My husband and I were travelling from south west Cumbria to Butlins at Skegness on our motorbikes to attend the Motorcycle News Live show. We decided to add an extra day to our trip to cut down on the travelling time;as it's not too warm yet and we've become fairweather bikers in our old age! As neither of us have done much of the east coast it would also give us chance to visit Whitby and Scarborough en route. I found the Captain Cook Inn on Expedia and it seemed to be just what we wanted. When we arrived the first reaction was not good! It looked a bit shabby and run down. However the friendliness of the staff and the locals in the bar quickly won us round and we learned that it was under new management and currently being refurbished. We chose freshly caught haddock from the menu, which was lightly battered to perfection and served with proper chunky homemade chips and mushy peas. To my husband's delight they were having a beer festival, so after our meal we proceeded to sample several of their splendid collection of real ales. The landlord was a mine of information about the local area and took time to show us several of the many pictures which hang on the bar walls, forming a pictorial history of the area and the building which was orginally a hotel for the railway that ran through the village. We had a comfortable night and will return in the future. They are dog friendly
too, always a bonus for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Captain Cook Inn sits in the top of the beautiful village of Staithes, situated on the Cleveland Way and only 10 miles to Whitby, its perfectly situated for all travellers. The Inn offers nine well appointed rooms, all en-suite, with TV, complementary refreshment trays and bathroom goodies. There is free parking for customers and free access to wi-fi. Customers have a choice of guest real ale's or can opt for our locally brewed Northern Navigator from the well stocked bar, which has been voted Winter Pub of the Season 15/16 by the local CAMRA group. Our menu is varied and we offer a 'specials' board along side our regular menu. Our freshly prepared food can be enjoyed either in the bar or in the elegent dining room, or indeed weather permitting alfresco! We also offer great Sunday Lunches every Sunday throughout the year. All our food is freshly prepared in our 5 star hygiene rated kitchen. Whether you're just popping in for a drink, a bite to eat or staying for a while in one of our comfortable rooms, we will ensure you have a thoroughly enjoyable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Book Direct Rooms so you can book your Captain Cook Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Captain Cook Hotel Staithes
- Captain Cook Inn Staithes, Yorkshire