“Nice pub in a lovely location”
Review of Fauconberg Arms

Fauconberg Arms
Ranked #2 of 3 Coxwold B&B and Inns
South Yorkshire
“Nice pub in a lovely location”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Nice, friendly country pub, located in a very pretty village. Lovely food and well presented, although the menu was quite 'fish' orientated. Good selection of wines and beers, and reasonably priced. Thankyou for a pleasant stay.
NB no telephone in our room, could use the pubs' phone for a small fee or walk to the Church yard where you could receive mobile networks...no probs as it was a warm and sunny evening.

Room Tip: Beautiful 4 poster room with lovely view of the village, but the bed's a 'creaky one' an...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2011

friendly and welcoming. Food was fantastic. good real ales pub full of character. beautiful garden.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Just driving around in North Yorkshire exploring, we pulled up in the sunshine in a perfect English village outside the pub and both said - lets stay. Luckily one room was available and it was gorgeous. We had dinner which was delicious with really good flavours. All the staff were friendly and relaxed - will definately go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CJL50
Fauconberger, Owner at Fauconberg Arms, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review,it is very much apreciated .
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Stayed here for a weekend getaway. Superb friendly service from this family run pub. Nothing too much trouble and was made to feel really welcome. Rooms great (we had the 4 poster bed!). The food was excellent especially the "custom made" cheeses and the honey and whisky ice cream. Really great, family run, village pub, hotel B&B. Will be going back soon. Sunday lunch well worth a try too.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My experience cannot be further from that of the previous poster. We had a fantastic stay at the Fauconberg Arms at a very affordable price and we were amazed at the lengths the staff went to to accommodate us. A little eavesdropping at the bar brought the previous review to my attention and has driven me to post my own.

My husband & I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and wanted a venue that would enable us to travel with our 22mth old son and dog but allow us to enjoy a good meal, nice accommodation and most importantly a few drinks in the evening with the little one within monitor reach!

Our great experience started with the call to make the reservation - nothing was too much trouble, adjustments were made to accommodate our party and there was no sharp intake of breath at the mention of the infant or dog! Many establishments market themselves as family/dog friendly and on arrival it is clear that you are tolerated rather than welcomed - this is certainly not the case at Fauconberg. The bar staff were quickly on first name terms with my little boy - chatting to him and producing toys for him to play with.

The food was excellent. Disappointingly my preferred dish had sold out during the day but this assured us that the supplies were fresh. The menu is limited for non-meat eaters like myself and it would be great to see more fish/vegetarian dishes added to the menu.

There is no children's menu but they will happily produce a small version of any of the dishes which I find preferable to the rubbish you generally find on children's menu's. A highchair was available and set up for us and I was particularly impressed that children's cutlery was provided and the meal was served on a lovely 'Hungry Caterpillar' melamine plate - small touches that make all the difference to parents wanting a stress free evening.

Breakfast was a delight with a full English for him, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for me and a boiled egg for the little one. Plentiful cereal, yoghurt and fruit was available. Again the highchair was ready and waiting and set with mini cutlery.

Coxwold is a beautiful little village surrounded by stunning countryside and lovely walks. We enjoyed a stroll to the neighboring village of Husthwaite enjoying a pint at the Balmoral on route! There is a lovely little playground behind the village hall, ideal if you are travelling with children who need to burn off a little steam.

The only real criticism we had of the Fauconberg arms was the shortage of real Ale available. Theakston's Best and one local ale were all that were on offer, although a local Scrumpy from the keg was available for cider lovers.

We will return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JetSetWannabe_1980
France
Reviewed March 30, 2011

My husband and I spent (thankfully) just one night at this Pub with B & B. Granted, it looks the part, being a pretty building in York Stone, in a pretty little village with surrounding attractions, i.e. the white Horse at Kilburn nearby - but it does not live up to its looks, or the misleading advertising blurb on the Internet. On the webpage is a claim as "Best B & B 2009" - what is NOT stressed is that this is simply a meaningless award from the local Tourist Office, and let's face it, the tourist Offices give these "awards" out willy-nilly.

Although we were given a choice of rooms, being the only visitors this day, we did see all the letting rooms, and they were nicely decorated etc. However, the room we chose was clean except for a pubic hair which I found on a bedside table, and actually had no chairs at all - we had to ask for chairs which were brought from another room.

