experience and I would recommend Beaches without reservation.
John and Janette

• Visited July 2012

Cupar, United Kingdom
“The whole plaice to myself”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Alnmouth is not short of eating places, some better than others but when we visit over a weekend we book a table at the Beaches.
Reserve in advance as Donald and Susan are not open every evening and tables usually go quickly.

Other than by way of endorsement I can't really add anything to the existing reviews of this small, part time restaurant which supplements their B&B.

It's informal, the atmosphere friendly and Susan's efforts in the kitchen are well supported by Donald who does an excellent front of house job.

Eating has developed from the original limited choice fixed price menu of three courses to a rather bolder range now displayed on a specials board.

Craster kipper pate or home marinated herrings accompanied by good quality breads are hall mark starters. Local lamb sometimes features as a main but fish is always there and there's always that pleasant dilemma of not being able to decide what to have because everything attacts. It's often a case of tasting a bit of your dinner partner's choice and certainly spotting what others around you are eating. Not difficult in this compact dining room with covers for around 20 diners. it's one sitting too taking off at around 7.00pm.

On our last visit my wife had the hake. I opted for the whole grilled plaice which was marked on the board as not being for the faint hearted.

Accompanied by seasonal vegetables and plain boiled potatoes this was an extremely satisfying meal. Clean plates both! I finished off my plaice leaving the rather iconic skeletal remains reminiscent of a cartoon tom cat's dinner plate!

The vegetables were al dente which is how I like them if a little firm for my wife's taste.

Left without space for pudding we regretfully had to depart the table without having had the famous chocolate pot or merringue and strawberries or even a selection of local Northumbrian cheese - a sad goodbye you might say without a taste of Redesdales ewes milk cheese.

As others have said payment by cash or cheque and byob - corkage £2

• Visited June 2012
Staffordshire
“Quirky restaurant with superb local fish”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Quirky small place, set in a terraced cottage and is not licensed, so take your own wine/beer. The menu is not extensive but they specialise in locally caught fish. The service was excellent and the food was stunning, we both had Ling which neither of us had tried before and it was beautifully cooked as were the starters and puddings. A great and unusual place to eat and we would certainly return

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Staffsmartin
Cambs
“such a lovely place”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Really nice food, buzzy atmosphere. Chocloate pot, yum.

• Visited May 2012
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Funky little place!”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Simply cooked fresh fish with a very laid back atmosphere and very reasonably priced, don't forget your own wine and cash, no cards.

Visited May 2012