“Wound up well!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Ate here on Valentine's evening and thoroughly enjoyed my steak dinner. The staff were really friendly and the surroundings were cosy. Pleased they had wifi as never had a phone signal the whole time I was indoors in Alnmouth. The staff even joined in a wind up I was involved in when my boyfriend and brother-in-law thought it be funny to say we hadn't paid the bill after leaving! The young female barmaid definitely got me good when we returned later in evening for a night cap!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Yes, a nicely adapted old public house in historic Alnmouth, but disappointing food of a very ordinary nature that is overpriced. Why? Burger in a bun with chips at £10.95? Steak and ale pie with ordinary vegetables at the same price. Only the lamb shank looks value for money. Who serves kipper pate with french bread? Toast surely. No, I am afraid that believing one's pub is in a 'tourist area' does not make it right to over charge. Pricing real ale at £3.50 a pint is also taking the mick. This is not the south east of England or any city centre with high rental values and business rates . Others before me have praised this place , but I can only suppose their eating experiences are less sophisticated and travelled than mine.Sorry Sun Inn, please take yourself down a notch or two.

1  Thank Major C
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Loved the décor - wood & natural substances on walls. Nice meals & snacks, pet friendly. Busy at lunchtime so go early!
Recommend.

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed in Almouth for the week over New Year this was our last night and last meal so just wanted something light. The pub is very nice inside, the staff are really friendly and the food was great nothing to complain about at all

Don't know what it is about Almouth but not had a bad meal all week!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were really surprised and delighted that we managed to book this lovely little place for lunch on New Years' day, as we only called a few days before. I'm so pleased we did, as I have never seen a busier pub!! It was almost like people were queuing to get in.... Perhaps they were - it's certainly worth the wait.

There were only 4 staff on, and I have no idea how they managed to cope. But they did - with efficiency and were always cheery!

The food was superb - hot, plentiful and very tasty. There were 4 of us, including a child, and none of us left a scrap! lovely kipper pate to start, followed by scampi and lamb shank. The puddings were HUGE (sticky toffee pud and apple and ginger crumble). All food was home cooked - including the custard, which was delicious!

We will definitely be back - although will hopefully not sit by the door again.... Due to the constant procession of people on a cold, wet day.