There is absolutely NO Mobile Telephone Reception/connection in the village apparently; this really ought to be stressed on the internet advertising, and which is probably not the Pub owners fault - but this is a terrible state of affairs, when there is no telephone connection in the room either. The small television was very 'greasy/dirty' with smears all over the screen, and it was very slow at changing channels etc.

The bathroom was very big with a modern suite - this comprised a very deep, roll-top bath (more on that later) and a totally SQUARE toilet, and Victorian-stype hand-basin.
The bath is extremely difficult to get into and even harder to safely get out - that could just be my perception of it, but my husband, who is very fit, active and strong also found it difficult to get out of it. But my main complaint about the Bathroom is the weird, modern-shaped SQUARE toilet - this is particularly uncomfortable, as the front "points" of the "square" dig into one's thighs when seated. For all its' "modern-ness" there is NO toilet-roll-holder ... the toilet roll just has to sit on top of the toilet cistern! There was a good selection of nice toiletries in the bathroom and the towels were very good.

In the bedroom there are ample items to make refreshments, and small bottles of water, a nice touch.

The food however, was absolutely dreadful. It is basically Pub Grub, and very poor at that. For "Gammon and Pineapple" I was served a COLD slice of something resembling poor quality cooked meat. I had requested an egg as an extra - and the eggs (there were two) were well cooked but COLD. The only thing on my plate which was warm (not hot) were the chips. My husband's dish of (mis-spelled) "Medallions of Pork" (I think they meant 'MEDAILLONS') was disappointing.

Next morning, having slept very badly because of the hard, flat bed and pillows (which are feather and very flat/thin) we had breakfast, which was a slight improvement on the evening meal, but sad to say, the best thing on the table was the toast - this appears to be home-baked bread, and very good it was too. The rest was very poor, and the mushrooms had a particularly weird texture and taste.

What should have been a restful and refreshing break for us did not live up to expectations, and we were very glad to get back home and have a decent sleep and some edible food. This place is far too dear for what it is - and serious lessons need to be learned by all concerned.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StTropezLover
We were all very dissapointed that these customers did not enjoy their stay with us.
We always try to accomodate our guest wishes and when we have more than one room available we will show these to guests and let them choose the style of bathrooms etc for themselves.
With regards to all the other points raised by the reviewer all we would ask is that any issues are raised with us immediatley so that we are at least be given the opportunity to make our guests' visit an enjoyable one.
It is very difficult to please every one all the time but if any customer is dissapointed with any aspect of their visit we will put it right if possible at the time.
barnsley, england
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Just got back from a one night stay at the Fauconberg and can't wait to return. From the minute we arrived, we were made to feel extremely welcome and throughout our stay the owners couldn't have done any more to make sure we were happy.
We stayed in a beautiful room called, Thixendale. It has a large modern bathroom with roll tap bath which was a delight and gorgeous countryside views. Having also viewed standard rooms, I think it is definitely worth paying the extra for a luxury room. I have read a review that someone wasn't pleased with the lack of wifi etc. in the rooms. Personally, I would go to a Premier Inn if that mattered that much to me. It's a 17th century Inn! I actually liked the fact that it was a little cut off from the modern world, it felt truly relaxing. And such a beautiful village.
Although the pub is small, it is exactly what we wanted - a cosy, cushioned pew by the fire. The restaurant is lovely and rustic and Helen was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the menu. Yes, there were some things that they hadn't got, but that goes to prove they don't just grab stuff from the freezer. The scallops I had (delivered by the fishmonger that morning) were the plumpest and juiciest I had ever tasted. All the food was great and good value I feel.
The full English breakfast was fantastic - included delicious black pudding. I suppose a croissant may have been nice too but you can't have everything!
Finally, the little shop around the back is worth a look, whether it be for a homemade jar of jam, a fresh loaf of bread out of the Agar, a bottle of wine or unique, locally crafted furnishings. I bought an irresistible small wooden chair with a cushion for my little boy. Made my visit complete!
Overall, loved it here and will be back before the end of the year. Book a luxury room and you won't be disappointed! Cheers.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank barnsleygaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coxwold
The Black Swan Hotel
White Horse Lodge Hotel
Forresters Arms
Forresters Arms
#1 of 3 in Kilburn

Been to Fauconberg Arms? Share your experiences!