“Well worth a visit”
Review of Red Lion Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alnmouth
Red Lion Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Alnmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and I together with a couple of friends enjoyed an evening meal here whilst we were staying in another property in Alnmouth. We dined in the Restaurant area and found the food great and the service excellent. The following day after a lovely circular walk to Lesbury and back we stopped off at the Red Lion for a lunchtime drink in the bar and a cooked meal which again we found to be most pleasant. Next time we visit Alnmouth we will be booking into the Red Lion without a shadow of a doubt..

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 14, 2012

My family (2 adults and 2 young children) had a lovely meal here on a cold Sunday evening in October. We arrived at 5.30pm and decided to eat in the small restaurant (24 covers?) instead of the bar area only because we needed more space for a highchair. The place was warm and cosy and the staff were all friendly and welcoming.
The food was delicious and our children were well catered for as well. They even brought my son a small bowl of peas (his favourite) even though they weren't on the children menu. All very thoughtful and much appreciated.
I don't think you can reserve tables in the restaurant unless you are staying at the Inn but if you get there early evening you'll be fine.
We would definitely go back and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mozartonholiday
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed here in August at the end of a five day walk from Berwick Upon Tweed. We had stayed here previously for a short break last February. It is a great hotel to stay at to explore this beautiful coastal town and the area. The rooms were excellent on both occasions and the breakfasts were perfect. We dined at the hotel and had an excellent meal with friends who joined us.
Alnmouth is a beautiful spot and I would have no hesitation in booking a room for a short stay at the Red Lion.

Room Tip: We like rooms five and six.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We wanted to visit the Northumberland coast and so booked in at the Red Lion. What a wonderful inn, in a lovely village with a stunning coastline.
The various aspects of the inn can easily be categorised:
Accommodation: excellent. A comfortable room with shower, large bed, quiet.
Food: excellent. Quality meals each evening plus good breakfasts
Beer: something important to me - quality excellent, range excellent. Being able to try beers from breweries I'd never heard of, even better!
Service: excellent; all the staff were friendly and efficient, and couldn't do enough to help.
We quickly made the decision to go back next year and visit the places in the area we didn't get to see.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nick B
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Pub and food review only. As a family on family holidays in the United Kingdom we take our dog with us. The Red Lion is perfect in this respect - family, dog friendly, good food, historic surroundings, ambience, caring staff and 200yds from the most brilliant beach. I do think some reviewers need to get a reality check, look at what the Red Lion is. It is not about cordon blue cooking (and never offers to be) but it is streets ahead of anywhere near, for the reasons I mentioned before.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank denbydale
Reviewed September 17, 2012

En route to Edinburgh we had an overnight stay at the Red Lion, Alnmouth. What a great combination - good accomodation, great food, excellent real ale and beautiful coast-line.
The accomodation was a double room, which was slightly overpriced at £90, especially as our room didn't have en suite. We ate in the restaurant, and the food was excellent - lambs liver was superb, and washed this down with several pints of local real ale. The breakfast the following morning was excellent too. Staff were friendly and helpful. The atmosphere of the place was great too. I'd stay here again, and I'd definitely visit Alnmouth again too - stunning coastal walking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rob S
Reviewed September 14, 2012

whilst on a short break in Northumberland,6th Sept 12, we visited Alnmouth one of my favouriite villages,after a long walk on the beach with the dog, my wife and I decided to have a drink in the Red Lion, to which we have frequented many time before, as dogs are allowed. Not having eaten here before and after looking at the menu, which stated that we would probably have to wait as all the food is cooked fresh, my wife and I decided on the steak and ale pie, with hand cut chips and mushy peas, whilst waiting a pint of Black Sheep beer went down well, which can not be said for the food.
the pastry topping on the pie was very thick and soggy underneath, the whole pie was cold in parts, the chips far from being fresh were reheated and dry, however the mushy peas were good, A meal I was looking forward to was extremely disappointing and was not as described, "Fresh"

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank David L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alnmouth
The Hog's Head Inn
The Saddle Bed and Breakfast
The Schooner Hotel
The Schooner Hotel
#11 of 11 in Alnmouth

Been to Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!