“Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Lion

Blue Lion
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Recently went to the Blue Lion for lunch, having enjoyed evening meals here in the past. Paul, the owner always makes us feel welcome, and we really like the atmosphere here. However the waiter who greeted us said, we had to sit in the back bar, as we had our baby daughter, and ''this is where children and dogs etc have to sit''. I feel perhaps he could have worded this better. It wasn't too much of an issue, but it would have been nice if they had stoked up the fire in there, as it was a cold day.
I had the mushroom soup to start, which was lovely, and then a beef and horseradish sandwich with chips for main. Unfortunately the chips were really hard, beyond edible and there was no horseradish on the sandwich, so I had to order separately. Apart from this, food was nice and my husband enjoyed his meal. I feel the lunch menu is a little pricey for what it is, and there could be more choice on the set menu. I still look forward to eating here again, hopefully for an evening meal, without children so we can relax!

• Visited November 2013

Richmond, United Kingdom
“Well deserved Pub Of The Year 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

I agree with the sentiments of a recent reviewer...this place offers superb service/atmosphere and food...Three of us ...all foodies and two of us who work in the industry...all enjoyed an outstandingly good lunch... We are regulars at the Blue Lion... We have never yet been disappointed...I too find it really really hard to believe the recent vindictive reviews referred to.

The service at our lunch could not have been bettered. It was cheerful, professional, polite and intelligent. The food was spot on. The beer and wines as ever excellent...and the finishing coffee and petite four...perfect.

We also send guests from our guest house and have consistently good reports both for lunch and dinner.

I and my eating companions love the Blue Lion...where else can you enjoy candles, an open fire a warm welcome and excellently prepared food at a reasonable price...the place was quite rightly selected by the judges of the Good Pub Guide.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank AUSTIN l
great broughton
“PUB OF THE YEAR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

As an ex- employee at The Blue Lion in East Witton, I find it hard to believe some of the vindictive reviews placed on their page. "Is this place still open","No improvement","Pricey and average".

As for "Pricey and average"...Having first hand experience I agree with Pricey, but certainly that is what anyone can expect for a high quality meal cooked by qualified chefs and served by trained staff. This is why we still return to The Blue Lion. Aunt Bessie Yorkshires? Give me a break. It is freshly cooked every Sunday before lunch service. I know that because I used to bake them. Perhaps the reviewer should stick to perfect shop bought version or invest in a cooking book and learn how to cook your own Yorkshire Puddings.

I can understand the fact that different views come to light when visiting various establishments. Some good and some bad. What angers me is the comments of so called FOODIES who have never set a foot and cooked a meal in a restaurant environment.

My wife and I went for a meal with our child on his birthday and had two courses. Paul, the owner, brought him a dessert with a candle. What a nice touch. As always the food was well prepared and we did not find it pricey.

Keep up the good work and we will see you soon.
Congratulations on winning the THE PUB OF THE YEAR. (I am jealous!)

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Johan v
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Celebration Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had lunch here to celebrate a family birthday. The private dining room was ideal for such an occasion. Everyone enjoyed their meals, the service was attentive and all staff we encountered were both polite and helpful.

• Visited October 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A strange experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Dinner last Saturday evening comprised a delicious and hearty bowl of butternut squash soup followed by a huge and tasty steak and kidney pudding. At least it did for my wife - she was delighted!

My experience was completely different. I ordered crab and spinach raviolone and shellfish bisque. The single raviolone, topped with micro herbs (?!), sat in a glass bowl completely covering the teaspoonful of bisque. I feel quite embarrassed to say that I assumed that the bisque would come separately in a jug and just sat waiting for it for several minutes until I moved the cooling pasta to see the drop of soup underneath it.

My main retained the underwhelming theme. Twice cooked belly pork comprised one slice of belly pork with the crackling removed. The meat had been cooked until all flavour and moisture had been completely removed. The skin had then been reintroduced but was not crackling. It was chewy and hairy - very unpleasant! Both mashed potatoes and apple sauce were smeared on the plate - very pretty, but not very satisfying. A meal is fundamentally meant to be eaten - not merely admired.

So, I learned an important lesson - order the same options as my wife!

I'm still waiting for someone to offer us dessert and coffee. In the end we got our bill from reception because no member of staff came anywhere near us for at least 20 minutes.

There seemed to be something fundamentally wrong with what is being offered at the Blue Lion. Last time We ate there, about six years ago it was rally, really good. This time they seemed comfortable with simple, we'll tried dishes. More challenging dishes are much less successful and portion control has been taken to ridiculous lengths. It cannot justify the prices it charges for some dishes and yet it offers good value on others.

This was a disappointing experience, reflecting what appears to be a worrying drop in standards

Visited October 2013