“Peaceful, relaxing, great location!”

Newburgh House - Coxwold
Ranked #1 of 3 Coxwold B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed here for three nights - a long weekend Autumn break. We had a very large room with windows on three sides, lovely furniture and a very comfortable kingsize bed. We couldn't fault the cleanliness, warmth, breakfast choice and helpfullness of the owners. The rooms and landings have a nice variety of artwork. During breakfast the view is out to a lovely walled garden, not at its best in October but well tended, with lots of small birds feeding on a good supply of nuts. We ate in the village pub - good food with some folk singing entertainment, and two further pub/restaurants that the owners recommended. You'll need a torch when you return at night - its very dark! There is much to see nearby. We visited Riveaulx Abbey, Ampleforth Abbey, Rural life museum in Hutton-le-hole, Byland Abbey, walked on the moors and went across to Runswick Bay for a walk along a super beach. All within easy reach! Newburgh House was a great place to stay. We would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in September and loved it. Newburgh House is beautiful,fullof lovely furniture and pictures,with a really wide ,gallery like 1st floor landing. Our room was very spacious and immaculate-all details thought of including China cups and fresh milk for tea and coffee.
Hostess Suzy is very welcoming and clearly takes pride in doing things the right way. Breakfast was as good as any we have had--in a lovely room looking out onto a beautiful walled garden. My fiance was poorly on the first night and missed her breakfast. Suzy provided a tray with tea and toast and marmalade for her to have in our room--very much appreciated. Coxwold is a lovely village-with an excellent pub where we ate one night. There are many places to visit nearby-including York-where we used the park and ride only 25 minutes from Coxwold. We wished we had stayed for longer

Room Tip: We had the very large room at the front-with a huge bathroom which felt like a dressing room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed one night on business. This B&B feels like a large cosy house. I didn't speak much with the hosts but booking was straightforward. My room was very big, with a big bathroom and spotlessly clean. It did feel a bit out of date, though, with a small cathode-ray-ube TV and carpeting in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the road outside very quiet.

It is a little out of Coxwold, which is the nearest place you can get supper or a drink. Bring a torch if you want to walk home at night. The road gets extremely dark.

Breakfast, overlooking the garden, was tasty. I'd have preferred not to have had Classic FM playing in the background but that's just me: I'm sure they know their market.

I'd stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kakistoc
newsuzy, Owner at Newburgh House - Coxwold, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

So pleased you found our house cosy and comfortable.. Just in case you decide to visit us again and I hope you will !! You didn't really have to walk into the village for a meal and drink...we serve dinner and supper every evening but guests do need to book prior to arrival . Some do prefer to stretch their legs after a long journey and we provide torches in the porch at the from door for this purpose ! Apologies for the old TV !! All our old TV's are being replaced this week due to digital change over.. I think I would be most unpopular if I switched classic FM off as the majority of our guests love to hear it !!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at this B&B weekend of the 14th September. The B&B is set just outside of the main village high street, within walking distance if you choose to. The village itself is stunning and very peaceful with a very nice local pub and restaurant.

Newburgh House is a very pretty building with a well tended garden. It's full of character and the welcome was very friendly and warm (especially for the owners little dog). We were asked to fill in our breakfast menu and leave it downstairs in the evening. The room was very warm and cozy with lots of period features. The bathroom was large with a bath and an over bath shower. There was plenty of hot water and clean crisp towels. The bed was comfortable and we had a very good nights sleep.

The breakfast is served from 8-9am and there is plenty of choice including fresh juice, cereal, fruit, full English etc. The service was friendly and prompt and the breakfast room overlooked the pretty garden- a lovely way to start the day.

Some of the facilities do look a little tired such as some wall paper coming away in the bathroom, the very small archaic TV etc- however, we did not go away to watch tv and overall I liked the rustic feel to the accommodation.

