“Very comfortable accommodation in unsurpassed...”
Puffin Cottage at Sunset
Living room with real fire place Double Bedroom (The 'Blue Room')
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Puffin Cottage at Sunset
Living room with real fire place
Double Bedroom (The 'Blue Room')
Double Bedroom (The 'Blue Room')
Twin bedroom (The 'Green Room')
Kitchen
Shower & WC
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Cathy2005
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable accommodation in unsurpassed location.”
Reviewed May 9, 2014 for a stay in May 2014
person found this review helpful

Puffin Cottage was everything we wished for. Well appointed and dog friendly. Nick, the owner, was very helpful and accommodating. Nothing was too much trouble. The amazingly beautiful beaches and coastline walks on the doorstep made it very special. We were spoiled for choice with the many castles and National Trust properties to visit and seeing seals and puffins on the boat trip from Seahouses was the icing on the cake. If you enjoy the outdoor life then we cannot recommend Puffin Cottage and the Northumberland coast highly enough.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Nothing
Traveling group: Friends
Friends getaway People with pets
Megandmol...
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay near the beach”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 for a stay in February 2014
person found this review helpful

We arrived on Saturday afternoon and had terrible trouble finding a space to park. There are double yellow lines outside the cottage, which you are warned about by the owner, but the surrounding streets were packed with parked cars. This is something to be aware of, as you may have to park away from the property as there is no secure parking available. Having previously spoke via phone with the owner, Nick, we were impressed to find a welcome card and a bottle of wine waiting for us. Very pleasant after a tedious car journey and the car parking stress. There are some beautiful walks in the surrounding area, and the cottage is across the road from the bay, which is very convenient for us dog owners!

The cottage is dog friendly, but the rear yard, although enclosed, is shared with other cottages - something to be aware of if your dogs are over friendly/nervous with strangers. I would imagine if others were entertaining in the summer in the same space, it could get quite busy. Northumberland Street on which the cottage is located, is very busy during the day (the bus stop is right outside), and as a result our dogs were very unsettled with all the activity going past the front window. This wouldn't be a problem if you have laid back pooches and not neurotic ones like ours! ;)

As we had three dogs with us, the property was a little on the cramped side in places as the kitchen/hall are quite small. The freezer, spare fridge, washing machine and tumble dryer are located in an outhouse which we found unusual, together with bikes which are available for your use. We thought a bike rack could be an idea to make access to the fridge etc easier. We did have some problems getting the shower to work - temperamental! We managed successfully to use it Saturday, although it swung wildly from freezing to scalding and back again, but couldn't get it to work at all on the Sunday. Reported this fault to Nick, the owner, so I'm certain this will be rectified for future guests.

The property seemed very clean and is amply equipped. There is a convenience store a few doors along open till 6pm most days for basics should you forget anything (in our case loo roll, as none was provided in the cottage - a possible oversight though). We also located a lovely takeaway in Alnwick, Pizza Royale, which I would recommend for those evenings you really are too tired to cook!

