“Walk in, Walk out.”

Ranked #12 of 14 Restaurants in Alnmouth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Sunny August afternoon looking for lunch, we spotted an outside decking area at the Schooner Inn which we thought would be nice. Walked in and it was filthy, rubbish on the floor, full ashtrays on the dirty tables. We went in and the same was found inside, the staff showed total disinterest, I had to go and look for staff, when I asked to look at a menu a dismissive nod towards a dirty A4 piece of paper made the decision to leave. This establishment does not deserve my hard earned money if they are not willing to work for it. Avoid this place, there are some very fine places to eat in the village.

Date of visit: August 2019
4  Thank Spike1773
Write a reviewReviews (242)

Reviewed August 2, 2019

Waiter made it obvious that we were not welcome by spitting a huge grolly right in front of us and putting on a fake Indian accent as we left. Well done Sir, I am sure your employers will be impressed, just like your colleague who also witnessed your actions. Who would want to eat or stay in this establishment after that? Disgraceful and disgusting. Avoid at all costs.

Date of visit: August 2019
3  Thank 28Gavin
Reviewed July 28, 2019

So, I went and did the whole “what does trip advisor know”, let’s give these people the benefit of the doubt, but I was stupidly wrong.

Taking into account the reviews of neon food, we decided on a tandoori mixed grill, a pair of kormas and a chicken dhansak. Side orders of Bhajis and poppadoms, a couple of rices and a naan. I must admit to a pint of moretti, but whole thing came to 72 quid!

Sat in the bar area to wait on clammy, sticky armchairs in a partially redecorated room. Bits of electric and painting left unfinished.

Food arrived after about 20 mins and we took it back to the house.

It looked as though someone had opened the mixed grill pouch and tipped in a jar of dayglo red sauce, the kormas were sickly sweet and had a gelatinous look about them. Dhansak was far too gloopy and spicy, and had been blitzed to a baby food style purée.

Bhajis tasted liked they had been deep fried in the same oil used to cook fish and chips, and were far too flabby to even contemplate eating.

Poppadoms were ok though

Complete waste of money, time, effort and enthusiasm. Avoid at all costs.

3  Thank 293SimonF
Reviewed July 23, 2019

After reading reviews we were unsure whether to try. The evening before we did think the beers were overpriced but decided to try anyway.

We had the mixed special to share for starters, I had the sizzling Chingri main and hubby had the special weeping tiger from the spice galleon menu with pilau rice and naans.

I’m not great with Indian dishes even though I do like them but was very surprised. The starter was freshly served with light crispy samosas and onion bhajis as well as the meats, side salad and yoghurt dip. tasty, The main was not over spiced, brought in sizzling clay dishes and wasn’t the usual mush I associate with Indian dishes but served in sliced peppers, onions tomatoes etc.

We sat outside but the inside needs attention as it’s incomplete in bars and toilets but could look great. There seems to be a lot of time and money spent refurbishing the hotel and beer garden but it needs to be completed.

Reviewed July 12, 2019 via mobile

Visited this establishment as we all fancied an Indian meal. Good menu and the four of us all enjoyed our choice. As we were the only diners there was no ambiance. The owner /manager was amiable and service was efficient.
However we had a bit of a shock when the bill arrived. The price of the individual meal on the menu seemed ok but once you add rice, naan, poppadoms and drinks the cost of eating out for 4 people shot up to £165.
To be honest, we did find better and cheaper places to eat in the area.