“Fantastic Fish & Chips” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The White Swan Hotel and Restaurant

The White Swan Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Middleham
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Preston, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Fish & Chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

A lovely atmosphere and really tasty fish and chips with light crispy batter. What a delight - we'll definitely come again!

Visited November 2012

Market Deeping, United Kingdom
“Good mixture of pub & restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Whilst staying in Middleham for one week we visited The White Swan on 3 occasions. The pub was warm and friendly and the restaurant very professional. Fair choice on the menu but more detail as to which meals included veg would be good. Paying extra for veg on top of the price was a little over the top, we thought. The food was well cooked and tasty. Service was excellent with the young Manager (son of owner) doing a brilliant job - well done and thanks for making our holiday so enjoyable.

• Visited October 2012
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Great local pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Friendly pub with lovely warm fire. They were playing excellent sole music but they could have done with more lighting in the two rooms. First class toilets

Visited October 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Disappointing and Lazy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I visited the restaurant a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday evening with my family and was initially very excited by the menu which had some very appealing sounding dishes on there that made me wish I was staying in the town for the week so that I could work my way through the list, but sadly by the end of the meal a return visit was most certainly not on my to do list.

We were shown to our booked table, handed food menus and after a few minutes asked what we would like to drink. As it is a hotel/pub/restaurant affair, I wasn't quite sure if we were ordering pub style or restaurant style, however I took a chance and asked if a wine menu was available, and sure enough one was brought over.....why did I have to ask??

The bottle of wine that I ordered arrived, but to be honest it was well overpriced for what it was. I ordered belly pork and there wasn't any indication of anything accompanying it, although the price reflected that it should, so I asked if it would be wise to order side vegetables with it and I was told it was. So I was paying a bit over the odds for pork and had to pay even more to get a full dinner. I realise that this is getting standard practice in a lot of restaurants now to order vegetables extra, but the price for the main was pushing it. When my pork arrived, I was somewhat surprised at how little there was of it, two small slices. In contrast, one of our party had a huge portion of fish and chips, that was very nice actually.

After finishing mains, it took forever to order dessert as the four waitresses just weren't anywhere to be seen and when they were it was like they had blinkers on, focused on doing a job near diners and then scampering back off somewhere.

When some service did appear, I ordered cheese/biscuits. This took literally twenty minutes to arrive, given that there were only four tables eating and four waitresses, completely bizarre. A miserly portion of cheese for the price and no chutney......so checking back with the menu, no promise of chutney, but they did include the 2cm of sliced radish that was on the list.

Asked for the bill and really just wanted to leave and have drinks elsewhere, it turned up promptly, but after waiting ten minutes for someone to take credit card payment, I resorted to cash and putting our coats on.

From the initial excitement of seeing that exciting sounding menu, I was sadly disappointed by sloppy, lazy service and glaring miserliness in what came out from the kitchen which really smacked of short changing diners whilst charged ramped up prices for a profit.

I was left with the feeling of a place that had pretentions above its abilities. An ambitious menu highly priced for both food and drinks and waiting staff that weren't trained properly. All felt like shortcuts to profits.

Such a shame, if you treat diners fairly, take a lower margin and give good service you will get repeat business and avoid reviews such as this. Such a shame, it could have been so different so easily.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Julesbusiness
Bingley, United Kingdom
“good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Excellent menu and food was of high quality. Service was excellent. The menu was a little pricy, but they had no competition in Middleham on the two nights we ate there.
Bar prices are extotionate. Over £8 for a beer and a wine.

• Visited September 2012