We would have loved to have stayed a little longer to explore this beautiful part of the world and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I booked two nights (minimum stay at this b&b) as a little treat for ourselves. We can't fault the place itself, looks lovely from the outside, inside is very clean and tidy with lots of bits and bobs to look at. Our room was large and nicely furnished, would have been lovely to see the gorgeous fireplace rather than a very old TV sat on a table in front of it, but thats my personel view. The bed was very comfortable - lovely quality duvets and pillows. The bathroom was also large and we had ensuite (some rooms have a private bathroom just next door rather than ensuite - dressing gowns provided to spare any blushes!), both bath and over bath shower in our room. Lovely big towels and toilettries provided. We stayed for evening meal on our first night - there is no choice (you feel as if you're sharing their evening meal) - we are lucky and will try and usually like most things so enjoyed the very nice meal we had, but perhaps if you are fussy or have any special dietary needs check this out before you book. All the salad/veg/fruit is home grown so extra delicious! We were visited by Maisy, a gorgeous puppy, who made friends with us all with her cute face and waggy tail!! There is a breakfast menu provided, just tick what you want for next morning and a time you wish to eat (within the serving times!). The food is again fresh and nicely presented, the breakfast room overlooks the immaculate garden. It would have been nice to be able to sit out to have a pre dinner g&t or an early morning coffee, but this is not allowed? There is a lovely pub in the village - just 10 mins walk if you want a drink or two (no bar at Newburgh House as such, but you can have wine with meal and are offered a pre meal drink), or a meal if Newburgh can't offer you one. Or the hosts at Newburgh House will recommend others if you don't mind driving to them.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank doncasterfamily

I thought I had better let you know ( in case you visit us again ) , all our old TV's are being replaced this week due to digital change over !!

I am pleased you enjoyed your meals ...we do always ask our guests prior to arrival , if they have any dislikes or allergies ...

All our guests are very welcome to use our lovely gardens and I really cannot understand why you thought otherwise !!
Do hope you were not too disappointed .. Maisie is still making lots of friends !

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Spent two nights at Newburgh House in Coxwold village with my dog. I found this little 6 roomed B&B was cosy, pretty and typically English in its setting, with a lovely view of the rear garden from my bedroom. The host Suzy was friendly and helpful in showing me some local walks, which I thoroughly recommend to do if one has some hours to spare.

My room is very comfortable and well equipped for a B&B, the telly was a bit small by today's standards but perfectly fine for me. The bed was extremely comfy with nice, crisp white sheets.

Breakfast was tasty, with a good choice of the typical fare, all served in the charming breakfast room overlooking the garden. Watching an acrobatic squirrel steal nuts off a bird table only several feet away was priceless.

Beautiful location next to a lake and off road parking makes this a great B&B to visit.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the rear garden for quiet views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Attended a wedding at nearby Newburgh priory, so this seemed like the ideal location. They would only accept bookings of 2 nights or more which was a slight inconvenience. Tried to check in early evening, owner was rude, brusque, and unwelcoming. This attitude continued for the duration of the stay.
I expected a lot more from such a highly rated establishment.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Holidaymouse2011
newsuzy, Owner at Newburgh House - Coxwold, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

This is a nasty vindictive review wriiten by a guest who attended a nearby wedding on 28th July 2012
All our rooms had been booked by the bride for the nights of 27/28th July and allocated to her guests. they were booked & a deposit paid in October 2011. The guests were to pay their own accounts. The writer of this review did not arrive until after 6pm on the 28th. No explanation was given for not coming the night before. I did say "I was expecting you yesterday " If this was interpreted as "rude or Grumpy" then it was not intended to be . I offered a cot and a high chair & food for the baby ( whom I didn't know was coming )
This is a question of sour grapes ! They had hoped not to pay for the 1st night regrettably we have to maintain a business ! Please read our other reviews !

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coxwold
Fauconberg Arms
#1 of 3 in Kilburn
Byland Abbey Inn
Byland Abbey Inn
#3 of 3 in Coxwold

Been to Newburgh House - Coxwold? Share your experiences!