An overall pleasant stay, convenient for the beach, but probably more suited to one dog families! Therefore I can't recommend this to friends as they all have 2+ canines, however as a walking/touring base, Puffin Cottage is a really practical option.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Direct access to the beach.
Liked least: Shared yard area/property heavily overlooked/lack of privacy.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Older travelers
Management Response
Feb 16, 2014
Dianne I am very sorry to read that your stay was not entirely to your satisfaction, but I have to take issue with a couple of the points you make.
With regards toilet roll, there was a roll provided for you, as there is for every guest. After the cleaners have performed the 'turnaround' I spot check the cottage very time and I did this weekend before your arrival. It is me that leaves guests their personalised greeting card, bottle of milk and bottle of wine. Every time I replace the toilet roll, kitchen roll, washing up scourer and set the fireplace. I check you have a supply of tea bags, coffee, washing up liquid and dishwasaher tabs. I ensure all the towels, tea towels & bathmats have been laundered, and that the house has been dressed to the standards I insist upon. Makes no difference to me whether guests are staying for a fortnight or just a weekend, the standard is the same. No oversight - there WAS a roll of toilet paper there for you.
Secondly - 'The bus stop is right outside' - that is inaccurate - it is not even on the same side of the road! Buses only go one way down Northumberland Street, and the bus stop is on the other side of the road and it's not opposite Puffin Cottage,
I live and work in the village, and I leave my guests my contact details and whereabouts. I strive tirelessly to ensure all guests have a 100% enjoyable stay, and I was not made aware on the Sunday that you were finding the shower pull cord temperamental. Had you let me know on the day it would have been sorted it out immediately; but I was not made aware you had a problem until after your departure.
I left you, as I leave every guest, a discount voucher for any supplies you needed from my own shop in Alnmouth, you could have let me know what you wanted and it would have been provided. I don't understand why you chose to go to the other shop in the village, but I do know you would have paid a lot more!
Finally, I'd like to thank you for leaving the cottage in such a clean and tidy state and can only apologise that you were not 100% delighted with your stay.
Flozziebe...
“Very comfortable dog friendly cottage in ideal holiday location .”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 for a stay in February 2014
person found this review helpful

True to description as advertised. We wanted a dogfriendly holiday and thats exactly what we found. Neat compact cottage with everything needed for comfortable winter stay. You need to purchase your own logs and coal but suppliers very close. Bus goes from outside the door. No carpets downstairs so very easy for the dog. All the pubs we tried were dog friendly. The beaches are endless and beautiful. Bikes provided which we didn't use. Highly recommended.

Kate M
York, United Kingdom
“Lovely cottage. Would recommend to others”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 for a stay in January 2014

We stayed here in early January. The beach is a stone's throw so a great location in this fantastic village. The cottage was just what we needed. It was clean cosy and comfortable. It was great we could take the dog too. Nick the owner was brilliant, getting in touch quickly and organising everything plus providing pub recommendations. All in all we will be back and will definitely stay here. Thanks again Nick.

StanWesty...
West yorkshire
“A wonderful stay....”
Reviewed November 8, 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

Me, my husband and two daughters stayed her in August 2013, August 2014 cant come soon enough for our return visit. To sum it up, its a beautiful location, out of the front door, within a couple of minutes your on the beach with rolling sand dunes and shallow paddling friendly sea. All ammenities on the doorstep, the locals are very friendly, plenty of places in the village to eat, drink, walk, relax etc, and by travelling a few miles out of the village you have the un-matchable county of Northumberland at your fett. I would recommend Alnwick Castle and Lindisfarne Island to those who have never been, but there is so much more to explore. We were met with a warm welcome from Nick the owner who is on hand if you need him. If your considering Northumberland, this is a good place to start.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Closeness to the beach
Liked least: Going home!!!
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
YHall32
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great for a family holiday”
Reviewed October 28, 2013 for a stay in October 2013

My husband and I stayed at Puffin Cottage for a week with our 2 daughters during the October week. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay and had a lovely relaxing break.

lizzi043
Durham, United Kingdom
“The perfect holiday cottage for a family”
Reviewed May 24, 2013 for a stay in May 2013
people found this review helpful

This is a perfect family cottage in a charming friendly village on the coast of Northumberland. The cottage has everything you could possibly need or require and everything has been catered for right down to an emergency sewing kit.
I had 2 young children with me and the proximity to the beach could not have been better, it is less than a five minute walk. There are plenty of places to go to eat with young children both during the day and in the evening. We also found a small park at the bottom of the village which the children enjoyed, as well as endless walks and the local bus service to both Berwick and Newcastle stops outside the front door. The owner,Nick, could not have been more friendly and welcoming and made us feel at home from the minute we arrived.
All in all a beautiful cottage in a perfect location and I would recommend this holiday let to anyone.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location within the village
Liked least: No wifi
Traveling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing