“Lost property”
Review of The Blue Lion

The Blue Lion
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Witton
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent a lovely weekend at the Blue Lion. I left without checking the wardrobe, leaving a thick winter coat and new scarf hanging in there. I e mailed the hotel to see if they would post it back, which they did the same day. An example of really good customer service. Thank you.

Room Tip: We had spacious Room 3.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
hk20, Owner at The Blue Lion, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

You're welcome - I hope the coat arrived back with you before the snow did. Thank you for your comments, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

To date my trip advisor reviews have been revenge attacks for poor food and shoddy service both of which are completely unacceptable and make me angry. I work hard for my money and when it comes to time out, irrespective of how much i am paying, I expect businesses to take pride and provide value for money. The Blue Lion never lets us down. We prefer to eat in the bar, where the atmosphere is more relaxed and yet the service not compromised. I have come to the conclusion that e best way to chose from the menu is to simplify the choice to lamb, beef, chicken, fish, veggie etc as whatever I hose the chef seems to get it spot on, so frankly don't see the need for menuese. This place simply serves very good food at a very fair price. They also choose very good wines without fleecing me. I love it here and wish every day was a blue lion day.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank potterplans

Thank you for your lovely comments which are much appreciated by all our team. We look forward to your next Blue Lion day!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

My brother invited us to the Blue Lion for my birthday. I was disappointed that he had not booked a table, especially as it was on a Saturday night! We therefore had to sit in the bar area. This was the best evening we have spent in a pub. A game shooting party arrived complete with guns whach they neatly hung on the pegs by the door. The obedient dogs lay on the floor and the waitresses nimbly stepped over them to serve the bar tables' food.
It was a country pub at its very best. The food and wine were good and the free enertainment of the waitresses circumnavagating the dogs a real hoot! All in all a memorable evening.

Room Tip: If you want the restaurant - book a table!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank raeside_auld
hk20, Public Relations Manager at The Blue Lion, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments; you've hit the nail on the head! We are a traditional 18th Century English Country Coaching Inn and Real Ale Country Pub with a warm welcome and fine food, full of character and characters. We are delighted to hear you had an enjoyable and memorable birthday. We hope to welcome you again sometime soon and we do recommend booking at the weekends.

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Blue Lion while we were staying with friends from a nearby village.
When we arrived the place was packed. We told a waitress that we had booked a table and she told us to check in at the bar and get a drink as our table would not be ready. This sounded easier than it was, the bar was 3 people deep and there was only one member of staff.
We were advised that our table would be in the corner so paid for our drinks and took a seat. Turns out we had been pointed to the wrong table and even though there was a reserved sign someone was sitting on our table having drinks. Once they had been seated in the restaurant we could have our table.
Our table was right next to the fire, which was raging on the cold winter night. I, on the other hand, was virtually melting especially when the fire kept sparking and flicked embers onto one of our party!
Service was a bit hit and miss. We asked 3 times for a wine list before I went to the bar to get one myself. I know it was busy but the waiting staff had to walk past the wine lists to get to our table! We decided what we wanted to order only to be told that two of the items we wanted had sold out, surely we could have been told this when we were seated.
Starters arrived. I ordered pigeon, which was tepid, I assume it was supposed to be hot as the carrots on the plate were. One friend had scallops, delicious but very expensive at £11.95 for 3 scallops. My husband ordered the risotto which had too much truffle oil for him. Another friend went for the smoked duck salad which was also delicious. Mains - 2 of us had the lamb which was served lovely and pink, my husband had the belly pork which was nice but the crackling was think and not crunchy and it took a while for him to decide whether it had been served with ice cream or mash as the accompaniment was so cold. One friend had steak and kidney pudding, which was again delicious. Desserts - I chose the vanilla and fudge parfait with figs and honey. Big mistake! Too much fudge made it sickly and the figs were completely tasteless! My husband had the liquorice Arctic roll which he said was possibly the worst dessert he had ever eaten. No real liquorice flavour and the pineapple was more cremated than caramised. One friend had the treacle sponge, nice if a little lemony, and another had raspberry sorbet which was good, if a little small.
By the time we had finished most people had left so we asked for the bill. When it arrived we had been charged for the drinks we had on arrival which we had already paid for so had to get those taken off the bill. Between the four of us the bill came to nearly £200 for 3 courses with one bottle of wine, which considering the quality of the food and service I though was a bit steep. I've eaten much better food for similar and better prices in the local area so it is very doubtful we would return.

• Stayed: January 2013
hk20, Owner at The Blue Lion, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you were unhappy with some aspects of your visit.
We appreciate your feedback as we do strive to provide a high standard of food and service, regardless of how busy we are, and I'm sorry you felt that we didn't achieve that on this occasion.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The food is very good, the staff are ideal for this type of hotel, it's a wonderful part of the world but the refurbishment programme which is underway cannot be completed too quickly. As others have remarked, the upgrading is well overdue - plug sockets not functioning, loo seat lid missing etc. and generally weary looking. Normally, we would have made a comment at the time but it was a brief stay and we had no intention of spoiling an annual get together with friends.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank philnash

It was good to speak with you yesterday, to hear more about visit and listen to your valuable feedback. We are sorry that things didn't work as intended and will correct the issues mentioned. We are delighted that you intend to come back at some point and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

stays recently and after having not been for a year it was as good as we remembered really welcoming staff and as always the food is both beautifully presented and wonderfully tasty can't wait to go back

• Stayed: January 2013
hk20, Owner at The Blue Lion, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments, we are delighted you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were made to feel most welcome from the moment of our arrival and we found both the staff and management helpful to a fault. The characterful bars are helped by the well tended fires. The rooms are tired and need updating and for the room cost, one really should have a TV that works properly. The food selection is good and included a good choice of game (although the blackboard does not necessarily change with what is available which can be disappointing). Both the food and wine is fairly good but pricey for what it is and one must assume that the chef has a preference towards dryish dishes as we found supplementary gravy/sauces were needed. Contrary to the reported experience of others, breakfasts were no more than OK; toast that was consistently as limp as a flannel and soft eggs that only matched our request on fourth attempt!

Room Tip: If you have a room at the front, although a delightful view over the village and dales beyond, be pr...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jayesandveetee
hk20, Owner at The Blue Lion, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

We are pleased that you felt welcome and our staff are friendly and helpful. As you'll understand it's difficult for hotels to decorate at anytime to ensure as little disturbance as possible for guests. Therefore, most hotels try to do this work during quieter months and you'll be delighted to hear this begins very shortly and our new rooms will be ready for the Spring. Whilst it may look on a short stay that the Blackboard doesn't change, we in fact change it every few days to reflect the fresh seasonal ingredients available. I apologise that the breakfast was not to the standard of delivery for your personal preference but as you acknowledge the Blue Lion has a generally fine reputation for great food delivery, as reflected by other contributors.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Witton
The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel
The Old Deanery
The Old Deanery
#2 of 5 in Ripon

Been to The Blue Lion? Share your experiences!