“A Very Enjoyable Experience”
Review of The Schooner Hotel

The Schooner Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Alnmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the Schooner Hotel as part of a group of our annual " Old Lags " reunion. I had read other reviews and was more that a little apprehensive of what we might encounter, some of the reviews were terrible. I am pleased to say that although the hotel was in the process of being updated,with all the red tape that work on a listed building entails not to mention the cost,our stay was most pleasant. The bad reports about the food did not reflect our experience. Our breakfast was magnificent and our evening meals matched that standard. The staff were most helpful in every aspect and were an example to others service should be. The "atmosphere" was welcoming in the hotel and the standard of cleanliness good bearing in mind the age of the hotel. Thus making our stay in the hotel very pleasant in every way , completely at odds to some of the very bad references. Well done "The Schooner."

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TCROldCOlwyn

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Schooner hotel for two nights. Although the room we where given (2) was clean with a very comfortable bed the strong smell of lemon bleach/room freshener was over bearing and had to have the window open most of the first day/night. Fab bathroom which was very modern with a great shower, the only problem with it was there was no extractor fan, so after a few showers could begin to get smelly and damp! The breakfasts were lovely and so was the waitress who did the service on both mornings was friendly and polite. With a little TLC in some areas this will be/would be a great hotel. Oh and thanks to Mat for finding a DVD player for us, that was greatly appreciated! Overall we would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I ran in the Great North Run yesterday so we decided to stay outside of Newcastle to avoid the craziness. We booked The Schooner Hotel after researching the local area and deciding we would also visit Alnwick Castle the day before. We drove into beautiful Alnmouth and were very excited! We got parking right outside the hotel. As we walked into the hotel, we had to step over what we later realised was one of the bar staff sat on the outside step having a cigarette, she did not acknowledge us! I was worried at that point. The bar area smelt heavily of chip fat. We were given our key and the receipt for £89 which we had paid online. The door to the room looked like it had been broken into a couple of times! The room was a box, it was extremely dated décor, there was dust everywhere; we were gutted! There was mould in the bathroom and the toilet roll holder contained an old roll! I went down to express my disappointment, the bar person went to get the manager; he never came! He just sent his staff member back offering us £20 of our money back! I felt very sorry for her. We went straight out, we tried to book a room at The Sun public house and the Red Lion; but all were full! We spoke to some of the locals regarding our disappointment, they said the hotel was 'an embarrassment' to the area. They said lots of people had come and gone and no one was really bothered about maintaining the upkeep of the hotel. The locals pointed out it is the only hotel in Alnmouth which is why they wanted a better place to showcase their beautiful village/town. I really hope someone does something about what could be a great hotel! We hope to return to Alnmouth, but will be booking The Sun or Red Lion in advance!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beklar
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Me and my Girlfriend stayed at the Schooner Hotel for 1 night over the August Bank Holiday weekend. The Hotel is a little dated but it is clean and comfortable and in a lovely location in Alnmouth. The staff were very friendly and helpful and were always there when needed. If this Hotel had a full refurbishment it would be amazing, being over 400 years old it is such a shame skimping on such a lovely building. We didn't see any paranormal activity but had a brilliant weekend! Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Rooms 28,29 & 30 are the haunted rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IanChan23
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at the Schooner for 3 nights at the start of our trip to the North & Scotland and used this as a base to explore the area.
As others have said, the hotel is a bit tired and the bar/conservatory areas could do with a good makeover.
However our (family) room on the top floor was comfortable although pretty basic and decor was a bit strange.
The staff were friendly and eager to help.
We ate in the hotel restaurant each night to save going anywhere else and the food was basic but quite adequate. I was dissapointed that the indian restaurant had closed down, but the bonus was that they still had Cobra beer on draught!
Breakfast was included and a full english was available and perfectly edible.
Overall, it was a good stay, but the hotel is expensive for what it is, although having said that, due to late booking there wan't much available.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JohnT-Hemel
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the Schooner. I have to say that the hotel is very dated and quite dirty in a lot of places. Rooms were not great, we stayed in room 30, poor decoration and furniture. It did have a great view though.
That said, the staff were great and the food was as good as pub food anywhere else but the portions were better than most Alnmouth itself is very nice and quiet. Plenty of places to walk and several bars and places to eat.
As for haunted, I am not a believer. However my wife and I went down in the cellar area and I went back later and took some pictures. There is nothing at all in the cellar but on each of the 3 pictures you can see 'something'. 2 seemed to show children and the 3rd a man. I'm sure it could be explained away but I took them, I don't believe, but the images are there non the less. It frightened the life out of my wife who has vowed never to return again.
If you do go make sure you visit Alnwick castle and gardens. Both magnificent and the castle is where they film the Harry potter movies. We had a great day out. It's about £26 per adult to visit both, or you can pay for just one if you like.

Room Tip: 28, 29 and 30 are all located on the top floor and the whole area is very eerie. These 3 rooms are l...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in a single room while visiting Alnmouth. The room was tidy and had all expected basic room features - tv, tea and coffee making facility, packets of digestives. The bed comfortable and bedding clean. But it didn't take close inspection to see that there's much room for improvement. The bathtub was broken, with a bit of tape holding a plastic edge together. The sash window was prone to slamming shut. On the first morning it took a good 15 minutes to get any hot water - no exaggeration. Thin walls meant I could hear every word of conversations in adjoining rooms, so earplugs are a must.

On the plus side, the breakfast was a treat. There were plenty of menu options and I particularly enjoyed the cheese omlette. Very tasty, and a portion size more than enough to keep you going until well-past lunchtime. The beer-garden was a lovely way to end a day spent hiking or on the beach. The staff were friendly and I observed the manager going out of his way to help to 2 elderly guests, insisting on carrying their bags up and down the stairs, to and from their car.

I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't much in the way of paranormal activity. I had hoped that, in one of Britain's Most Haunted Hotels, something spooky might happen. But, unless the ghost was that of a loud snorer in the next room, I missed out on anything otherworldly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alnmouth
The Hog's Head Inn
Doxford Hall Hotel
Doxford Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chathill
St Valery Boutique Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Schooner Hotel? Share your experiences!