First impressions of Hope & Anchor were not great - check in was rather rushed and conducted over a busy public bar and on being shown to our room there was a strong smell of damp.
However after two nights Im pleased to say we did warm somewhat to the place.
Alnmouth itself is a gem with some fanastic local restaurants, shops and a glorious beach.
At the pub, all the staff were lovely and friendly, everything was clean, we had two good nights sleep and our room was warm, comfortable and with decent beds, duvets and pillows. The hospitality tray was great and breakfast, taken in The Italia restaurant next door, and was well cooked and plentiful. We particularly liked the way that dog owners were still able to take breakfast with their pets, but in a seperate area to those without - a nice touch.
On the downside, the bathroom was very dated and tired (the blue plastic sink/bath covered in hard water stains were not very nice), the window frames were all in need of replacing, the carpet took me back to the late 1970's and that damp smell never really went away.
NB the pub has no dedicated parking spaces so you have to fight with everyone else for a space on the roadside. In early March this was difficult enough - in the height of summer I can imagine its a nightmare if you arrive late!
In writing this review I did consider rating the Hope & Anchor as average but to be fair, if you overlook the cosmetic issues that abounded in the rooms, the overall product on offer is pretty good (certainly at the KGB voucher rate) and we didnt actually want for anything during our stay.
Some serious money has clearly been spent updating the restaurant/breakfast area and I hope that over time a similar update will take place in the rooms. If you can get this place on a deal and arent too concerned about appearances then its a decent place to stay. At full price there is much better on offer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Hope & Anchor. We are currently in the progress of refurbishing our bedrooms! We are hoping they all will be completed Easter 2016! Our bar & restaurants are still open and you're more than welcome to join us for the evening for a few drinks and a spot of food! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Book Direct Rooms and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Hope & Anchor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hope & Anchor Hotel Alnmouth
- The Hope And Anchor
- Hope Anchor Alnmouth
- The Hope & Anchor Alnmouth, Northumberland