All reviewsdurham oxoverlooking the gardenlocal countrysideeggs from their own henssecret recipehome baked biscuitslovely villagefauconberg armswhite company toiletriesan en suite bathroomtea traybooked a tablesitting roomspent two nightsattending a weddingcomfortable bedsweekend break
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Attended a wedding at nearby Newburgh priory, so this seemed like the ideal location. They would only accept bookings of 2 nights or more which was a slight inconvenience. Tried to check in early evening, owner was rude, brusque, and unwelcoming. This attitude continued for the duration of the stay.
I expected a lot more from such a highly rated establishment.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Holidaymouse2011
newsuzy, Owner at Newburgh House - Coxwold, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

This is a nasty vindictive review wriiten by a guest who attended a nearby wedding on 28th July 2012
All our rooms had been booked by the bride for the nights of 27/28th July and allocated to her guests. they were booked & a deposit paid in October 2011. The guests were to pay their own accounts. The writer of this review did not arrive until after 6pm on the 28th. No explanation was given for not coming the night before. I did say "I was expecting you yesterday " If this was interpreted as "rude or Grumpy" then it was not intended to be . I offered a cot and a high chair & food for the baby ( whom I didn't know was coming )
This is a question of sour grapes ! They had hoped not to pay for the 1st night regrettably we have to maintain a business ! Please read our other reviews !

Reviewed April 17, 2012

We spent a wonderful weekend at Newburgh House with our close friends and dog Ruby.
From the minute we arrived on Friday evening, it was relaxation all the way.
We were greeted by Suzw ie and Colin's beautiful daughter who was helping out because her mum was ill. She made us so welcome and it was definitely home from home.
After a day at work and then travelling to Coxwold, it was relaxing to sit in front of the log fire with a drink or three before dinner was served in the beautiful dining room. We had opted for the bed, breakfast & evening meal deal on both nights, which did not disappoint with fresh veg and herbs from the garden. After a lovely meal, we were visited by Maisie, the most beautiful puppy I have ever seen. She was an absolute joy and our dog Ruby, thoroughly enjoyed playing with her.
The house itself is a stunning & beautiful place which is tastefully decorated & furnished with very well appointed and large rooms. We splashed out and went for the luxury room which was huge & had a sofa and chairs to sit and watch the rugby on a large flat screen TV. The queen size bed was extremely comfortable with luxurious bedding, affording a wonderful nights sleep.
I would thoroughly recommend this wonderful gem of a place to anyone in need of a total chill out. We will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joby15
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My wife and I along with the her parents stayed at Newburgh House for a long weekend and we had a simply wonderful time. The location is beautiful, the accommodation is very comfortable and clean and the hosts are excellent. The biggest compliment I can give is to describe it as a home away from home. I have no hesitation in recommending Newburgh House to anyone who's looking for something with a personal touch in an exceptional location!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My partner, my dog and I had a pleasant week-end here and the setting is beautiful. I'm not used to a B&B and not having any public rooms available, so you don't really get to meet any fellow visitors apart from at breakfast. However our bedroom was clean and nicely furnished, breakfast was very good, Suzie was very helpful with regard to suggesting good walks around the area. I did miss having a shower in the bathroom tho and breakfast was very early for us later risers!. If you want a peaceful retreat for a week-end stay then I would reccommend Newburgh House.

Room Tip: if you want a shower in your bathroom carefully check the details.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank partygirl369
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Following our wedding, we stayed with Colin and Suzie Bell for a long weekend. Newburgh House is bar far in the best setting for traquility, peace and comfort. Colin and Suzie were very welcoming and thoughtful after our horiffic day with the traffic. Both are very warm people and nothing was too much trouble. We enjoyed the long walks that were recommended and especially the restaurants that Suzie booked for us for our evening meals. Such Hospitality is priceless and definately well worth visiting again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family